2 6600GT's vs 1 6800GT

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by ChesterMcCheese, Jan 20, 2005.

1. ChesterMcCheese

ChesterMcCheese Member

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews as to which one runs faster. The general attitude here is that 1 6800GT beats 2 6600GT's, and I've seen plenty of benchmarks to support that, but I read the interesting article in the newest Atomic magazine, and the results show that 2 6600GT's beats 1 6800GT outright, in everything except Doom 3 at low resolutions. This kinda contradicts other benchmarks done where I have seen the 6800GT come out more and more increasingly on top as resolutions and detail levels increase. I don't normally respect magazine reviews, but this one is shows the 2 6600's in SLI kick so much ass I wanted to see if there is any truth to it. Anybody wish to explain, or link me to some accurate benchmarks?

2. Fodder

Fodder (Banned or Deleted)

I trust Atomic's reviews about as far as I can throw them, and let's pretend here just for the sake of illustration that the magazine is crafted from sheets of raw osmium. I've always found Tech Report to do pretty good reviews, and coincidentally they just released a 6600GT SLI piece.

3. OP
    OP
    ChesterMcCheese

ChesterMcCheese Member

That review pretty much shows 6600GT SLI beats 6800GT convincingly in everything except a few tests at high res, details maxed to 4X/8X. Same as Atomic I'm afraid. Generally I'd trust any review from a legit source, as long as the tests done are reasonaly and non biased. Where was the reviews that proved that 6800GT is better than 6600GT SLI?

4. MrHanky

MrHanky Member

I was originally looking @ 2x 6600GT cards in SLI mode, yet I decided on a single 6800GT for the following reasons:

1. Similar performance.
    2. Ease of upgrade later

Let's consider that 2x6600GT and 2x6800GTs are essentially the same (price wise and performance wise), give or take a few FPS.

Even if the 6800GT is 90% of the performance of 2x6600GTs, you've got yourself an option for in 12 mths time - spend $200 and get an 80% performance boost...

The alternative is that you'd have to throw out the 2x6600GTs and then buy a next-gen card.

Estimated figures:

2x 6600GTs = $700
    Replacement vid card in 12-24mths time = $700

1x 6800GT = $700
    2nd 6800GT in 12-24mths time = $200-$300

Just some food for thought...

5. Nhutty

Nhutty Member

i would definitely choose the 1X6800GT option for now and have the upgrade option there for later use. This is especially true if the performance difference between a single 6800Gt and 6600GTs in SLI is small

6. r3b0rN

r3b0rN Member

I like SLI, but I dont like the idea of adding a card a whole 2 years down the line, by then the latest middle ranged card will be just as good as 2x6800GT if not better.

7. fugly81

fugly81 Member

Cost and upgradability I'd go for a 6800 like the others said. But also because of resolution...

6600GT SLI really shines under high resolutions, anything less and the difference is barely noticable. I tend to run at 1280x1024 (max) so i dont really see the the point of getting SLI straight away. The upgrade path is tempting though :)

8. chestRcopRpot

chestRcopRpot Member

Hmm, isnt that actually its downfall. With only 128Mb of effective ram. 1600 with aa and af takes a huge hit. and as time goes on as newer games come out that will only become more apparent.

9. Pacifist

Pacifist Member

As i tried (badly) to explain in another post, the delay between what happens in game and what you see on screen when running 2 SLI cards in AFR mode is twice as much as a single card at the same frame-rate.
    So even if a 6800GT is slightly slower, gameplay wise it would be preferable.

10. happyhero

happyhero (Banned or Deleted)

You can get sli 6600GT's for $289 each = $588

11. jascii

jascii Member

No, you're confused, I think you mean neutronium.

The 6800GT is definitely a better buy. Over and above the lag issue already mentioned, it is faster in most games at resolutions that matter, and you can go with a cheaper motherboard or have room for expansion later.

The 6600GT's in SLI really only do well in 3dmarks, which are normally run by statwhores at low resolutions which dont tax the cards memory. Throw them at anything in high resolutions of 1600x1200+ with 4xAA, 16xAF and their lack of memory bandwidth makes itself readily apparent. Why are you buying at the high end if you are not running at these resolutions?

