3 Beeps from computer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by MrTanman, Mar 26, 2009.

1. MrTanman

MrTanman (Taking a Break)

So my other computer (PC-A in sig) was on, it was playing music and suddenly the monitor lost detection. Then I could hear looping music (that was playing) between a short interval (where the interval was under 1 second) from my speakers. Computer would not shut down so I had to force turn off.

When I turned it on, the monitor could not detect the system and three beeps were sounded, all of the beeps were quick but the first one was slightly longer.

I referred to my manual and it was a Base 64K memory failure (RAM?). I tried so far is swapping RAM which doesn't seem to work.

2. hadley

hadley Member

3 beeps is usually the video card.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

3. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

Try turning it on without any RAM and see what kind of beeps you get. If it is the same type then it is definately RAM (as the PC will check that the RAM works before the video card). Each bios is different and has different beep codes. Also, some beeps are longer than otheres so make sure you actually listen to the length of the beep.

If the RAM is out and it gives a different beep code, take the video card as see if you get the same one (the 3 beeps your currently getting). Then you can pretty much guarantee it's the vid card.

4. Sleepy Dude..

Sleepy Dude.. Member

its gfx, had the same problem with an 8600GT on a P31-DS3L.
    of course after i replaced it the ram went with it. (although, i knew it had dodgy sectors already)

card will work as a Xfire/SLi/physX card though.

5. OP
    OP
    MrTanman

MrTanman (Taking a Break)

My cards fucked. There was a storm that made my comp restart twice and an hour later the problem happened.

6. Eevo

Eevo (Banned or Deleted)

3 beeps means computer is hungry

7. power

power Member

nom, nom, nom.

clean and reseat your RAM and Video.