'3' key doesn't work on Netbook's keyboard

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by FNQer, Apr 24, 2019.

1. FNQer

FNQer Member

Netbook, old Lenovo X230i, required a W10 reset - and upon reset, the '3' key doesn't work. As far as I know, though I don't use this notebook frequently, this wasn't an issue previous to the reset. A coincidence that the '3' key stopped working, when I resetted its W10?

Cleaned as best I can the '3' key on the keyboard. When I press down on the '3' key, it feels normal - not that's a good diagnostic.

I rebooted, nup.

Uninstalled and re-installed the keyboard drivers, nup.

Changed language & keyboard settings away from its default, nah.

Changed language & keyboard setting back to its default settings, nah.

is it a case of sourcing a replacement keyboard, and taking apart this netbook?

2. ibace

ibace Member

why did it require a win 10 reset? does it still have the original OEM recovery partition? Is restoring that a possibility? Given it is possibly something wrong with the keyboard itself...it MAY be an issue caused by win 10...I have known older laptops which when upgraded [or installed] with win 10 just happen to work even tho the install 'breaks' something. Laptop cameras working upside down with no possibility to fix them is 1 issue I know of...
    My thoughts are that an R/S keyboard is unlikely...but for sure trying to source a replacement [when you're not even sure it is the problem] may be both difficult [to procure and to install] and expensive...so a restore to original O/S may be a better option, at least to determine if the keyboard is R/S...or win 10 affected...

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Certainly could be Win10, it happens, but if you are attached to the netbook and want to keep it, replacing the keyboard is certainly worth a try. Probably just a coincidence IMHO, if you haven't tried to actually use the '3' key for awhile.

Keyboard is $60 shipped, a week or less to your door.

Lenovo x230i Keyboard - ebay.com.au

Installation is not difficult.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Bold Eagle and firey4059 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    FNQer

FNQer Member

attached - it's been reliable until now, used by household in the lounge room for most of its life. $60 is worth getting it resurrected.

i have reset W10 again, and '3' key still doesn't work. just ruling out that its software/w10 based issue.

i've replaced keyboards on lappies before - it's a simple job, thx for the vid link above.

i might go and get a SSD to replace its HDD, while i'm at this KB replacement.

never had a 'key' on a keyboard fail before.

5. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I think it was pretty unlikely to have been an OS issue, but you may be able to further confirm via the BIOS settings - especially if there is a free text field, or you could use the date / time settings.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Ratzz likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    FNQer

FNQer Member

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine...767030?hash=item5673e7edf6:g:XygAAOSwBahVONtE

maybe better purchase, saving $15 than the link above?

i've been looking for a replacement keyboard - these 2 links are the cheapest i can find. careful with all the different nationalities.

going through the troubleshooting steps again, starting with another W10 reset, then go from there. then order on Sunday, if not resolved by then, a replacement kb.

this X230i has been a faithful workhorse.

7. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

It would be worthwhile double-checking via the BIOS before going to all the effort of another Windows reset.

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Absolutely.

Sure. The reason I suggested the one I linked was that its Australian stock and should arrive within a week rather than waiting on the vagaries of international post, but if you are willing to wait then by all means go for it.

9. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Fn-NmLk, then try numeric keypad - does 3 work from that?

If not, try Alt and 51 from numeric keypad

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Pretty sure the old netbook doesn't have a numpad... :(

11. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

Does it work with an external keyboard OK?

12. dimension11

dimension11 Member

I've run into a weird issue before where the T button wouldn't work unless Shift was pressed (ie. forcing a Capital T each time I typed).
    Updating the BIOS solved that, in your case, you should be able to get a 3rd party BIOS at least which should give you more options for modding etc.

13. OP
    OP
    FNQer

FNQer Member

oh, yeah, will do later today, when i get home, didn't think of it.

okay, regardless of the test above, will have a look at BIOS. no doubt it hasn't been updated all this time it was been used.

haven't yet got around to ordering a replacement KB, until i do some more troubleshooting, but it might be just putting off the inevitable.

14. FOTW

FOTW Member

Does a USB keybaord work?

15. OP
    OP
    FNQer

FNQer Member

yup, there you go, works with usb keyboard - it's not BIOS or software/driver related issue, but rather dead '3' key. ordering the replacement kb soon.

16. OP
    OP
    FNQer

FNQer Member

how slack - just ordered....when housemate reminded me the '3' key doesn't work...used their credit card.... upload_2019-5-8_19-37-26.png

17. ex4n

ex4n Member

did you try it outside of windows, or in another OS by any chance?

18. OP
    OP
    FNQer

FNQer Member

yup, tried linux usb, no go....

KB is already delivered....but dinner first.

DONE - replaced the KB, and the '3' key works!

however, I am struggling to get those 2 tiny screws back into the back.

Last edited: May 10, 2019