SLI also really only works well on very few games, some of the time even a single 6600GT can beat a pair in SLI.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  12. Torr

Torr Member

Each setup has their pro's and con's. But I think we're jumping the gun here when we're determining how the next gen cards are going to perform compaired to the current offerings (unless you've seen some benchmarks already, in that case I take that back). either way you go you take risks, but upgrading computer hardware isn't a matter of if but when. So more to the point. what do you want? Processing power now? or a potentially cheeper upgrade choice?

Each option comes with a price, getting a 6800 series now then adding another one 12-24months from now might give you the boost you need but would it be enough? the dual 6600 option everyone is talking about gives real bang for the buck (generally cheeper than most 6800 options, not all). however how long will it be able to handle the lastest software?
    the sli introduction gives us more than just one path to follow so the question of whether or not sli is worth investing in really is a matter of a personal hypothesis bassed on whatever research one has done.

13. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Here is an interesting link.... even though I'm not a fan of [H]. It basically explains how SLI is of no real benefit at this point in time since the drivers only support a few games, and that unless a game is supported in the driver to SLI, it'll just run as a regular single card anyway. So......... a 6800GT would still be a wiser pick :)

14. pepe

pepe Member

Probably worth mentioning that in 12-24 months time, it might be difficult to find exactly the same vid card as you have now (which SLI requires)

15. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

They say that it requires the exact same cards, but since they're all built on the reference design anyway I think that it'll be possible to use two different cards together (same as with the Voodoo2 cards. They apparently had to be identical, but people got all sorts of combinations working).

Personally, I'd take a 6800GT simply for the RAM. 256Mb of RAM is going to become more and more useful in modern games, as is the RAM bandwidth provided on the 6800GT. The 6600GTs are great for now, but I think that the 6800GT will last longer as a useful card.

16. EDeus

EDeus New Member

has anyone read the articles on how SLI doesnt work in all games?

and that you arent guaranteed 200% performance all the time. it ranges from 20-99% extra performance or something along those lines.

i am weary of going into a dual card solution until i know nvidia have SLI profiles for all games i play at the moment, well mainly just world of warcraft.

Also it is doubtful that you will get the profile for a new release game until a couple of days after release - but then again, the SLI concept needs time to settle and the community to calm down a bit and develop the idea further.

But the general concensus is right, buy 1x 6800 and later get another one and by then SLI would be mature. Also from what I have seen, SLI isnt 100% as yet.

Finally some more food for thought:

if you buy a 6800 now, you need to buy the exact 6800 later. It would have to be ie 6800GT to 6800GT of course, but also from what I am reading ,it has to be same manufacturer, same ram + timings, same card down to the hertz. something i worry about if i were to have to try and find XYZ card in 12 months time, being superceeded by XYZ rev1.1. Something to consider!

17. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Not entirely true bro. There are plenty of articles (can't search for them now cause I'm at work) that say you need the "same" card in that it is of the same reference design, as Slatye said. It doesn't HAVE to be identical to the existing card that you have. It's a similar thing to Dual DDR ram. You can mix and match ram to an extent, but the matched pairs work the best. Same would apply to SLI.

18. EDeus

EDeus New Member

ok, if its true then thats great.

the more i learn about SLI the more I tend to believe that as long as it is a similar reference, it will work happily together.

but i think i will still go a x800xl, the only reason i wouldnt at the moment is because i want to have 2 video cards. even if i only play a few hours a week, its a moot point and i love the look of it!

I know! i will install my old trident vga card and use some glutack it into look like its a dual video card. mmmmm RICE!

19. zeuce

zeuce Member

I would personally get the 6800, you will get the same card in a year easily.

SLI is too new, let them sort the bugs out and get the games built for it. At the moment nvidia have to write the drivers to get the games to work and there are different SLI outputs. It is too new, I would luv to have SLI but i will wait. For 10% improvement i dont think it is worth the money or hassle.

Oh and dont forget the price of the mobo at over $300 bucks the adds a bit to the setup even if the 6600 cards are dropping in price.

Just my opion :D

20. marceta

marceta Member

2x6600GT's = $600-700

1X6800U = $850+

IMO, (and from what ive heard) 2 6600's perform slightly better, for slightly less! i cant wait for the price drop in 6800 :leet: then that will be phat