2 Home wireless modems to single router

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Nateid03, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

hey ocau,

had a bit of a brain wave and wanted to see if anyone has done something along these lines before.

Long story short - we're on the optus mobile broadband network for internet at home: reasonable service but can be slow/patchy.
    was doing some reading with multiple internet connections to a single router - has anyone done this and is it worth doing: specifically with the mobile network

I can setup the datashare between the 2 sims in the routers easily enough - it's more whether it's worth pursuing.

Cheers

Nath

2. Copie

Copie Member

There is a write up about adding antennas to improve speed floating around

3. OP
    OP
    Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

Already did that - signal is good just want more speed. Gotta go fast

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

When and what type of nbn will you be getting??

5. OP
    OP
    Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

Not getting NBN any time soon - need to stay on the Mobile broadband network for another 2 years

6. hairy

hairy Member

im keen to see if anyone has any suggestions also.

7. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

8. hairy

hairy Member

9. Draxx

Draxx Member

10. Mace

Mace Member

I tried Draytek (Vigor maybe?) a while back to load balance ADSL 1 and 3G. It worked OK but my 3G signal wasn't great so I abandoned it. From memory it wasn't too hard to configure.

11. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Realistically, all you're going to acheive is concurrency or load balancing, rather than improved speed flat out.

By which I mean, if you have 2x 4G signals sycning at let's say 50M/sec each - it gives you aggregate speed of 100M/sec
    But you won't get 100M/sec on one single computer with a single download stream.

12. Mace

Mace Member

Exactly right. The only way to get the full speed on one stream is to go through an aggregating company, two accounts, they split your connection across the two accounts and its reassembled at your end. Crazy expensive.
    2 x 50M is pretty good though. :)

timace likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

perhaps with a standard ADSL/NBN connection however since this is using the 4g network the splitting could be achieved through the use of 2 sim cards in 2 modems, then using the same data from a data pool rather than having 2 accounts: effectively having "2" connections - that's the way I understand it anyway: happy to be proved wrong here.
    had a read through the thread - killer setup however being in a rental it's going to be hard erecting an antenna without the landlord getting the stinks up.
    main aim is to get some reliability without having to reset the router most evenings due to lack/slow signal. might need to do some more reading on this one

14. Mace

Mace Member

Ooh. I hadn't considered that. One pool of data though, might not be one connection, ie. packets from one source being routed across two paths.
    No harm in trying though to confirm either way. ;)

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

This isn't going to work the way you think it'll work. I swear this question gets asked every few months.

To load balance you need control over both the source and the destination and that doesn't happen on the internet. Best case you can send traffic for one application through one SIM and other traffic through the second, however even that gets tricky since most content on the internet uses CDNs these days and hardware that can correctly identify application traffic isn't cheap.

16. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Just to clarify, you're using the old speed-limited Optus Home Wireless Broadband product?

Have you thought about switching to the new uncapped Optus Wireless Broadband product, getting a high CAT modem like an AC800S and tethering that to a router?

17. OP
    OP
    Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

I did switch late last year to the uncapped version - that was a huge help but still requires resetting the modem regularly to keep speeds up

18. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Sounds like higher frequency signals may be marginal where the modem is placed.

Which modem are you rocking and are you using any external antennas?

And where's your nearest Optus tower, and what bands does it have?