2011 iMac - Fan Control with Sata Power Splitter?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by jman231994, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jman231994

jman231994 Member

This has probably been asked a zillion times but I couldn't find anything with a search so here goes.

Have an ssd waiting to go into my 2011 27" imac, I want to add it in as a 2nd drive so need to get sata power from somewhere. Sata slim cables seem to be a nightmare to get so I'm looking at a sata splitter off the main hard drive.
    I've read this will likely ground the temp sensor pin and keep the fans at a normal pace but will also stop them ramping up when necessary, is that correct?
    I was thinking about modifying the splitter so the temp pin is still connected to the main drive but not to the ssd, but I have no idea if that will work or not.

If anyone on here has seen or done something similar a bit of help would be massively appreciated! As far as I can tell none of the guides online really cover this method well or anything about keeping that pin connected :(

Thanks in advance!

2. melatonin

melatonin Member

I've only done a SSD replacement on an iMacs and had the fan issue going at 100%, I think I used a program called "fanny", had a profile you could set for certain temps.

3. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Can put it in the optical drive bay.

5. OP
    OP
    jman231994

jman231994 Member

Sorry guys, completely missed the replies. In the end I just went with a generic sata power splitter.
    Kept the superdrive and the normal hard drive as storage, with a 500gb ssd tucked in behind the superdrive.
    No fan issues, I'm guessing the splitter grounded the sensor pin.