2 gigs or 4 gigs of ram

Discussion in 'Memory' started by garry, Oct 8, 2006.

1. garry

garry Member

Hi im going to order the Asus P5WD64 and the E6700 conroe,with the ram i have decided to get the Corsair TWIN2X 8888C4DF Dominator http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=39_49&products_id=3258

Would it be better to get 2 gigs of fast ram like the Corsair 8888C4DF Dominator with 4-4-4-12 timings or for the same price get 4 gigs of slower ram with 5-5-5-15 timings Corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 DDR2 2048Mb http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=39_49&products_id=3069

Do you think i would get more gains out of having more ram or faster timings.

2. FumblesMcStupid

FumblesMcStupid (Banned or Deleted)

WinXP32 has problems with 4GB of memory. Anyways you would only get 4GBs if you needed it. 2GB is heaps.

3. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Thanks yeah i didn't know that about xp,although i am mainly getting this new pc im building ready for vista,thats mainly why i was wondering if 2 gigs would be enough.

I am going to get all the parts except the graphics card,wait until the DX10 cards come out in a few months then finish building the pc so i spose i wont really even be using this new pc for windows xp.

4. Whisper

Whisper Member

If I was buy a top of the line, brand spanking new computer, I would be tempted to go for 4GB's so I didn't have to upgrade the RAM or touch the computer for a significant amound of time.

2GB is going to be the norm soo enough and power users and games are going to use all of it and you will end up finding that things run better with 4GB instead of 2GB, just like things run better now with 2GB instead of 1GB.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

WinXP handles '4Gb' of memory fine. well, 3.6Gb and the rest to PCI Buffers.

if you manage to USE all 2Gb of ram, then yes, 4gb would be the way to go. I find myself using all 2Gb in very few occasions only (massive games which takes more then 1.3GB of ram + ftp server, most games use between 700-1000Mb which isnt a problem with a lot of background tasks still going)

6. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Thanks for your replys yeah i am leaning more for getting 4 gigs now since the pc will mainly be used for vista when it comes out.

If i went for the 4 gigs of the Corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 with slower timings of 5-5-5-15 do you think those slower timings would make the pc feel slowish compared to if i got the faster 4-4-4-12 timings of the Corsair TWIN2X 8888C4DF Dominator,im just not sure how much timings effect the pc the way it runs,is 5-5-5-15 still a good timing,would it overclock very well.
    I am not even sure what sought of speed gains i would get from buying expensive ram like the Corsair TWIN2X 8888C4DF Dominator,but i figured if i get descent ram i shouldn't have any trouble overclocking.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  7. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

thats more a motherboard problem i think.
    my server sees the entire 4GB with no problem.
    granted im running Server2003 EE but as you say, its PCI buffers etc that do it, the mobo in my server has an option to shift those up to a higher point and allows you to see all the RAM.

8. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

Do you need ram that's that expensive? That monster makes the gskill HZ 800mhz set look cheap at $460+. It will overclock to 1ghz+ anyway so save yourself around $1000?

9. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Thanks i was looking at the gskill HZ 800mhz but i just wasn't sure if i should get 800gz or 1066gz,when i build this pc.

I wanted to do it right this time because the current p4 3.2 pc with 1 gig of expensive geil ram and this $100 gigabyte cpu cooler i build nearly 4 years would never overclock very good,like the best i could overclock the p4 was 5% which makes the cpu from 3200 up to about 3350 or something like that,its running stock now though because even at 5% it froze every now and then,so i want to build a really over clockable pc this time withough having to worry about windows not even booting if i try to overclock it at 10% like my current machine.

The only parts i have so far is the cooler master 830 stacker case,enermax galaxy 1000 psu and the big typhoon cpu cooler and I'll get the E6700 cpu next week to, i was just waiting around to see if the cpu prices came down or not.,and i just decided to get the Asus P5WD64 WS over the Asus P5W-DH so its really only down picking good quality overclocking ram now.

10. Subcommandante

Subcommandante Member

I only have one gig, but I would certainly be tempted to go for four...especially if the RAM has activity lights = sexy.

11. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

All I can say is it's great stuff, remember 533mhz ram is all you need for stock speed so 800mhz is 50% FSB overclock space.

I have my E6300 overclocked by 70% limited only by the motherboard. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

12. wesley5781

wesley5781 Member

If you get ram that fast it's quite possible you'll be fsb limited by motherboard, so if you do you'll need to pair up with the best motherboard out there i assume that's not a problem if your willing to fork the best ram out there, vista itself is more resource demanding which is coming out in a few months, so like somebody above mentioned 2 gigs is gonna be norm for enthusiasts, i'd definitely see the benefits of going to 4gig ram in the coming year, it would not be a waste if you decide to go that route, if you can get 4g ram that can do ddr-1000 i think that would be more than enough to get the most of your motherboard. At the moment there aren't many boards that will guarantee fsb that will sync with your ram unfortunately.

13. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

So you overclocked your E6300 by 70% with the gskill HZ 800mhz,yeah that sounds like it does the job really well, i am probley better of just getting 4 gigs of the gskill HZ 800mhz rather than the 4 gigs of the cheaper corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 1066mhz ram since the gskill has faster timings.

14. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Yeah i think i have made a good choice with the motherboard Asus P5WD64 WS,i seen chainbolts thread on this motherboard and he said it was the best conroe motherboards he has used so that was good enough for me anyway,so i decided to grab that.

Yeah if i got 4 gigs of ram i wouldn;t be able afford 4 gigs of the Corsair 8888C4DF Dominator with 4-4-4-12 timings and i would have to go for the cheaper Corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 but i was worried the 5-5-5-15 timings would slow things down,are 5-5-5-15 timings still ok,would you buy ram with those timings or would you try to get ram with faster timings.

15. schplade

schplade Member

with all ram/memory related size issues refer to this level of importance

size>speed>timings

this guide is only for general purpose as there are some specific programs that require tighter timings etc for better performance.

also the size of ram is only important until you stop using it all and it just becomes redundant, with windows xp while gaming i haven't seen my usage go anywhere near 2gb.

16. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

wtf do you plan on using 4gigs of ram for ?

its starting to get ridicoulous

even while playing bf2 with all textures + settings on max and multi-tasking, the ram usage doesnt hit above 2 gigs

17. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Ok yeah thanks so timings isnt really a big deal then,so osunds like its better to go for more ram and get the highest mhz also,i dont think i will worry about the expensive dominator ram then instead i will get 4 gigs of the lower timing corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 1066mhz ram.

Also i had one other question,if i used 2 gigs of ram i would be able to set the bios into the dual channel mode,if i used 4 gigs (all 4 slots) in my motherboard does that mean i wont be able to run the ram in dual channel mode,is there much of a performance drop by not having the ram run in dual channel mode do you think.

I am building this new pc for games as well but i am mainly building it for mame,i was reading on the mame site that the new 6800 conroes can run the big CHD mame games like San Francisco Rush at full playable speed 60 frames per second,so i thought if i got the E6700 i could overclock it to the same or more than the 6800 conroe to get the same speed.

18. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Yeah my current pc has 1 gig of ram and most of the time it gets used full,like at the moment in windows xp i have 24 firefoxes running 22 ie explorers running,couple other programs and in task manager it says im using 1.4 gigs of ram,since ive only got 1 gig of ram it must be getting the other 0.4 from the harddrive,theres a lot of harddrive noise going on in the background to and things are starting to slow down.

I figured if im using 1.4 gigs in windows xp i would probley use well over 2 gigs in vista if vista is the memory hog its supposed to be.

19. proffesso

proffesso Member

so you have 46 web pages open...I'd say you have bigger problems to worry about than RAM :)

4gb is becomming the norm in workstations now, with 8gb starting to become more popular too, but yeah...those things wont touch games.

20. OP
    OP
    garry

garry Member

Yeah ok thanks,4 gigs sounds like the right size to go for and 8 gig would be overkill for me anyway.

So is that true that if i use all 4 ram slots on my motherboard i cant have the ram in dual channel mode,if so would it make much difference.