2 day road trip from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by neRok, Jan 12, 2019.

1. neRok

neRok Member

I'm visiting Melbourne in March, and considering using some of the time going on a road trip further out into Victoria whilst there. I'm thinking drive east for about 6 hours (with a few sight-seeing stops along the way), stay overnight somewhere, and then return on a different route the next day (with a few stops too). Does anyone have anyone suggestions of places to visit? I'm thinking hills, valleys, forests, rugged coastline, etc. Beaches, scrub, and flat farming land need not apply.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

you might need a boat....
    I might be unusual, but I really like(d) Ballarat. Bendigo's also got a lot of history going on.

3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

6 hours east of Melbourne will get you to about Orbost (depending on your speed) In between along the Princess Hwy you have Warragul and the Latrobe Valley, not sure what is in Warragul these days but Latrobe Valley is where the power stations are. Further east is Rosedale, Sale and Bairnsdale which all have touristy things too see. Then comes Lakes Entrance which is a nice little fishing town. Past Lakes there isn't much touristy.

North and south of the Princess Hwy you have plenty of mountain areas. North is the high country and most of the towns are easily accessible by bitumen within an hour or so. South out of Melbourne you can take the Sth Gippsland Hwy and head to Phillip Island and Wilsons Prom, then come right back around to Sale.

It really depends just how much you want to stop and look at and how far you want to go. Latrobe Valley is a bit under 2 hours from Melbourne and from there you can get to the beach or the mountains in about an hour. There is also the Tarra Bulga area south of Latrobe Valley and on the way to the beach which is bush walks and national parks but not really the high country. If you drive about 4 hours to Lakes Entrance options open up for the beach right on your doorstep and a quick run into the hills to see things like the Buchan Caves, but after 4 hours on the road you might not want to head into the hills for another drive knowing you've got another four hours the days after to return.

4. wwwww

wwwww Member

Sydney is only 9 hours away.

5. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

What about West? Great Ocean Road, Cape Otway, come back via the Grampians?

Or east, Yarra Valley, Walhalla, down south east to Wilson's prom.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

For some reason, I thought Melbourne was closer to the east coast than a review of the map tells me it is.... You learn something new every day.

7. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

It depends on the bit of coast you aim at. Lakes Entrance is nearly due east it's a coastal fishing town on the 90 Mile Beach. From there HWY 1 skirts between about 1k and 20ks from the coast all the way to the border. The South Gippsland highway is the more coastal route from Melbourne to Sale which does have a port and lake that feeds into the ocean but is still about 40ks from the coast.

8. kbekus

kbekus Member

That's a fair bit of time in the car. I've done this trip over one or two days both on my motorbike and in my car.

From Melbourne head South East along the SE arterial past Chadstone, Dandenong, Pakenham, etc. Yarragon is a nice stop for a break and will take about 1.5 hours. Jump back on the freeway and head past Yallourn, Morwell, through Traralgon to Rosedale for another stop, again some nice cafes. Back in the car through Sale and on to Bairnsdale. Just out of Bairnsdale take the turn to Omeo for a lovely windy drive in nice countryside and along a river to Omeo. Check out Omeo as an old country town. Head west from Omeo up and over Mt Hotham, check out the views and continue to Bright. Stay here the night.

From Bright head west past Mt Buffalo and after 40 mins turn left toward the King valley before you hit Wangaratta. You'll be in wine country, feel free to stop at the Brown Brothers winery if you so desire. Continue south to Mansfield for a break, then on back to Melbourne either via Yea and Yarra Glen, Kinglake or Flowerdale. All nice drives.

If you want to add more kays you can start off leaving Melbourne via the Dandenongs through Kallista or Ollinda and through Monbulk to Emerald and out to Launching Place, through Yarra Junction and right to Noojee. Check out the old trestle bridges. From here either head south through Neerim to Warragul and onto the freeway, or take the back way through Hill End and Willow Grove into Moe and onto the highway. Again here you're close to Walhalla, a really cool old gold mining town. If you take this extended first day you might want to stop for the night in Omeo, see how you go cos that's a lot of tight twisty driving.

These routes will give you some of the nicer scenery in Vic IMO. Mountains, temperate rainforest, nice roads alongside rivers. Fun driving too in parts.

9. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

If you go to Walhalla take a walk up to the cricket oval (along the walking track not the car track that's cheating) it's amazing to think the local team walked up there every weekend. But if you do got to Walhalla don't expect too much food wise unless you like pub meals. Unfortunately the town is suffering from a lack of visitors and some of the local stores don't do anything at all to help that. It's expensive and more than a few of the shops seem to think serving out of towners is a below them, preferring to have coffee with their friends over serving people. It's a pity because the cemetery, the mines, the cricket oval and the train are marvellous attractions and tell of a history even the gold fields of Ballarat and Bendigo can't.

10. kbekus

kbekus Member

yeah it felt like that to me too. The mine is worth a visit too, I enjoyed going through it.

11. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Walhalla is a great little town with a lot to offer, just some of the shop keepers aren't as polite as they could be.

However Rawson Steak House not far from Walhalla is the best reason not to eat at Walhalla. That place has the best meals in the area and they have a "you kill it we grill it" policy. Given the windy prick of a road from Walhalla back to the main road there is a better than average chance you'll pick up your own dinner too.

12. OP
    OP
    neRok

neRok Member

Thanks for the detailed descriptions. I'll do some googling and see what's what. It's sounding like it could be decent a plan :leet: