2Gig ram and Pagefile

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by T-O-D, May 13, 2006.

1. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

Hey guys, just wondering if its possible to turn my pagefile off (well at least down to 1 meg or something) now that i have recently aquired 2Gig of ram???

I've been taking note of how much memory (ram and PF) that my system uses and it SEEMS that it would all be able to fit into my ram (even when playing Oblivion/FEAR etc) Am i reading that right??? Is it even possible???

I'm just after quick system response, rather than having to wait for my chuggy old ATA100 drive to catch up.

Any and all advice appreciated :thumbup:

2. Deckham

Deckham Member

Stress your machine, note your peak level, and set your VM to around 20% more. Anything more is useless. Forget the 1.5xRAM stuff.

3. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

If you are worried about performance of the page file there is a great XP tweak which forces XP to hold stuff in the mem instead of paging it. It may be a placebo affect but i can feel the diference in responsiveness when i enable it. It it the first tweak on the list on this page.
    http://www.tweakxp.com/article37016.aspx
    I)ickie

4. dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah turn it off.........i've been doing it on 1GB RAM for a while....

i use those tweaks for benching mentioned above.........it SERIOUSLY improved SuperPI performance :D

5. OP
    OP
    T-O-D

T-O-D Member

Cheater :p

Yeah... when i get home tonight I'll have a play around and see what happens when i turn it off. I was under the impression that WinXP "needed" a pagefile, evn if it were a meg or two. :confused:

Cheers for replies fella's

6. BadaBing!

BadaBing! Member

Thanks for that link......shit it really does help! :thumbup:

7. jebusau

jebusau Member

That's good advice... hopefully it won't give you any grief because you have 2GB of RAM, but if you run into trouble it might not be because your running out of RAM - its just that some apps just default to writing to a VM whether its there or not, regardless of whether you have enough RAM - so just keep that in mind... unfortunately aside from getting the app re-written there's not much can be done. imho...

8. OP
    OP
    T-O-D

T-O-D Member

Are these apps common??? Like are most apps written like that??? Or is it more likely to be a small minority???

And would those apps act differently with all the registry tweaks listed above???

9. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

This is a common misconception, MS recommend a pagefile size of (total memory + 11mb), the reason behind this is that the default system setting is to allow a memory dump when a BSOD occurs, this means that the pagefile needs to be at least the size of the system memory plus 11mb for windows to add its own stuff.

Cheers

Z

10. OP
    OP
    T-O-D

T-O-D Member

update

well after spending some of my time on the weekend mucking around with my system and pagefiles.... i can honestly say that I'm stumped.

I've switched it off entirely... and yet its still telling me that its using say 500meg when I'm doing some stuff. I've gone through the virtual memory settings in WinXP, and turned it off on all my drives, I've turned off memory dumping for the error reports, and I've even enabled all those tweaks.

Windows is still using my HDD :mad:

any more ideas??? I'm willing to try most things. I can remember in Win98 you could turn the virtual memory off... .and it would be off. Why isnt the same so in WinXP??? (Unless its just my copy :Paranoid: )

11. chrisorm

chrisorm Member

thats because thats how windows NT/XP is designed to require a HDD based paging file.

you should just leave the pagefile settings as their default or fixed to the size of the ram.

On the DB/web servers I manage I set it to 2GB-4GB and that gives the best performance.

The best thing you can do for its performance is put it on its own RAID array, but I doubt you have a spare set of disks just for the pagefile.

12. MoonSha

MoonSha Member

I have read that XP requires the page file and uses it to store things it doesn't need at that time. I think it's intelligent enough to realise the extra ram and will use it accordingly if it actually needs it.

I would download the TGTC and have a read of the section on virtual memory.

13. .LiQU!D.

.LiQU!D. (Banned or Deleted)

That guide thing didn't work, still running just as slow if not slower. :thumbdn:

14. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

Strange, it worked for me and I only have 1GB.

If you have 2GB though you should be able to disable it without any negative effects. Just keep it in the back of your mind and if any programs begin to crash just re-enable it.

This would probably (although I have no idea) be more common in graphic design or 3D modelling programs where resources can become stretched very quickly and a crash can loose you hours of work.

Just a word of warning I guess.

Colt :D

15. OP
    OP
    T-O-D

T-O-D Member

So you both have pagefile turned off completely??? how???

To the people that are saying that windows "needs" a pagefile; yes, i know this. I just thought that i would be able to use a VERY small amount (if at all) instead of the regular few hundred meg. Windows XP will run on a system with 256meg of ram.... i have 8 times that.

16. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

You can turn the pagefile off... but XP will make one to use anyway. Even if you put the pagefile on a seperate drive to improve IO performance, XP will still sometimes create a small one on the system drive for operating purposes.

Let's hope Vista doesn't rely on VM the same way.

That said, Windows XP's memory management is fairly good. Unless you're trying to save HDD space, turning off the pagefile won't have any real advantage in performance improvements (theoretically and practically). Windows knows how to prioritise properly.

Vista looks interesting... it caches commonly-used programs and preloads them into memory on system boot and in background operation. Better still, once a game is started, the calls to DirectX trigger the rest of the system to switch to low priority, and maximiset the game's performance and access to system resources...
    Something to look forward to. :)

17. uneverno

uneverno (Banned or Deleted)

That's awesome, it works a treat. Thanks for the tip.

18. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i donno i just turned it off....................
    My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance Options > Advanced > Click on No paging file > Set and OK all the screens and you're in business

19. OP
    OP
    T-O-D

T-O-D Member

If you press ctrl+alt+del (task Manager), i bet that it shows you're still using pagefile ;)

Thats what I've done too. And while the "commit charge" has dropped down to only two gig, its still showing up as "400MB PF usage"

Where is pagefile info stored on the system??? i know about the hidden file.... but is it in the boot.ini/win.ini/whatever where all the info is stored???

20. kr0k

kr0k Member

The VM system offers a layer of protection. There is no way to turn off or disable virtual memory system. What you want to do is limit the use of it.

Pretty much all processes in windows are allocated a 4GB address space. What happens from there is the OS decides (depending on how much RAM you got) what goes into physical memory and what doesnt.

It kinda runs some prediction algorithms as well to determine what you most likely will need to be loaded into physical RAM and what isnt. Way you can tell is to enable the option to show "Page Faults" in windows task manager. What a page fault is, is when your program goes to access something in memory, and it doesnt find it in memory, the process of fetching the "page" from the page file and loading into physical ram would count as a page fault.

Obviously the more RAM, the less page faults you would get as chances are more of it would be loaded into memory.

If you really wanna get a nice kick outta windows, try buying 4-8gigs of RAM and sinking in one of those Gigabyte Ramdrive thingo's.