2018 in gaming.

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by FIREWIRE1394, Dec 30, 2018.

1. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Well 2018 is almost over so let’s go back and take a look at some of the highlights of the year.

In January Mad Catz was re-established.
    For those who love sub par peripherals and cheap plasticy feeling steering wheels, 2017’s bankruptcy may have been a kick in the face.
    But there was no need for alarm because almost as soon as we were free, they came back.

Yuji Naka (Sonic the Hedgehog creator) Had had enough of doing his own thing since leaving Sega in 2006 and Joined Square Enix.

Then nothing of Note happened till E3 in June.
    EA delivered a huge middle finger to RTS gamers the world over by announcing that Command and Conquer would be a mobile game.
    The game came out this month and not a single fuck was given, but at least this was the worst gaming could get in 2018, no one could alienate a whole fan base as much as that…
    Devolver Digital followed up their Amazing 2017 E3 conference with another amazing effort.

In August. A mass shooting happened at a madden NFL tournament…
    This was to be expected, if people play EA sports games, of course they’ll get violent at playing such shitty games.

In September. Telltale games shut down and dicked over most of the staff.
    Many were surprised, as telltale had done mostly good games, but had also turned out a few buggy pieces of crap that people still loved for some reason.

In November. Blizzcon was held in California where blizzard announced to hardcore dedicated fans that had paid lots of money to be there that Diablo was going to be a mobile game! And not just that, it was going to be a reskin of another mobile game, and not just that, when booed by the crowd, the people on stage said ‘you guys have phones right?’ This event gave rise to the lowlight of modern gaming, where a fan asked ‘Is this an out of season april fools joke?’ and you could see his heart was actually breaking as he asked the question.
    If EA flipped gamers off with C&C, Blizzard flat out spat on them, before shitting into their hands and throwing the shit in gamers faces and then using their shit covered hand to forcibly fist every gamer there.

Prima games also announced they are to be shutting down after 28 years.. Turns out people don’t want to pay $30-40 for a book to a game that cost $60 and can be covered by every website on the internet within hours of release for nothing.

This month. Capcom introduced Bonuses for allowing in game ads in street fighter 5.
    I am speechless… There are no words to express how this makes me feel... Even Capcom are fucking up.
    Of Course there were a tonne of remakes and re-releases like Spyro and Shenmue. And a Nintendo switch version of every game you played 3-5 years ago.
    And the Switch versions cost the same or more than they did 3-5 years ago.

2018 is the first year that EVERY single game released had a day one update!

Sega set a world record ‘The most amount of remakes no one gives a shit about’
    2018 was the year they finally released their 4,000th fucking megadrive collection…
    3500 are on every console known to man, and 500 are on shitty plug and play ATGAMES consoles that are worth about $5…

Sony Tried to cash in on the 'Small mini retro consoles fad' that Nintendo do well, and Sega outsource to people that do poorly.
    Sony Did it even worse than Sega, which sega fans thought was outright impossible. They picked games that don’t represent the brand at all, and they’re poorly emulated, at a ludicrous price, and even collectors don’t want them.

Valve released a card collecting game. Not content at rolling in money for doing nothing, they decided to release something in the hopes of rolling in more money for doing nothing.

Battlefield 5 has finally become no different to COD. Also vehicles fix themselves with magic fairies.

COD BLOPS 4 was actually good, making COD good for the first time in oooh 11 years?

Fallout 76 exposed Bethesda as the bug riddled, shitty developer they’ve ALWAYS been.. Also something about Garbage bags because $5 of canvas is too expensive for people paying $200 for a shit game.
    If a game is shit, you at least want a nice bag so you can pack up and walk away from it...

Following a 5 year long early access period, DayZ was officially released… into version 1.0, AKA BETA (Yeah I was surprised too, I forgot about the game in 2014 like everyone else)

Rockstar released Red Dead Redemption 2. Not a new GTA because 5 is still selling after more than 5 years somehow.

Nintendo released Mario Tennis, Mario Party and Super Smash brothers Ultimate, All good, and worth the asking price, but in 5 years when they still cost exactly the same price it’ll be a bit bullshit, but for now, all good Nintendo. It's samey, We've all played all of these games before... but at least the games work and don't have updates every 3 fucking hours... Keep up the good work.

