32*1.5tb drives.. what PSU?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Adzgibbo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

i need the 2 into 1 so that when i turn on the button.. both PSU's turn on..

2. Goonit

Goonit Member

Pics or it didn't happen :confused:

Current setup would validate your setup for me.. That's some serious storage!

3. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

mate are you storing uncompressed 24-bit 4:4:4 1080p video or something? hahah

4. STUdog

STUdog Member

Sorry but gibbo will need a psu that supplies 1 single 12v rail not 6 rails. As he will not be need high end vga all the 6 rail psu's will supply you about 40amps for vga and 1 single 12v rail for hdds and molex. Thus this allowing you about 20amps for all you hdds.

All because as 6 rail psu says a total of 100+ amps pretty much means youll NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS. This is because youd need to fill up each rail with the max amperage and for what rail has been designed for. so youd have to fill up the cpu and mobo rail, fill up the pcie rail. fill up the sata and molex rail. You can just add 30 hdds thinking you can use amps from other rails. You just cant

A single rail PSU is the only way.

My mate which gibbo knows has 40x 1tb hdds and has had to install 4 psus as he has gone with 2x 1500w TT and 2x 1200w TTs. This is because the use a multi rail design and supply piss all to the sata rails and molex.

Id reccomend the silverstone decathlon. This supplies 1200w @ 1 single rail at 90AMPS so nearly all of this can be used for HDDS

OR

Id reccomend 2x Corsair HX850 (prob cheaper than 1 silverstone) This psu is a single rail design and suplies a 12v rail at 70amps.

as I have 16x 1.5tb seagates and the starting current is over 40amp. but once in windows the will run at less than one amp.

So he can either get a PSU to handle all spinups at once or can use his raid card to do staggered spin up (which I hate).

Anyway gibbo hope this helps with ur noob question. lol

Catcha

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

are you trying to beat matt?

6. STUdog

STUdog Member

Sup Tim, see my post in modding?

LOL I think he is, The thing is with matt he doesnt care anymore, Has has 40tb of hdd space and will get home from a lan and his pc will sit in the lounge room till next lan.

LOL.

7. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

Did he end up getting those two twelve hundred cases welded for that or still using the PC-201?

8. STUdog

STUdog Member

Still using the Lian Li

He got the 2x 1200s

We starting stripping em down, Took out a few pop riverts and the case pretty much fell apart and all bent so we chucked em

He also got 2x Codgen Server case that are these weird Dual sidded cases. But the works are still in progress for that.

9. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

Matt has no chance he will never get more data than me.. I want to build it up because it will be so much more easier to upgrade better design than my previous servers... and will work out the best for size..

might go a single 1200w..

will see how things go..

10. STUdog

STUdog Member

11. HeXa

HeXa Member

~$2500!!!!

/faints

12. STUdog

STUdog Member

Thats prob the cheap part of the system. The raid cards would be at least $1200 each.

And all the HDDS will cost like $4k

13. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

i want it to be portable.. ive got 2 rackmount servers 1 finished 1 not yet.. (got to wait for the computer desk to be finished) before going any further..

14. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

Yeah one 24 port adaptec card will be about $1600 and 30 1.5tb drives.. will be about $3600

15. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

man, some people have alot of time and money on there hands ;)

But awesome having unlimited storage id say, with the internet plans these days why not? Just store the whole internet on ya PC! :lol:

Would like to see a worklog of the 32x 1.5TB's please, as i would like to slowly cream my pants as i browse the pictures :weirdo:

16. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

hahah no worries.. once i get some more parts ill start the log.. drives are going to hurt the most..

17. rowan194

rowan194 Member

I still have the 6 CD set of The Whole Internet (1995) on my bookshelf. ;) :p :weirdo:

18. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

i can imagine, 32 x 1.5's $$$ BIG BUCKS!! ($105 or so each? ) $3360 wow!

. Why do you need all this storage? i reckon 20TB these days is effecient enough!!! But dont get me wrong, with HD movies taking over people need more space.....:o

19. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

ahhahah win!!! is there a 2009 collection :p

20. OP
    OP
    Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

have 20 now.. but need more.. yeah the HD section loves the bytes..