2014 releases: Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Broadwell, etc.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stmok, Oct 22, 2013.

1. stmok

stmok Member

Intel to only release K-model Broadwell processors end 2014
    => http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_to_only_release_k_model_broadwell_processors_end_2014.html

* 1st Quarter of 2014 = Nothing happens.
    * 2nd Quarter of 2014 = Haswell Refresh (22nm, LGA1150) with 9-series chipset comes.
    * 3rd Quarter of 2014 = Haswell-E (22nm, LGA2011-3) with X99 chipset comes.
    * Right at the end of 2014 = Broadwell (14nm, LGA1150), the multiplier unlocked "K-models" come. Re-use 9-series chipset.

2. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

If true it will be very interesting and for the first time a clear line drawn between the "civilian" and "hardcore" sockets. Haswell-E seems to be on track for DDR4 move while the Broadwell will stick with DDR3 even though technically they are still in the same generation of CPUs abit a tick/tock cycle difference.

3. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

They already did that with 1155/2011.

4. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

I wouldn't call the difference between 1155 and 2011 THAT different. Using DDR 3 Vs DDR 4, that's different.

5. paulbagz

paulbagz Member

6+ core CPUs, massive cache, quad channel RAM (and massive price lololol) isn't that different? :confused:

-PB

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

shitty peripheral support too?

7. sardaukar101

sardaukar101 Member

I heard that even thou the future chips support the 1150 socket that the current 1150 motherboards won't be supported???

I believe is due to the voltage regulator moving off chip again...

8. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

Yeap. This is what I suspect is happening...

* They will re-use the socket format.
    => No physical changes. So existing heatsink compatibility is not a problem.
    => Electrically, there will be changes that will cause incompatibility. (Changes in what some of the pins will do.)

* The 9-series chipset will only be for Haswell-Refresh and Broadwell.

This is because Haswell-Refresh and Broadwell will have their voltage regulation moved back onto the motherboard.

So it would appear, based on what we know thus far, existing Haswell users won't have an upgrade path. ie: Dead-end platform like LGA1156...Sorry folks, new mobo + CPU required. :(

I'm not the only one who suspects this...See this article.
    => http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-2014-desktop-processor-roadmap-leaked-broadwell-k-socketed_126888

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Compared to 1156 it wasn't really that different. I mean, they both support mouses right? XD

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

peripherals are everything that hang off the bus.

Sata3 ports, USB3 ports, etc...

11. auApex

auApex Member

Sorry, how does S2011 have shitty peripheral support? I've never had a problem running SATA3 and USB3 peripherals on S2011. Or do you mean 1156 had shitty peripheral support?

12. Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

Intel is delaying Broadwell I think. Broadwell will be a tick in Intel's architectural model process.

I will delay buying further processors until Intel's next tock evolution which will be the Skylake (14nm process).

13. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

Yeap. I would also do that, if I were holding out for an CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade.

All the current stuff (LGA1150 and LGA2011) isn't electrically compatible with LGA1150 (2014) and LGA2011-3.

We know for sure that LGA2011 users will need new mobo, RAM, and processor; if they choose to upgrade to LGA2011-3.

LGA2011 => LGA2011-3
    X79 chipset => X99 chipset
    DDR3-1866 => DDR4-2133
    4- and 6-core => 6- and 8-core
    130W TDP => 130W to 140W TDP
    14x USB 2.0 => 8x USB 2.0 and up to 6x USB 3.0 (native support)
    4x SATA 3Gbps + 2x SATA 6Gbps => Up to 10x SATA 6Gbps (native support)

Processor-wise, the Enthusiast platform is behind the Mainstream platform.
    Memory-wise, it'll pioneer the adoption of DDR4.

The way Intel sees it, the Enthusiast platform targets three major audiences.
    => Extreme gamers. = 4 video card system.
    => Extreme overclockers. = Lots of tweaking options.
    => Pro-sumers. = Video, audio, animation, etc. Where lots of cores and memory bandwidth is loved.