In the 1 day left of the year, I am sure nothing can go super wrong.. So I’m calling it now.. I had more fun watching all the drama and people raging than I did playing games from 2018, But I guess in 2019 every game that was ever any good will be on mobile anyway.

What are your highlights and lowlights for the year?

What should this years motto in gaming be?
    I Propose the following:
    2018: an out of season april fools joke.

(My actual Highlight from 2018 was playing a game from 2017 with Breath of the WIld. The first enjoyable Zelda game since Links awakening on gameboy in 1993)

2. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I just started playing Breath of the wild and it’s good but omg Links Awakening was the best!

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. OP
    OP
    FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Give it time, botw will become great like links awakening.

Looking at that article, a bunch of yearly conferences happened, some companies no one cared about closed and there were some take overs..

So my statement nothing of note is accurate.
    a complete list includes all the unimportant bullshit.
    Like having a complete collection of games for a console... fucking why? Why do you want barbies horse adventure or Mary Kate and ashley rescue lost puppies in New York??

instead of picking an event from the barren February to May period and told us about it, you post a blanket wiki (edit: article), which in fact strengthens my statement that nothing important enough happened for you to type to correct me, or even copy a body of text about a great game or significant event.

;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Drizz06 likes this.
  5. elvis

Wow. Some real anger there, friend. I hope you're doing OK.

A dozen different major games in that list from the early part of the year that I think are "of note". Dragon Ball Fighter Z is one of the biggest fighting games to be released in years, and is seeing tournaments run with more prize money than I earn in a year. Celeste was one of the most outstanding indie games in ages setting records for review scores. Metal Gear Survive made everyone angry because no Kojima. H1Z1 came out of beta and had a moment of hype. Sea of Thieves caused upset with it's pricing model. Owlboy got stellar reviews. Southpark proved you can make a great RPG out of a weird IP. And that's just the short list.

Not of note to you? Neat. Heaps of note to me. I guess we're all different, eh? Gaming as an industry is enormous - bigger in pure dollars than film and music combined. To suggest there was "nothing of note" for a 4 month window in an industry that only grows bigger every year is a pretty questionable statement. I bought more games in 2018 than I have in a long time, and did so the entire year around, no gaps. Was a pretty great year for me in gaming.

As an example, of zero interest to me. But note my lack of anger about it, because I understand people have different tastes. Still of note, simply because it exists and people who are not me care about it.

Now, let's be friendly about our combined passion of gaming, yeah?

Link's Awakening gets mega points from me for being one of the weirder Zelda titles. A great bit of surrealist story writing.

But yeah, BotW is certainly my favourite of the 3D Zeldas. I enjoyed the lower level of constraint the game had (you could head straight for the final boss at any time you want, if you were skilled enough). I hope future Zelda games retain a similar level of openness and freedom, as that was brilliant.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    trippyfoo and power like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Not so much anger, as sadness. And the fact you’ve typed up an actual reply is good, that’s what I was trying to get at. From your initial post, that didn’t imply much care of either love or hate (and both are ok in a discussion)

I’m actually glad you brought up sea of thieves.. I’ll look into what’s pissed people off about it, but it was the first RARE game since I was 5 that I simply didn’t care about. Even when they started making god damn Kinect games I cared... I was fucking livid that Microsoft had turned one of the best developers in the history of games to something beyond a joke, but I still cared and hoped they’d one day be able to make a great game again.

I’m not saying it was a bad year...

Sometimes it takes something special to show you that despite EVERYONE making you want to hate gaming there are sparks there to remind you that it’s enjoyable. And this year, that spark was from last year ahaha.

One of my friends actually told me about the Diablo thing, he’s a massive blizzard fan (paid to watch the blizzcon stream) and when he was telling me that story about it, how they could fuck over loyal, dedicated fans that much it honestly saddened me enough to type about it, I’m not a HUUGE Blizzard fan myself.

But I felt the same way as he did when Microsoft said rareware were making Kinect games... I knew he was feeling that a part of his spirit was being crushed and it reminded me of the same thing I thought when sega discontinued the Dreamcast to focus on shovelware... why make great when good sells better.

