2010 OCAU Bake-Off

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Jul 10, 2010.

1. glasnt

glasnt Member

At least I'm not a guy who likes to bake.

I'm going to make the most awesome cake just to make you say 'oh wow that'sa nice cake glasnt'.

My carrot cake was awesome. :(

2. Gua5d1aN

Gua5d1aN Member

I'm going to enter this, gonna go all out on it and stretch the term "cake" as far as I can :)

Should be quite unique, already got the ideas floating arround in ma head

3. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

I've settled on my cake design ^.^ Now I just have to hunt down some of the more obscure ingredients.

4. glasnt

glasnt Member

Test cake was a complete success. The real version will be completed in the timeframe though.

5. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Damn, I really suck at baking. I still have no idea what I am going to make. Hopefully it won't attract too many belly laughs from some of you guys :Paranoid:

6. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Hehe, well, Just worked out my shopping list, I need 21 ingredients, which will form the 8 components of my cake ^.^, and I only have to visit 4 different shops to buy them all, Aldi, Coles, The Essential Ingredient, and The Spring Bok

Aldi has a special tool I need on special this week, so I thought I'd go nab one!

7. disguisey

disguisey Member

Dang I need an idea, specially how my stpe mum just bought a new over, gotta love the bhb incentives

8. Gua5d1aN

Gua5d1aN Member

so Ive got my idea all worked out, some rather unique elements going on in it, and odd ones as well, if all goes well its gonna look mad! I go out this Wednesday to pick up all the required stuff for it, start cooking it sat morning finish up Sunday night :)

9. broox

broox Member

Here's a couple of pics of the cake we made for my daughters 1st b'day (1st July, so it counts!doh, i read it as startung 24 june not july. boo!).
    T'was a communal effort by me, the missus and the no 1 son.

Di & Haims baked it, I cut & shaped it, Di creamed most of it, I did the finer finishing cream work and borders :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's based on Miffy, the cartoon bunny. My little girl loves the theme song and gets up and bounces around every time :D

Sadly all the makings of pics were deleted.

But it was yummo!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

OK everyone, don't forget that this starts tomorrow!

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

Thanks for the reminder. Im in Melbs for the weekend, so ill have to be on the ball for Monday onwards...

12. Baringa

Baringa Member

I got all my supplies today for my entry. I am unsure whether or not I will make it today. I will need to invite everyone around to help eat it because this is going to be a big bastard. :shock:

13. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

good thing I didn't enter, I baked a cake last night and realised when it was almost cooked that I forgot to put the butter in... lesson learnt, I won't bake when sleep deprived :(

14. glasnt

glasnt Member

Not sure if I'll end up entering. Twas going to go a three layer baking marathon, but it didn't eventuate. I will make my cake eventually, but it might be outside the bakeoff timeframe. I will post it how it was going to be posted, in any case. Eventually.

15. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Cake is done, Photography is done, Cake is eaten :p I'll post it when I have time, the recipe will take a while.

16. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

:shock: Where is my piece? How rude! :thumbdn:

17. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Shoulda come to Sydney!, this was a big cake!, Got 17 slices out of it! (Big slices!)

18. Baringa

Baringa Member

So I have a related question. My cake for this bake-off is going to be twice as tall as a "standard" cake and I have no idea how I am going to store it without it going dry. It obviously won't fit in a standard cake container. :confused:

19. glasnt

glasnt Member

You're just going to have to eat it all ^_^

Um.. can you fit it in the container you baked it in, and gladwrap it? or is it 2 layers...

20. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Gladwrap is the go. If you've got decoration you need to be careful of use toothpicks stuck in the cake to keep the gladwrap off the decoration.