$200ish headphones, Open or closed?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by SpeedRacer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Member

Well I know there's quite a few threads about headphones, and Snufkin has some good answers! :D I've been searching though and still not sure what I want just yet.

And from all Snufkin's pimping of the Audio Technica models, the AD700's have caught my eye. They're about the price range that I'm looking for and I'm hoping to get a Creative X-Fi sound card to run them off soon too.

What I'm wondering is the difference between the A700 and the AD700, obviously closed and open models but is there much difference between the two?? Which one would sound better for something used for pc gaming?

And with that, are any other models around the $200 mark that would be good for gaming that I should take a look at?

Thanks

2. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

i have the ad900's, i think they are great for gaming. however imo bass is not incredibly big, which suits me as im not a bass junkie, but might not suit other gamers who love big explosions. i havent heard anything else but i'd think the a700's bass would be larger than the ad700's, but the soundstage might not be as wide.

3. brycer

brycer Member

I own a pair of the AD700's. They have an excellent soundstage which is handy for FPS games - no more being snuk up on. Great for listening to music. They dont have huge bass but the sound clarity is fantastic. They are also extremely comfortable to wear.

The A700s will be stronger on the bass but not as good on soundstage. Really cant go wrong with either.

4. pugsley

pugsley Member

From what i have read, the AD700 have gotten better reviews and being an open set, you would expect them to sound nicer(and the reviews point to this). but another thing to think about is are you going to be using them where people will get annoyed with you using an open set? The AD700's leak like a sieve and could get very noticable in a quiet area.

5. hugz

hugz Member

For the price, open will typically sound better than closed.

However open phones only sound really good if you're in a relateively quiet environment. They'll still sound nice, but in a noisy environment an closed phone may be better than an open one.

Is your PC very noisy? This could get very annoying to you.

Open phones also let out a lot of noise, so everyone around you will be able to hear to some extent whatever you're hearing. Will this be a problem?

I've never heard the 2 models that you listed, but this is the basics of open and closed

6. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

IMO the AD700 sounds a lot better than the A700, in fact other than the model number they don't share a lot in common.
    If you need the isolation I'd recommend saving up for the A900 which sounds significantly better than the A700.

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea, my AD700's are incredible. i love them to death. props to Snufkin for recommending/selling me them :D

8. OP
    OP
    SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Member

I'm thinking the AD700's might be the go then. I'm not really a bass junkie, I've got a decent HT setup that can give me a fix for that if I want. But I think good positioning for FPS games is definitely a higher priority for me.

I dont think isolation is really a priority for me either. Where I'll mainly be using them isnt very noisy.

Thanks

9. MatterHorn

MatterHorn Member

Another vote for the AD700's... got the + an XFI and they sounds great, you won't be dissapointed.

10. GrantG

GrantG Member

Im in the same boat
    AD700's or A900's?

are the 900's worth the extra $80?

open/closed- doesnt matter which

thanks

11. Tekin

Tekin Member

AD900s!

I like mine. I really really really like mine. (and yes snufkin, listening for 12 hours on a minesite with these is quite comfortable...though i'm struggling to get work done because of them sometimes)

12. GrantG

GrantG Member

AD900's are starting to streach the budget, nearly double the price of AD700's :(

if your using them 12hours a day they are propably worth the extra $170 tho :)

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

That's great to know!

To me the better the headphones the MORE they distract you ;)
    "oh.. this track rocks! *air guitar*"

14. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

I find the headphones dont matter nearly as much as the music... they just help that little bit more :Pirate:

15. OP
    OP
    SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Member

Well, I ordered the AD700's today... hope they're as comfortable as everyone says. I've been using a pair of sony neckphones or whatever they are - awful things but I never woulda paid anything for them (my mum won them in some crappy australia idol competition). Can only wear them for 10mins until it feels like I've had my head in a vice!

Now I just need to get myself an xfi soundcard!