7. elvis

Fair enough. My passion for the games industry, past and present, is pretty huge. Even when there are titles that don't interest me to play, I still like to follow their development, release and reception. And I even have a soft spot for really, really terrible games (whether they're boring or bad). I think there's always a story to tell behind them.

Big companies buying out smaller ones is always a little sad, and ditto for when good companies go bad. I'm old enough to remember when folks like EA and Konami made great games, and seeing what they've become in modern times is frustrating.

Bungie and Rare are two that Microsoft inhaled. The silver lining there is that the best of those respective teams took the buyout money and moved on to do other things (ditto with people who used to be the big hitters inside Konami and EA). And while I agree that it hurts when good names turn to mush, I at least am satisfied knowing that some good people got paid and can take that money to start new ventures with their talents. A lot of that is why I love the indie scene so much, and why lately I tend to follow individual developers more than the companies or brands they work for.

Same with Blizzard, and you summed it up I think that it is a little sad. But I don't think anyone's getting "fucked over". The folks who made Diablo will go on to do other things, regardless of what the Blizzard brand does. And there are games like Van Helsing, Victor Vran, Torchlight and others that will carry the mantle. Some smaller in scope and scale, and some larger, and likely more to come with recent news.

I don't want to live in a world where people just keep pumping out endless sequels. A hypothetical "Diablo 7" is less interesting than people who take all the good ideas in Diablo and make something totally new, without the constraints of that world. My favourite example is Okami - easily one of my favourite games ever. And, in my personal opinion, a better game than any Zelda title before it (BotW might have eclipsed it since). But what made it great was that it took everything amazing about Zelda, and added to it in a way Zelda never could, because of self-imposed restrictions.

Shake ups and buy outs definitely sting when we first hear about them, but a bit like forest fires, sometimes you need a "violent cleansing" in order for new things to be able to grow in place of the old stuff.

Let's not forget either that we're in a world now where game development is a multi-year event. Bigger titles are taking 5+ years to get out - massive ones like BotW and RDR2 closer to 10. I don't think 2018 was short on games at all, but I am seeing different people claim certain years are better or worse than others based on individual taste. FPS fans are going to have a very different opinion on 2018 to RPG fans, for example.

8. OP
    OP
    FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

:) As long as I don't have to play the bad games it's all good. most of the bad games of 2018 will just be labeled 'unfinished' or 'in beta' or 'early access'

EA still manage to turn out a good game from time to time.. ;) you just don't hold your breath waiting for it.

For me the buyouts weren't too bad. especially Rare to start with, They still had some OK games, and even some great ones (Viva pinata was amazing) when they got put on kinect games though, it was a case of heartbreak.
    And I wouldn't say I LOVE the indie scene.. I mean, like a game won't get a pass because it's indie, which a lot of people I know into the indie scene will play games and praise them JUST for being indie. But let's be honest.. for every don't starve, minecraft, darwinia, and binding of Isaac there's just a pile of absolute shit that people will play just because it's indie, then try to pass off as being good because of that fact.

I won't write a game off just because it's a major studio, just like I won't automatically pass a shit indie game like a LOT OF PEOPLE in the indie scene do.

And those branch off's are always the thing to keep eye's peeled for. Back in the day I gave timesplitters a chance because I knew who was involved. Ditto with Ready at Dawns games. As long as the games were good I'd keep following.

I'm glad you brought up Okami, it is a great game, but think about all the shit that outsold it and you have to shake your head. when I see okami I get sad.. I call it beyond good and evil syndrome. Amazing game that was simply overlooked by everyone. :(
    You mention endless sequels and Zelda in the same breath (of the wild AHAHAHA) You say a hypothetical Diablo 7... Zelda is at what 21 games now (Only liked 2 of them, but I've played about 15 at one point or another) And king of endless sequels... Mario Has to be WELL over 100 games at this point.. Lets just put New in front of it and a 2 at the end of it and sell it as a different game. or the 7th rerelease of one.. lets redo 64, add in touch screen and sell it for a new $70.

