27" Monitor vs 32" full hd tv

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by sx014, Mar 16, 2016.

1. sx014

sx014 Member

Im looking for a tv or monitor for my ps4 to game on. Im split between a curved Samsung 27" monitor or the benq 27" gaming monitor, or a Samsung 32" full hd led tv.

Any thoughts and experience from console gamers would be good before I invest in one.

2. karigan

karigan Member

Recently started gaming on my ROG Swift from my console and it's actually amazing! Definitely go the monitor!

3. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

Depends on how close you're sitting. If you're sitting in front of it like a computer definitely the monitor.

4. HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

I mainly play first person shooters (currently COD WW2) and going from a TV to 27" 144Hz Monitor was a massive difference for me!

Definitely go the monitor!

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Why would a PS4 require a 144Hz monitor? AFAIK it only runs at 30fps.

6. power

power Member

30-60, however tv's generally suffer more input lag as well. on top of the lag from the controller itself it's not too bad really unless you are hardcore (in which case buy a PC already).

7. HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

I'm well aware that a PS4 runs at 30-60fps but as Power stated its more the fact that a good monitor has a lot less input lag.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Then won't a regular monitor works just as well not requiring a 144Hz one? Or ROG Swift as another user also suggested?

9. HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

Would a regular monitor have as low input lag as a good gaming monitor?

I only used that 144Hz monitor as I just upgraded and it was sitting around not being used....

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Again, I stress this point. It's a PS4. Would it matter about the input lag between a regular monitor and a 144Hz one? Unless you're playing professionally, I doubt it even matters between TV and Monitor.

11. HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

I don't see what your problem is mate....

The guy has asked people's opinions on the matter and I've given my 2 cents given I noticed a difference with the same setups...

Just giving my opinion and it's like your trying to discredit or prove me wrong...

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Just asking. No need to get defensive.

13. HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

:thumbup:

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've moved from a 1080P 32" TV to a 1440P 27" Monitor literally a few days ago. Although I preferred the extra size of the TV, the picture quality on the Monitor is outstanding. I wouldn't go back. I've never tried a curved Monitor but I *assume* that viewing angles on a curved screen would only work if you were sitting in front of it.. a reasonable thing if its a dedicated monitor and you sit directly in front of it, but using it as a TV screen with other people (mrs one metre to my left) watching as well, it probably wouldn't work as well.

I bought a Viewsonic 1440P 27", but for the same price you can get a similar AOC 32". I went with the 27" because it has Vesa mounting, whereas the AOC's for some inexplicable reason do not, and Vesa is important in my grand plan. At $319 for the Viewsonic, and ~$300 for the AOC's, they seem pretty good value to me. I'm not up with the specs, like 144KHz and such, but my Viewsonic specs say 120KHz horizontal and 75KHz vertical? so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right numbers.

I'm also not up with response times, not being a gamer. My specs say 5ms (GTG W/OD) and 14ms(Typical GTG ). Is that lag, and what is W/OD vs Typical ? I have no clue.

The speakers (at least it actually has some, I guess) are fucking awful. In fact, the sound is better if I use my bluetooth Microlab T1 cup headphones and just sit them in front of the monitor if wifey is watching a movie with me. I guess this is fair enough though, its a monitor, not a TV.

Specs on my Viewsonic can be viewed by those in the know HERE under the 'view full specs' tab if anyone is interested in interpreting them for we who know fuck all.

All in all, I feel I made the perfect choice, for me. If you don't need Vesa, the AOC at a similar price with similar specs might be better for you. All I can say is, bottom line, the monitor in terms of picture quality is 20 years ahead of the TV IMO. Of course, if you are cashed up you have to make the assumption that a high end monitor will make an even bigger difference, but for me, this thing is awesome compared to a TV.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Hah, I doubt it.

16. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Honestly it depends on how far away from it you're sitting. I have a 48" TV and it feels like the perfect size, but it also feels awkward for me to hook it up to my monitor and play from my desk chair.

Unless you're a pro, I doubt the response time would make that much of a difference.

Madengineer likes this.
  17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I just bought a 32inch monitor that I use for both console and PC gaming. It's amazing.