2 pair phone to RJ45 jack?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by apsilon, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apsilon

apsilon Member

Hoping someone can help with this as I'm having trouble finding matching colours via google.

A phone point in the office has been kocked while some furniture was being moved and it's knocked the jack off the wall and pulled the wires out of the punchdown block. I want to punch them back in but don't know the order and as mentioned, can't find anything via google with the same four colours to be certain of getting it right.

I have a White, Blue, Red and Black wire. Which goes to which pin on the RJ45 jack?

2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

3. OP
    OP
    apsilon

apsilon Member

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've been finding but thye have green and yellow where I have blue and white. Does green = white or does green = blue on my cable (and that's assuming red and black are the same)?

4. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

What makes you think the cabler who did it did it properly in the first place?

5. OP
    OP
    apsilon

apsilon Member

Probably didn't but I still can't just randomly conenct any wire to any pin and expect it to work. Just hoping someone recognises the colours.

If it helps the cable would be old, rather old, so the colour codes are probably old. Would've been reterminated to RJ45 jacks a few years back.

6. gords

gords Oh deer!

Given s3kemo's comment, you could always unscrew a couple of other wallplates in the same office and see how those ones have been terminated.

7. OP
    OP
    apsilon

apsilon Member

I would if I could find another. They've all been moved over to new structured wiring. This is the only one I know of that hasn't been and it was a surprise to find it.

8. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

So if you're agreeing it is probably not correct then how would any link on the internet help?

Assuming this is for a standard analog phone, why do you want to use an 8P8C connector?

Also, can you get to the other end of the cable? Then you might be able to work backwards.

Oh, inb4 "get a licensed cabler" rants.

9. OP
    OP
    apsilon

apsilon Member

Yeah it may not be correct but it could also be correct but an old standard so hoping someone recognises it.

Cable runs into the wall so no idea where it goes. Probably back to the MDF but I have no way of identifying it there anyway.

I'll get our contractor in if I have to but would rather not pay the call out and hourly charge just to punch down 4 wires.

EDIT: Think I'm getting somewhere:

Australian 610 socket to 6P6C
    Line (+) Line (-)
    Color Pin # Color Pin #
    Pair 1 White 2 Blue 6
    Pair 2 Red 1 Black 5

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. Pugs

Pugs Member

I have one line to say around here.. I know its silly but it's my line....:tongue::tongue:

11. knp1288

knp1288 Member

White and blue to 4 & 5 on a IDC RJ45

That's assuming red & black aren't being used.

12. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

thats assuming that a cable standard was followed. like it or not. non standard cabling has been done. its not ideal but it happens.

13. OP
    OP
    apsilon

apsilon Member

I know these phones use all 4 wires. Found that out early on when I tried a single pair flylead with one.

14. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

My line also.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=667377

This is not a DIY moment for you armchair techs. The OP has no clue (his own statements have made it clear) and neither do most of you.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.