2019 Guru3D TIM Roundup

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by juzz86, Aug 28, 2019.

1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Was just reading Hilbert's latest piece and thought it might be a handy reference to have here for those of us changing TIM a lot:

Article Link

Considering most of us are trying to hit the straps, you'll want to look here at the 5GHz 9900K AIO results.

No surprises with Conductonaut, the big surprise for me is the CM Maker stuff - they're reasonably priced and easy to come by.

Old favourites like Gelid and Noctua still putting in a good show, but 12C between worst and best (8C if you discount liquid metal) shows that there is probably a little more room to be gained with good paste!

:thumbup:

Wozzernux, bennyg, RnR and 4 others like this.
  2. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Interesting article. I'd be curious to know how they all stack up in say 1 month's time of settling. One of the things I found with Arctic Silver 5 in particular is that it takes a good 2-4 days to settle/cure, over which time its performance improves significantly. Also, more volatile pastes tend to perform extremely well for short periods but tend to dry out and lose efficiency over time. This was one of the "puzzles" that I often wrestled with when attempting to measure the performance of various water-block designs, being how to obtain repeatable measurements. One time I had measured dT on a CPU that had been sitting mounted for a few weeks with AS5. I then mounted a new block that should have performed better, but it measured worse. After much head scratching and re-checking/re-mounting everything again and again it was still worse. I put back on the original block, and lo and behold, it too was something like 6C worse under load than it originally was. I remounted and re-verified about 10 times, and that's when I posted online and a number of us independently confirmed AS5's curing behavior, including involving the original manufacturer in the discussions.

Other pastes we had tested worked really well at first, but dropped off in performance as they dried out. One guy with a thermal testbed (not a CPU) tested with simply water as a thermal paste. It performed fantastic, until it dried up. He then tried oil, and that too worked well until it dispersed.

The moral is that in measuring thermal pastes, it's an extremely arduous and long task to do so. We're talking a good 2 weeks per paste measured to obtain quality results after the effects of curing finalise.

I still use AS5 to this day, but one has to understand it's not simply a matter of slapping it on, and expecting great results in the first hour. For rapid repeatable testing I used to use cheap silicone based paste that I bought in bulk, but for the final long term mounting, I'd use AS5 and follow a curing regimen to allow it to settle to obtain full efficacy.

juzz86 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

True mate. Welcome back, also!

I remember a few years ago now Artic used to market their different pastes to different sectors - like they had AS5 for long-term high performance, Alumina for short-term quick-cure (testing) and maybe Ceramique for the middle ground? That's testing the memory a bit, but curing time isn't something you see acknowledged a lot, even in the paste's own manual.

Always brings me basck to Dan's old writeup - I still chuckle :thumbup:

4. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Oh wow, I'd actually forgotten the Ceramique until you mentioned it :)

actually, that CoolerMaster Mastergel Maker looks like something I might try out.

5. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Pretty sure I have a Ceramique and an Alumina lurking around in the shed still somewhere.

I actually got into the cheap eBay “GDxxx” stuff a little while ago and have been pretty impressed, especially with the 910. Price/performance very good. The lowest-tier white stuff dries out in about six months, but the grey stuff is still going strong after about eighteen.

I wish I had a bit more time to run a few cheapies through the wringer - there’s at least some data on the brand-name stuff, but nothing on anything else. And it’s proving to be not all doom and gloom in the generic stuff.