32*1.5tb drives.. what PSU?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Adzgibbo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Not typically:

"The 80 PLUS performance specification requires multi-output power supplies in computers and servers to be 80% or greater energy efficient at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load with a true power factor of 0.9 or greater. This makes an 80 PLUS certified power supply substantially more efficient than typical power supplies and creates a unique market differentiation opportunity for power supply and computer manufacturers."

from here:

http://80plus.org/80what.htm

2. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Yep, plenty of claims and websites saying things and I understand that but in reality, it doesn't happen. They don't take into account the issues the PSU's cause with power factor and and what the electrical enviroment is like in the first place. Bad PF to start with then all goes out the window, at a LAN where the power is far from clean and smooth with PF off the dial, doesn't matter.

I still stick to my point though, skimp on the PSU with band-aid solutions (running PSU's tied together that are not designed for it) and there is alot money at risk if it goes south.

You don't have 7 grands worth of storage and worry about a few watts here and there.