2014 Australian Snow Season

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by nordica-k2, Feb 5, 2014.

1. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

2. OP
    OP
    nordica-k2

nordica-k2 (Banned or Deleted)

Easy, Smith IO (I have a pair, they're pretty decent)

Might be worth checking out Anon M1's or 2's though :):thumbup:

3. Shadow_n

Shadow_n Member

Aww yep, I can see that on the lens! :p

I think I get get the I/O's cheap 2nd hand so that's why I'm looking at them :)

4. touki

touki Member

I had a similar experience in 2012, I spent 2 days in perisher and 1 at thredbo then went directly to QT for 2 weeks skiing the various surrounding resorts and found the Australian snow to be much better. NZ was quite icy.

Just got back from Japan, don't know if I will ever ski Aus again...

Click to view full size!

5. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

This year will be my 4th trip in a row to Queenstown.

I missed out on northern Hemisphere this year I had planned 10 days in Whistler after a US trip but a knee injury 1 week before my flights put the kibosh on that.

6. OP
    OP
    nordica-k2

Haha yeah dude, anyone who goes north for a season will find it hard to go back, I know Aus/NZ will always be a reserved option if I can't afford to go to Asia/Eur/Can/U.S for a season.

7. Comma

Comma Member

Does anyone know a company that does non-weekend shuttles to/from Perisher? Monday or late Sunday night? It seems everyone runs only on weekends...

Also, how does Perisher work? Can you stay on that resort, or does everyone stay at Jindabyne? (Seems that way ala NZ).

8. playswithfire

playswithfire Member

Last year they had an absolute shocker of a season. They only have 6 lifts if I remember correctly and only managed to open all of them on a couple of days through the whole season - and I don't think they have much in the way of snow-making.

Mt Buller is a much better option IMO ;)

Speaking of which - going to be up there a couple of times this year, at least. Managed to snag two days worth of $60 passes from the Olympic deals which will be great :)

9. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

The thing about Baw Baw is that sometimes they have a pretty good overnight dump. This happens like once or twice a year. Sometimes it happens out of season (Late October last year was one). I went up during this epic spring 40cm dump and I had a good time doing what I wanted on the mountain. Was the only one up there! Good times.

Baw Baw has a nice friendly vibe to it. If you go up on a good day you can get some alright running in. They have two OK runs, but it's nothing special.

I'm working at Hotham this year (worked a little bit at baw baw) if anyones coming up let me know! Would be nice to catch up with people. :thumbup:

10. playswithfire

playswithfire Member

2.5 weeks till the season opens and no real snow to be seen anywhere. Rather disappointing...

I've got a weekend booked at Buller in just over a month. It'll be my wife's and youngest daughters first time at the snow - hoping that we actually have some by then. :/

11. OP
    OP
    nordica-k2

Fingers crossed, only thing more depressing than the possibility of little snow is not being there at all this season :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn: :upset::upset::upset:

12. playswithfire

playswithfire Member

Here's to snowmachines :)

13. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

Need some colder weather for those to work, its tropical down here at the moment!

14. playswithfire

playswithfire Member

yeah i know. these continual days of 20+ degrees in melb have been lovely... but they don't bode well for a good start to the season!

15. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

It's been about 3-5 deg here at Hotham for the past week. We're expecting it to get colder this weekend and start hitting into the sub zeros. It's currently pretty foggy outside. I still think as of next week it will start dumping a bit more.

We will have the snow guns starting (or at least on standby) as of Monday.

Just sucks at the moment up here because nothings open for food. Have to go to bright or omeo to buy any food! The genny is open as of tomorrow so no more going to dinner plains for a drink lol.

16. randomman

randomman Member

They're mine, Smith I/OX, amazing goggles.

Decent? Mine were amazing! Crystal clear vision with UV protection (had to, just had laser eye surgery) until I stacked it and my nose ran down them (yep, I was inverted).

17. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

http://www.perisher.com.au/tickets-passes/lift-tickets/freedom-flexi.html

Freedom Flexi for those that didn't get the Freedom Pass.
    ----

The next best thing to a Freedom Pass!

Our NEW Freedom Flexi will let you ski or board when you want on ANY 3 days during the season.

After you use your 3 days (because you're having so much fun!), you can add extra days at any time for the same special price, only $99 per day!

You can even add Skitube, the easiest way to get here, and save up to 40%, so there's no excuse for not getting enough time on snow this season! Buy your Freedom Flexi before 19 June, to beat the price rise!

Get your Freedom Flexi now, only $299 for any 3 days this winter, and all additional days at just $99 per day.

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Welcome to Australia....

Opening weekend is just an excuse to get drunk, any snow is a bonus.

That said, if its cold enough, most resorts will try and get a few runs open on snowmaking just to get the free marketing that comes with it.

19. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Still no snow. It's not that cold here either unfortunately.

Genny at Hotham will be rocking next weekend though :leet:

20. playswithfire

playswithfire Member