You'll note something interesting if you compare the original roadmap against the recent one.

Original...(June Roadmap)
    => http://vr-zone.com/articles/long-li...-a-midterm-refresh-is-on-the-cards/33920.html
    Recent...(October Roadmap)
    => http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-2014-desktop-processor-roadmap-leaked-broadwell-k-socketed_126888

(1) Haswell-E with X99 appears to be going as scheduled. (No changes.)
    (2) Haswell Refresh with 9-series appears to be going as scheduled. (Again, no changes.)
    (3) Broadwell (K-versions) have been pushed up earlier. (There was no Broadwell in June Roadmap!)

Changed their mind due to customer request? :confused:

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich recently said (at their financial quarterly earnings discussion), that they're running into yield issues with the 14nm process.

Production for Broadwell was supposed to begin at the end of this year (Q4 2013). This has been pushed back to Q1 2014. Does that really affect things in the long run? Skylake isn't affected, only the overall release of Broadwell is.

ie: Instead of K and non-K versions being released at the same time. They're just going to push out the K versions as they are already binned from good yields. The non-K ones are where Intel makes money. Overclockers are a small segment of the overall mainstream consumer market...But they tend to be the most vocal. ;)

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

urm, P55 vs X79
    16 vs 40 PCIE Lanes on the CPU
    6 SATA2 vs 2 SATA3 + 4SATA2
    Both have 14 USB2 ports.
    PCIE1.0 vs PCIE2.0

I'm just gonna stop here and say 2011 is way better than 1156.

Obviously you mean Z68, then which it also has the same PCIE2.0 and SATA ports.

Z77 is a generation newer than X79.

Of course Z77 has integrated USB3, but you can still only really use ONE PORT if you want full throughput. The major problem is most Z77 boards have USB3 hubs on them, which makes it a pain working out which ports to use to get full performance (one, possibly two ports on the back, and one on the front panel _IF_ not shared with the back panel). As for 6 SATA3 ports, you already saturate the IOH bus with TWO devices, so there's no extra performance.

On the other hand, X79 has way more spare PCIE2.0 lanes for extra USB controllers, such as the PCIE4x Highpoint 4 port card which has 5Gbit throughput per port, which you wouldn't be able to really use on a Z77 if you use SLI or want 16 lanes for your GPU.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  15. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Hangon, are u guys saying that if i wait to buy a haswell refresh system i will be able to put a broadwell cpu in it later?

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

if it's reusing the same chipset, almost certainly.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

And this is why Z68/Z77 was a better platform. Fuck Highpoint anything.

X79 is *clunky*. 3rd party SATA3/USB3 controllers are somewhat annoying to use (although the Intel USB3 also requires drivers) and also in the case of SATA controllers, has worse throughput (iops, sustained transfers).

Building an X79 system feels more like building a Server box, shit is wierd till you get drivers, and even then its still not quite what you'd hoped. Z68/Z77 just work.

X79 does have more lanes, and certainly for Workstation use it is a better system (if you need to GPGPU, *crazy* storage iops, etc) - but as a gaming box, its just meh.

Which is annoying because the subsect of people who game AND do real work (and I fall into this) get to put up with a half-assed product, or live with half the ram and 2/3rds the cpu cores.

The jump to 602/606 (aka Xeon land) isn't that much, and the peripheral support is just as bad (actually strike that, the current SAS/SATA EST/RSTe/get activation key thing is pretty bullshit) - but you get access to a shitload more horsepower/ram at the cost of Xeon premiums and ECC ram.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  18. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Still the 4820 makes for a decent gaming cpu, slightly better reliability at getting 5ghz :) x79 boards after searching around are also not that expensive, got mine for 250,had 10 sata ports, 4 way sli etc

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

At double the power envelope to the 3770k...

On the topic of, I thought it was easy as to get 3770's to 5ghz and that haswell was the tough one (offset by better IPC).

20. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

After I posted that I wondered if it even mattered anymore. With games starting going much more smp compliant