2010 MTB Nationals - DH Race Day

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by CptVipeR, Dec 13, 2010.

1. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

Just a few of my favourite shots from the MTB National Series at Glenorchy MTB Park in Hobart, TAS

Shooting with the 300D, 70-200 f/2.8 L and 550EX for fill.
    I'm really needing something with faster AI Servo focus though, the hacked 300D is a bit lacking, missed crucial focus on about 30% :(

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

World Cup Rider Nathan Rennie was racing as well.

Click to view full size!

Junior World Champ Troy Brosnan was eventual winner in the U19 DH.

More in my gallery if anyone wants to browse
    http://tsumpton.photoshelter.com

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. disci

disci Member

Nice pics CptVipeR - I think number 1 is my fave.

Nice to see some sport here on OCAU.

I could be way off here (putting flame-proof suit on now... :) ), but maybe one of the few ways to get a keeper rate above 70% with this style of shot* might be a 1DMkIV or a Nikon D3/D3s???

(*relatively small focus area on a quickly moving athlete/bike)

Photoshelter Questions (please):
    Is it a bit of a headache linking shots to the forum directly from Photoshelter? (I know they're into mage protection.)

Do you self-fulfill all your prints, or have you actually had someone in Australia order prints which were delivered from USA?

Thanks CptVipeR.

Regards

Des

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. thomasdang

thomasdang Member

Nice shots. Good idea on the flash for fill. If you ever get the chance to do it again, a few off camera flashes certainly works a treat.

300D should be fine, as you can easily manually set your focus point during the time you're covering one area of the track.

Also try panning the shots to give it a bit of movement.

Mountain bikes are one of my favourite sports to photograph, as you don't need any media accreditation to get into decent spots for good shots.

Here are a couple of shots I took when I was at last years MTB UCI World Championships in Canberra - Mt Stromlo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

Absolutely a sports orientated body would help immensely. My lens will do it, just the 300D focus system can't supply it with that speed it needs :)

I'm on the lookout for a second hand 1D Mk2 or Mk3 for sure!

With Photoshelter I'm doing self fullfilled.
    Haven't tired hot linking any pics either, I usually output a small version with watermark and host on ISP hosting or OCAU pix.

Thanks for the comments :thumbup:

Yeah, there is a couple of guys with remotes and it really adds drama to the pic helps freeze the shot too.
    As for the 300D being able to do it, the hack lets you do creative mode (Av, Tv, M) with RAW and enable the AI Servo. To release the shutter you hold the main shutter button for focus tracking then have to press the left 4way button on the back. If a rider is coming towards you at speed the delay of the camera processing that action is enough sometimes to lose focus.

Nice shots btw, I'd love to ride Stromlo.
    Cheers.

5. thomasdang

thomasdang Member

If you get a chance again before upgrading from the 300D, then try setting a manual focus point - use the auto focus to focus on a part of the track (with the rider in frame). They all take the same line, so you can lock the focus in at that point, but you'll need to make sure you're firing at that same point.

You will get a few shots out of focus if you don't fire at that exact point, but with enough shots, you'll get some really nice ones.