$250-400 for laptop headphone setup

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Stornn, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Stornn

Stornn Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for better sound than my Sennheiser PX100s can offer now. I am looking at a new pair of headphones and something to drive them: my source would be my Toshiba Satellite 6100 playing music, games, and watching the occasional movie. My budget is 250-400 bucks, preferably around 300. I'd prefer an open, circumaural design but am willing to try supra-aural or closed if it offers significantly better sound quality. Comfort is a factor for me, and I want something that can be worn for 3 hours+ without discomfort on ears (my PX100s are great in this aspect). Portability is not an issue.

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DTX900 for headphones, but not sure how they are with gaming.

Could anyone help me out? Thanks very much.

Edit: Please help! :(

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  2. orF

orF Member

Take your laptop into a shop and try them out on it? :p

Basically when it comes down to it, the best speakers in the world will sound better than the 2nd best on any source, aslong as it has the power to drive them.

Though the sound's quality, dynamic range, distortion etc may suck.
    There is a point where you wont know what your missing unless you listen to something with better quality, more dynamic range and less distortion.

3. stiben

stiben Member

Perhaps see if you can demo something like this Edirol UA-1X with your current headphones to see if a better quality output gives what you are looking for. These can be had for $169 in Oz.

4. OP
    OP
    Stornn

Stornn Member

5. Enverxis

Enverxis Member

are you getting a USB sound card too ?

6. OP
    OP
    Stornn

Stornn Member

Well, I was looking for a USB or PCMCIA solution that would work as a sound card and headphone amp (is there such a thing?).