I don't mind sequels at all, I just want there to be a bit of a gap between the games, which I'm guessing is what you were referring to.
    I don't have a problem with a game, then a new one a couple of years later.. It's the yearly releases of stuff that bugs me just a little... Fifa doesn't need to be a yearly release ahaha. Could have 1 game and then $5 DLC for the next 4-5-6 years.

DLC, updates and patches can be done properly... BUT NO ONE DOES!!! Best example of DLC, updates and patches I can think of done right was actually DUN DUN DUN.. EA.
    Burnout paradise was a great full game that worked properly without a day one update.. then they did some free DLC packs.. then they sold some DLC packs later on for a decent price.
    That was more than a decade ago now.. How is making a proper full game, then releasing it, then adding to it SO HARD!

Like Shenmue. that was always a huge undertaking, and almost put sega under paying for it. And then it got remade. The original game worked perfectly for 17 years... Modern version NEEDED A DAY ONE UPDATE and now the patches are bigger than the entirety of the games were.
    Why did the game work perfectly in 2001 and has never needed an update??? but in 2018 you need 4GB of patching just to make the cut scenes work?

If any dev is gonna spend huge amounts of money and take all the time, the least every dev could do is test their games. and I mean test the games BEFORE THEY SELL THEM. Biggest scam ever.

I'm not going into year VS year .. Lets just say that 1998 was the single best year in gaming in my lifetime (Seriously If anyone says 1998 wasn't the best year of gaming, I question if they were playing games in 1998 or if they have ever played any game)... and 2018 was the worst.

(and yes, 2018 was the single worst year for FPS there has ever been.. Cod is enjoyable and Battlefield is shit.. WHAT???)

And I have found ONE redeeming game of 2018:
    The PS4 got a game called Tetris Effect.
    I initially thought, UGH another shitty version of tetris that can't compete with the original gameboy... But then I saw it was from Tetsuya Mizuguchi. Since he's made the best music and puzzle games of the past 2 decades, and since Tetris is the best puzzle game of all time:

I'm going to call it the BEST GAME OF 2018... and I haven't even played it. (that's either how bad the year was or How good ALL of Mizuguchi's previous work was.. up to people to decide)

If anyone doesn't know the name.. Space Channel 5, Rez, Lumines, Meteos, Every Extend Extra, Gunpey.

I've never suggested to ANYONE to play a game I haven't. But I'll suggest tetris effect on blind fanboyism, because sometimes that's all you have.

Basically, all of my rants would be void if games didn't have updates. Because a shit game would stay a shit game, so people would try to make it properly!

9. elvis

Sure, it's entertainment. I like B-grade horror films, and I like some shitty games. The Japanese call these "Kusoge" (literally "shitty/crappy game"), and there's a whole subculture of people who track down these to play them.

But I also appreciate some people have no time for that. But that's the beauty of art. :)

A lot of people hype the indie scene because they're sick of the bigger studios. For them the "war" is political. I don't have a lot of time for that. There's room in the market for everyone, and every game should be judged on its merit.

And with that in mind, small games with a small budget and a small shelf price get judged differently to enormous Triple-A games. That doesn't mean I go easier on them. But there is a case of relativity when considering what the goal of the game was, what it aimed to achieve, and if it did that in a cost-effective way. If an indie game gives me a few hours of good quality fun for the price of a movie ticket, then that's a win.

But yes, indie doesn't get a pass for being indie, nor do I hate Triple-A because it's Triple-A. I enjoyed RDR2 and Spider-Man as much as I enjoyed Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy. And there was a lot of indie and Triple-A I didn't buy because I didn't like what was on offer.

Agreed, but I can also see why so many people missed it. It doesn't have the flashy broad-spectrum appeal of other games, so it gets overlooked. Also in recent years there's been a real dislike of Japanese developed games (especially by western PC gamers). I think that bias needs to die, and as above, folks need to judge games on individual merit.

Okami also is published by Capcom (despite being developed by Clover, who were linked to Capcom but not really), which again makes people irrationally angry. I put an Okami thread up and had a few "fuck Capcom" responses, which showed to me that many people still judge books by their covers. No surprises there, it's what humans do. And as above, it's why I prefer to follow developers instead of companies. The team at Clover have all moved on since as the studio closed down, and are individually responsible for some great games at a variety of companies.

