23andme and what now

Discussion in 'Science' started by mibberz, Mar 18, 2018.

1. mibberz

mibberz Member

i spent some money and it turns out i am white enough to have white privilege but have only enough African DNA to say NIG, not not GER or have a sense of rhythm,

but what can i do with my file?

oh i also have a Neanderthal trait that means i have less back hair, someone should tell the forest on my back this.

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

So what does this entail? I've been thinking of giving it a go, but not sure how to justify the cost.

3. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

ok i did a bit of extra research
    apart from learning only a bit of stuff on 23andme that i already knew.

but the data file, i uploaded it to https://promethease.com/ and found out i need to eat alot less sugar and less bad fats and probably run a bit more. it told me that because of a gene i have i am 99% to have a version of blue eyes, with only one person recorded on 23andme saying they have brown eyes and this gene.

if money is a issue dont do it, if you are going to do it keep a eye out for when they do 20% off for days like st patricks day and stuff, and i think it is a good tacky gift for a relative who you have no idea what to buy for them (ie me, people just give me cash now or food)

also keep in mind this isnt sequencing
    https://customercare.23andme.com/hc...difference-between-genotyping-and-sequencing-

might be a good gift for the whole family or to find out why your kid has red hair

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Don't you sign away the rights to your genes and further genetic testing? Also, if we suddenly get a tyrannical international government, all your DNA will already be on file?

5. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

oh... if thats your worry good for you, and then what... i thought you would be to worried about falling off your flat earth?

alexb618 likes this.
  6. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Bought one of these kits and never mailed it in (you relinquish control of your sequencing when you grant permission to test).

You should check out http://geneticgenie.org/

Kommandant33 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

and what can you do with your sequencing, which i had genotyping not sequencing...... big difference, so maybe your on the flat earth as well ?

8. shredder

shredder Member

Could you do it under a false name?

9. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

10. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

do you want to look like him?

11. antipody

antipody Member

If you have your 23 and me results check out foundmyfitness.com for some very interesting nutrigenomics and other analyses.

12. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Well, they have caught the East Area rapist in America - I believe one of his relatives did a genealogy test and then they worked it out from there.

This is fantastic news for the victims, families of victims and survivors..

And it goes to show that when you send off your DNA swab to make sure you are indeed human, the information will pass through a lot of hands...

13. RnR

RnR Member

Kommandant33 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

so lets say your sister puts there data on a DNA site, you share alot of information, does that mean they(dna company and sister) have infringed on your rights? my answer would be no. also if YOUR data you put on a site YOU can remove your data, but you cant remove someone elses.

15. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I don't get what you are saying.

I think the issue is that ALL the data is being passed through the government, like a big DNA dragnet..

Let's say instead of looking for serial killers, they decide that they are going to look for people carrying a certain gene that needs to be taken out of circulation - it's very extreme, but we have seen genocide come out of relatively peaceful times.

That may be an extreme example, but whoever sent their DNA to a private company to privately find out about their genetic history probably didn't expect to help crack a major case and put a relative behind bars for the rest of their life..

16. RnR

RnR Member

I didn't get that from the article I linked. I understood it as the investigators submitting DNA captured at a crime site to a website and then telling the website that they were the owners of the DNA. They went on a fishing expedition basically and lied about it but it paid off. The ethics however is concerning.

17. oculi

oculi Member

Before I submitted a DNA sample I'd be getting them to sign a NDA.

18. lxboston

lxboston Member

Did you find interesting results for your data relating to nutrition intake and what is best for you? Any insights into whether it worked?

Thinking about giving this one a go

19. antipody

antipody Member

I haven't got any personal genomics data but I love Rhonda Patrick's feed. She will teach you stuff you will wonder why you never knew before.

20. OP
    OP
    mibberz

mibberz Member

umm, there is no serial killer gene, i think you need to understand a bit more about genes...
    there is a gene that gives everyone with it blue eyes, apart from the 27 people that don't have blue eyes with this gene,

so lets say there is a gene that makes you skeptical about everything, it doesn't guarantee that you will be skeptical it just increased your chances, but i think you have more a problem with the government than genome sharing.