2 TECS or 1?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by ropable, Jul 17, 2001.

1. ropable

ropable Member

I now have my Dangerden Maze 2.2, and I'm wondering whether to go with two 80W TECs under the cold plate, or a single 120W one. I'm running a Duron at 1000MHz, but would like to be able to upgrade to a T-Bird soon, and use the same setup.

2 TECs or 1? Opinions?

2. Czechmate

Czechmate Intel Insight

2x80W better if you can power them

The twin 80W pelts are better, however you'll need a mighty big power supply to keep them both powered. The 120W is probably fine for your Duron, but for a Tbird, esp. at 1.5GHz+, 120W is totally inadequate.

You'll also need a fairly hefty radiator to dispose of the heat that twin 80W pelts + oc'd Duron (or Tbird) pump out.

3. OP
    OP
    ropable

ropable Member

I've nearly finished a bong cooler for it, I'll look at getting a radiator after some testing.

Whats the smallest PSU you think I might need? I was going to use a 2nd 300W supply for the TECs alone.

4. Czechmate

Czechmate Intel Insight

you can use a secondary PSU (like your 300W) but keep in mind that this will only feed the pelts 12V. To pump their maximum heat load (ie. 80W) a peltier needs 15-17V at which it draws roughly 8 Amps. At 12V the twin peltiers won't pump much more than the single 120W pelt.

A safer bet is to get a dedicated 15V high-output power supply like the ones Jaycar or Dick Smith sell.

5. Memphis

Memphis Member

I bought a dedicated 25A 0-15V power supply to run the peltier at its rated voltage. From testing the peltier at different voltages, the extra few volts are really not worth it! It makes maybe 2C difference in temperature (12V compared to 15V).

At the rated voltage, a lot of extra heat is produced for very little result. I would only consider a dedicated benchtop power supply if you are looking at running TECS for a handful of computers. Otherwise get another 12V power supply.

6. OP
    OP
    ropable

ropable Member

Good info...thanks guys

7. Amy

Amy Member

Hi Memphis:

Good to be back...I like your Avitar...

1st: What variable supply did you get?

2nd: How did your Oakley Peltier experiment fair?

My E-Mail PC smoked last sunday - but feel free to reply... I should have a new MB for the PC I do accounting and E-Mail by saturday 21st.

Cheers Amy :) - :)

8. cerberos

cerberos Member

yeah have a look at melcors web site (forget url, google it) and try and find the graph of heat transfered V's voltage, it a nice symetric bell shape with its peak at 15V, but the gets pretty flat around 12-18V (with 18v moving just as much as 12v), but naturaly the amount of heat the tec produces it self is linear with voltage. So the advantages of running them above 12v is negligble and i personaly would only run one at 12v because i feel that running one at 12v will make it last alot longer