Mario being a mascot character, you can't really say there's "100 Mario games". There's 100 games with Mario in them, but not all of them are "Mario games". Mario Tennis is just tennis, for example.

I didn't have much love for any of the 3D Zeldas to be honest, until BotW. And I'd be fine for it not having a sequel for some time yet. But BotW is a good example of throwing an established style of game on its head. If that game had some other character in it, nobody would associate it with Zelda. It was made mostly by younger Nintendo developers who all pushed for new ideas to remove the stale nature of the previous Zelda titles, and it worked. It could have been an entirely new IP without any great fuss, and the only thing Nintendo really contributed was budget.

Nintendo are a bit of an odd one out in the games market. They're 129 years old (not a typo), and a great example of a traditional Japanese business where people employed there stay for life. While it's normal for western employees to jump around employers, branch off and make their own companies, etc, that's not something that happened a lot in Japan (it's starting to change today a little - see Capcom/Clover/Platinum as an example). I don't think looking at Nintendo will ever give you much of a feel for the games industry, because they're an entity in and of themselves.

And with all of that said, and me ranting about sequels and new IP, allow me a moment of hypocrisy when I exclaim: "Hey Nintendo, where's my Metroid Prime 4?". :)

10. power

power Member

I had an amazing year in gaming, I swear i finished more games than any year before as I adopted a new philosophy for completing more games than i start. I also acquired a fair bit of hw and put most of it to good use and continued my mission to fill out my collections with everything i want to play on those systems.

Speaking Zelda it was my first year with Zelda and well let's just say i did finish a few of them. As a newbie to the series I felt like i had a chunk of catching up to do and yeah i really got into it. Now I'm not a 100% completionist but I'm definitely someone that likes to take my time I don't just charge through the content.

My Switch was gifted 2017 for Chrissie along with BoTW and Odyssey, I then proceeded to complete them :) next up was Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD and Skyward Sword on my Wii U that I bought in 2017. Currently still plugging away at A Link Between Worlds on 3DS (seriously the 3D is so under rated on this machine I never turn it off).

The SNES CE got a good workout and i finished Secret of Mana on that what an awesome little system it is (mine is modded which is super helpful for save scumming which has been invaluable on Earthbound).

from that link above https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_video_gaming i played and finished.

Night in the Woods PC
    Shadow of the Colossus PS4
    FC5 PC
    God of War PS4
    Detroit Become Human PS4
    Spider-Man PS4
    TWD final season ep 1 and life is strange 2 ep1 PC
    Red Dead 2 PS4
    Toki Switch
    GRIS PC

then i pulled a ton out of my backlogs on various systems and finished them, Dreamcast, PS3, some Wii U and Wii games, a Gamecube game (Timesplitters future perfect) and even 3DS.

after that there were massive dents put into things like AC Origins, FFXV, Octopath traveller, Earthbound (SNES classic again). Played a ton of smaller indies and things like that too.

Such a great year for games, to me it's not just about what has come out but what i discover in back catalogues that makes it all worth it.

Miyamoto in his own way has inspired my philosophy when he spoke about a delayed game being eventually good. A delayed play through of a good game is better than playing a new rubbish game!

i had a couple of disappointments but they were outweighed by the positives so much they are barely worth mentioning. So I won't.

elvis likes this.
  11. elvis

You've mentioned that a few times, and I admire the effort. I tried to do the same, and failed miserably.

My goal this year was simply to play more games. "Retro Let's Play" is a big part of that, and a motivation for me to put down work for a minute and play some old games I missed. It's helping, but I'm still nowhere near finishing things.

But, with that said, I finished more games in 2018 than I did in the, say, 5 years before. That made me happy.

12. power

power Member

the main reason i've been doing it to be completely honest is so many games i've played now have exceptionally great content locked away toward the end of the game.

the best gameplay of more than half of the games i've played happens in the beginning and the back maybe quarter of the game.

TLDR people miss out on some of the best shit by not finishing games!

I love your let's play but it tends to clash with my own gaming schedule but i like it as an opportunity to discuss games i have played.

elvis likes this.