32bit vs 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by neomatt, Jul 17, 2008.

1. neomatt

neomatt Member

Exactly what are the advantages of 64bit over 32bit? Will it make much difference when gaming?

Gaming is really the only reason I'd use a 64bit operating system if it made a big difference in gaming...

What about overall performance on 64bit? Will things run noticeably faster?

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with my 32bit XP Pro until I can afford to fork out money for Vista Ultimate... Or just stick with XP Pro...

Speaking of which...
    How big are the differences between Ultimate and Home Premium?

Is there an in-between version between home premium and Vista that is better than Home Premium but not as good as Ultimate?

2. DeejW

DeejW Member

There is very little difference between home prmium and ultimate. The only differences are the native backup software, remote access and a few other minor things.

3. jmart38

jmart38 (Banned or Deleted)

home premium is probably a better choice, cheaper - don't really 'need' the extras ultimate has to 'offer'.

4. OP
    OP
    neomatt

neomatt Member

Okay but what about the advantages of 64bit Windows over 32bit?

5. stoopidwog

stoopidwog Member

32bit can only address up 2 3-3.5gb of ram

64bit can address 4gb+

theres prob other things but that seems to be the main one

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  6. Flux

Flux Member

Using vista home premium x64 and do a lot of gaming.
    Steam works perfectly, the only thing I've ever had go wrong which was more common in 64-bit pc's was punkbuster having a hissy fit once in a while, but that's an easy fix.
    Are you building a new system, if not make sure all your hardware is supported in 64-bit.

7. OP
    OP
    neomatt

neomatt Member

New system, q6600, 4850, etc...

I doubt I'll be using punkbuster anyway. It's not a requirement to play a game, just an optional background program.

8. OP
    OP
    neomatt

neomatt Member

Also, I've heard bad things about people having trouble updating to SP1 through Windows Update on Vista... Is that still a problem? Can I just buy Home Premium without sp1 and still be able to upgrade?

9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Sigh, 3 out of 100,000 people have a problem, they post on the net and all of a sudden its assumed its everyone having the problem.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Currently not a great deal at all other than addressing the memory issue, if you can call really it an issue.

11. kreegor

kreegor Member

If you buy Vista now it will have SP1 included on the disc. It is quicker and much much simpler to install with SP1 then to upgrade to SP1 later on. That can take around 45mins to an hour (in my experience anyway).

I have never had an issue with SP1, in fact found Vista a whole lot better with SP1.

Apart from detecting more memory there is no real advantage of 64bit over 32bit. That being said, there is quite a big difference between 2gig and 4gig of ram in gaming so for me 64bit is definitly worth it.

12. Tartarus

Tartarus Member

32-bit operating systems can only index a total of 4GB of RAM. This includes both system memory and graphics card memory, along with a few little things some sound cards or network cards might have. Basically what this means is if you have, for example, a 1GB video card, you will only be able to address 3GB of system memory. With the price of DDR2 these days, and the proof that 4GB of ram outperforms 2GB, any serious new system builder would be wise to invest in 4GB.
    I have used 64-bit Vista Home Premium since the week it came out, on two computers, and have never had a problem I would not experience on a 32-bit OS, except that older 16-bit games won't run without an emulator. (Which is easy to solve) More than anything, 64-bit is undeniably future proof. 32-bit is not.
    Ultimate is a ridiculous waste of money for anyone who doesn't know without a doubt they require the extra features.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  13. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I installed 32bit Vista because I run 64bit linux. I like to have a combination of the two. Not that it makes much of a difference on my low-specced system anyway. :lol:

And I installed Vista Ultimate because the option was there for me. But as others have said, Home premium is sufficient for most users.

There's a good comparison chart on Microsoft.com that lists the different features between Vista versions.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

14. OP
    OP
    neomatt

neomatt Member

http://www.ccpu.com.au/show_cat.php?cat_id=software

This doesn't say it comes with sp1... A lot of other PC sites specifically state it comes with it... Maybe this is an old version? Either way, Elyzion seems to think I won't have a problem, so I'll probably buy it with or without...

15. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Any retailer selling Vista should include the SP1 update pre-installed. If it doesn't contain SP1, it's simply old stock. Not that it matters. If it's not included, just install it afterwards.

16. Flux

Flux Member

Both my partner and I had no issues whatsoever installing service pack 1.

17. Kabal

Kabal Member

Remote desktop is the only worthwhile part of ultimate over premium IMO. Even then you can get around it by using VNC.

18. kreegor

kreegor Member

Or by getting Business edition. I bought business because it had remote desktop and Ultimate had too much crap I didn't need. The only thing about business is that there is no media centre..... but that is what my mythbox is for :)

19. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

This is a good thing. I never liked or used Media Center anyway!

20. kreegor

kreegor Member

Yeah I'm the same. Windows media player is all I need for music and videos :)