$300 - what to buy? sound card wise

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by nOOSE, May 4, 2004.

1. nOOSE

nOOSE Member

hey guys.

i finally dicided that i'm gonna get serious with this audio quality stuff.

i am willing to spend 300 dollars maybe more depends how good it is.

now what i want for the sound card are:

1. external
    2.awesome sq. like no gay hissing..no noise u know ..nothing that reminds me of my soundblaster live.
    3.remote would be kewl but that compulsary.
    4.line in (from my cd player..tv..) coax would be good.

so yeah what do u audio experts have for me?

i was looking at the audiophile 2496 usb version by m-audio.

is that a good choice and is there anything else that would come close or better?

nOOSE

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  2. Gruggy

Gruggy Member

I heard the EMU 2412 (not sure of that model number) really kicks ass, even beating a modded RME PAD! Not sure about where to purchase one though.

3. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

M-Audio one is a nice choice, but where can you get that for 300AUD? FireWire one would be even nicer, I suspect.... :)

4. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

yes i heard the EMU 2412 was pretty good, but no idea where u would go buy one in aust

5. Kush

Kush Member

I believe its the E-MU 1212m your talking about...

I recently ordered one from the US, it should be arriving tomorrow. Beware its expensive tho :(
    It cost me $200 USD + $50 USD shipping and I just got a call from the tax place saying I need to pay another ~$80 import duty.

Anyways Ill post some impressions if your interested.

6. OP
    OP
    nOOSE

nOOSE Member

if u could post like a mini review on the 12 12's i'd be really keen to read it coz i wanna get it

nOOSE

7. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

GreenspiderAudio are the aus distro for EMU. They've got the 1212m arriving soon (i've got one on order) for $399 inc free delivery in aus.

edit: i'll try to do an a/b against the m-audio revo (my current card) once i get it as well.

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  8. Kush

Kush Member

nOOSE:
    I do not have my old M-Audio revolution to compare it to anymore. The only other sound card I have at home I could A/B it with is the SB Live, and as you might expect the E-MU smashes it to oblivion in every aspect. Though I do not have the Revolution anymore I think the E-MU is notably better is most regards. For a soundcard the E-MU has an incredibly clear, controlled sound, especially after a little break-in, or maybe its just my ears getting used to the sound.

Bioxeed:
    I eagerly await your E-MU vs Revo comparison. Keep us posted :)

9. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

looks like the 1212 should get here sometime next week if things go to plan.

just gotta remember to pick up a couple of TRS to RCA cables for the 1212 to hook up to my creek headamp.

edit: there/here

10. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Speaking of the EMU - if I've been reading correctly, it has no hardware support for things like EAX? Does this mean it's on a lesser rung compared to a Revo for games?

11. Kush

Kush Member

AFAIK the Revo only has software EAX support...
    The E-MU works fine for games and thats all that matters to me. I think the E-MU does have some hardware accelerated effects so I would guess that it might use less CPU power than the Revo in games but im not too sure.
    Personally I dont see the point in EAX to me its just a selling point.

12. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

unlike the revo the emu cards actually have a rather powerful dsp chip onboard. So if the driver writers were so inclined they could probably implement EAX. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it though as the 1212m isn't anywhere near in that segment of the market.

13. Cav

Cav Member

M-Audio Revolution 7.1 can be had for $200 at Home Theatre PC. They currently appear to have no stock though, and you need to order online via a credit card, if that matters.

14. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Ah, so you're saying the card has the potential to do it, but it hasn't been implemented.

Many people over @ Head-Fi seem to be running the EMU cards with a second, games card. I'd prefer to not have to do that, if at all possible.

Kush: The Revo has support up to EAX2 in hardware, via Sensaura. It's pretty crappy tho :p

15. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

pretty much right there. Though I can't see them implementing much in the way of gaming support per se any time soon. There's a fair bit of info and some good feedback from one of the emu guys over at the unofficial emu forums though the forum is kinda new so theres not that much there yet.

As for running games with software sound. I've been doing that for almost a year now with my revo so i'm not going to see any difference in performance there. I'm more likely to upgrade cpu/mobo rather than stick a 2nd soundcard in unless i can get a bargain on say a 2nd hand Audigy2.