2600K System reboots under GPU load.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by BurningFeetMan, Sep 7, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

WOW, how did I not know this? Hmm, it's almost worth finding a Z68 with hdmi then making it my media PC, and re-configuring my media pc as my main gaming rig, which is an i5-4460.

EDIT: meh, they're more or less the same power CPU for gaming, so not worth my time.

Just need to settle on a GPU, found a good price for GTX 1660 - which will smash any game that I run at 1080p.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    pwlm1975 likes this.
  2. power

power Member

oh so there is an HDMI?

in that case you can at least use it to use Youtube and shit until you get a GPU.

3. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Nah, no HDMI - I was just wondering if I bought another mobo that has HDMI, cause I somehow had no clue about my 2600K onboard. But it's apples for apples - I'll focus on simply getting a new GPU for my rig for now. I often have this upgrade pattern of getting a new GPU, then a year or two, then getting a new mobo and cpu, then again, another few years and a new gpu...

power likes this.
  4. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Any x6x or x7x motherboard you buy will be old and again, no guarantee of longevity. The GPU is the best idea and at least is transferable.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

6. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

8800gt is waaaay older and would be a poor performer these days

7. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Ah. Damn the naming systems are confusing.

It's getting worse by the year too. At this rate the names will be the length and complexity of a bitcoin wallet

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

8800 > 9800 > GTX2xx > GTX4xx > GTX5xx > GTX6xx > GTX770 (OP)

9. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I upgraded from my 8800GTS to the GTX770 back in 2014, and now I have a GTX 1660 SUPER in the mail. :D

This glitching GTX770 is the worst, cause I did sooo many computery things today for my working shift without any hic-up, but then as soon at I decide to have a game this evening, not even 30 minutes into playing Risk Of Rain 2 my whole computer hard resets. :(

Yah, which is what I'm thinking... the GPU might be just the start of my troubles, I know this MoBo has already been zapped by enough lightning strikes over the years, I'll start keeping my eyes out for my next mobo and CPU over the next year.

I assume that GPUMemTest is definitive, in that when that app is throwing errors that it's 100% the GPU (as opposed to some glitchy glitch in some other piece of hardware?)

pwlm1975 likes this.
  10. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

I am very happy with my 1660S so hopefully it fits the bill for you too.

11. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

If it ever arrives :lol: Looks like I'll have to wait till early October for the delivery. :(

Brief update;
    My main desktop has been resetting without notice a few times a day now, with only Firefox open and no other apps. :(

As my PC is now unstable even when working, I've decided to begin the great unplugging and clean up, dusting out all other components in prep for the GPU swap. It's not too dusty though, but still due for one regardless. And with still a few weeks of waiting for my new GPU to arrive, I might just try re-seating everything, and wiggling every cable, just to be sure-sure that my 770 GTX isn't simply a dash loose.

I recall a year or two ago, similar symptoms occurring, and a similar procedure settled the thing again.

And perhaps an interesting development - in that I've plugged my work laptop into one of my desktop monitors using the same HDMI cable as per my faulty PC, and just even the slightest bump to the cable causes the signal to fail... so I'm very curious on if a wobbly/loose HDMI/video cable can cause such issues...

EDIT 2: Finally found time to gut my rig, air blast all the dust out, re-seat the gpu, and all the HDD's. Will try gaming in the morning to see how long it lasts... mind you, it was rebooting with just daily web-browsing, so will know soon enough if it's at least stabilised until the 1660 Super arrives.

Edit 3: Well, it's survived a full morning of benchmarks from Cinebench, 3DMark, and a couple of Steam games that also have their own Benchmarks too.

... Computers :lol:

Regardless, this 770GTX is going straight into the media PC, so I can play games without the need for streaming and having my gaming rig switched on.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  12. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Heya, my new EVGA GTX 1660 Super arrived 12 days early today. Glad I was home to accept the delivery, it wasn't even in a delivery box and very, errr, obvious and stealable. :Paranoid:

I just went to run one last round of games with benchmarks to collect some stats from my suspect GTX 770 for comparisons, but nope, got 10 seconds into Batman Arkham City and pow, lights out, PC reboot. Guess my dust out and re-seat didn't fix anything after all :( alas, it needed to be done regardless.

Time to swap out the GPU and see if it's the culprit, or if there's something else going on here. If problems persist, I would hazard a guess that my mobo is at fault, it's already survived lightning strikes with the onboard NIC being zapped out of existence... It could be the PSU too with that in mind - but from memory I think I swapped that out after the storm with a new 750W.

Will post some details in a day or two with how things progress.

13. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Did you update the drivers first?

14. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yah, they're up to date.

Annnd results are in. This Geforce GTX 1660 GTX is wicked! TimeSpy benchmark looked soooo freakin' smooth!!! ... until it hard reset 20 seconds in. :lol:

So ... guess my media PC is getting a 770 GTX upgrade, and possibly some RAM too... not sure if it's DDR3, will check... :)

... but what to troubleshoot next... I'm thinking more and more that the Mobo is trippin'. Keen for further suggestions.

And yes, GPU usage causes trip, but so does a couple of hours of Youtube vids too, becoming more and more unstable with months, then weeks, then days now.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Try dropping the 1660 power level to ~50% and see if it's stable.

If so, bump it up until it's not.

I'd be guessing it's now PSU.

16. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I used MSI AfterBurner to underclock my GTX 770... and I think the 1660GTX actually draws less at stock in comparison. Being modern, it's a more efficient video card.

If we're guessing the PSU next, well, I think I can work on this by swapping it out with my Media PC PSU. Will prep it all tonight and test in the morning.

Am keen to read up on new Mobo tech, a lot has probably changed since my old GA-Z68X, must be 9 years old now? Guess I got my monies worth :lol: But tbh, I'm just trying to avoid spending and unnecessary landfill, so hate to see things fail. :(

So my 2600K rig was rocking a "Cool Master MWE Gold 750" , which I'll temporarily swap out with a "Thermal Take EVO Blue 2.0 750", both being 750w.

EDIT: tbh, both these PSU's look brand new and in good condition, I don't think the PSU is at fault, but we shall soon see :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  17. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Neither Tt or CM are known for releasing amazing PSUs, and neither manufacture afaik, merely slap a badge on other company's gear.

18. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yeah, so I’m reading now... keeping an eye on my modular cabling as not to mix any cables up. It’s a complete surprise that I haven’t done so previously and that some how all my cables are compatible... will double check pin print outs tomorrow.

19. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

was the 2600 K overclocked at all?

my old bro still has a 2600K system with similar board still running strong, but had to swap out PSU from that era.

He experienced similar issues with 3d, and it was PSU, as it was when the system was drawing alot of a power, never had an issue with freezing at idle/desktop.

could also try a number of RAM sticks, since you have 24GB, which is an odd number in itself, could have a bad memory stick too.

id be trying another PSU first, then ram sticks, if problem persists, likely CPU or MOBO has degraded.

20. ozz

ozz Member

baking is a hit and miss, more miss than hit, you shouldnt need to underclock it, if youve changed drivers and it goes ok then plays up again, high chances are the card is faulty, bite the bullet and buy something else, less hassle and troubles gone