36 Month Phone Plans - Poll

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by mesaoz, Sep 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about 3 year long phone contracts?

1. I've gotta have the new thing, even if it means selling a kidney

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. I don't see what the big deal is...

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. No way in hell I'm committing to 3 years

38 vote(s)
    80.9%
  4. I feel warm and fuzzy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Candy

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Not sure if there's a thread for this already, but I just came across this yesterday - carriers offering 36 month contracts for handsets (iphone 11's)

This seems absurd to me, that someone would commit to the length of a typical car loan to have a phone they'll probably keep for 12 months?

How do you feel about it?

2. Zee

Zee Member

I saw that from my carrier yesterday.

Nope, not for me, I'm sure there will be many that do, though.

I'd rather wait a year or so, and pick up a good second hand unit at a significant saving. They are warranted for 2 years, so provided the phone looks clean and undamaged, it should be all good.

Z...

3. power

power Member

there is no limit to stupidity, i say make it a 5 year contract!

4. slavewone

slavewone Member

Plenty of people roll credit card debts into home loan restructures ... bring on the 30yr debt

5. OP
    OP
    mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I believe contracted phones are obligated to be covered by warranty for the duration of the contract too in Australia, so do iphones on these 3 year plans now have to carry a 3 year warranty too?

6. Hater

Hater Member

i dunno if your experiences are like most people, as i've had my phone 5 years now and am only now looking to replace it - do most people only keep a phone 12 months these days?

i believe the 2 year consumer law thingo Apple abides by was due to 24 month contracts, so I believe yes they might have to honour 36 months in this case... might need a court hearing though :S

7. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Serious?

Thats insane

8. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Also work provides my phones, currently on the XS Max which replaced an 8 Plus so I don't worry about this stuff however the thought of spending $1600+ (of my money) on a phone even if its spread over 3 years I just can't comprehend.

But then i guess people are spending $1000+ on handbags, so what would i know.

sir_bazz likes this.
  9. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Plenty of people keep there phones for 3-4 years though, look at the amount of people who still have iPhone 6/7/8s

Besides, I'm pretty sure all plans come with the 'new phone feeling' on Telstra now anyway, so you can upgrade if you have to.

ipv6ready likes this.
  10. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't understand why they need contracts at all. I feel it's just a way to have you "hooked" so they can treat you like dirt. If they're any good, you'll stay with them long-term. Why do they have to imprison you?

11. Radley

Radley Member

Wouldn't they have to provide a 3 year warranty as it's a 3 year contract?

I don't care one bit about having a phone on a contract, but 3 years is too long to have the same phone. I usually upgrade every 2 years which gives a good balance of new tech and cost.
    For people that don't want to for out huge amounts of cash for a phone. It's just as easy to spread the cost over time. It's not like I'm going to stop using a phone anytime soon so doesn't bother me.

That's some tin foil shit right there.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

No, it's not. If you can't go anywhere else, they don't have to bother if you don't get a decent service. Have you ever had to ring Telstra? The contempt, the dropping calls, the transfers upon transfers upon transfers don't just happen for no reason

13. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Can't say I've had to ring Telstra, their support is pretty shit, but their service is pretty bang on. :thumbup:

Of course they have to bother, what happens when your contracts up - you have the choice of going elsewhere if you don't like them.

14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

They'd better not ever call me again...

[​IMG]

JSmith

15. power

power Member

we don't see the sense anymore, rolling out Nokia devices now instead.

16. clonex

clonex Member

Hasnt vodafail or maybe virgin as well had this for a few years now?
    everyone else caught on? :D

Few weeks back getting fish n chips and while waiting for the food next to us there was a couple. The dude was going on about wanting the new iPhone pro and she said you cant afford it to which he replied "ill do it over 36 months.

Is the 24 month much cheaper than 36 months or is it just device price ÷ 36 months and maybe 10% on top for subsidised network service.

I think 36 months is awesome as locks people in for longer and ultimately apple/Samsung etc miss out unless folk break their phones :D

Phone on plan prices are stupidly exy i think considering i paid something like 65 bucks a month for a S8 at launch and now lucky to get latest version for under 100 bucks

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  17. OP
    OP
    mesaoz

mesaoz Member

The minimum cost is the same, just over a longer period. Handset payment is just spread out over a longer period

18. clonex

clonex Member

I dont see the issue then or is this that 36 months is seen as for poor folks only?

12 Month or GTFO

Skip to 2:20

19. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Lets just say you were to upgrade every 12 months through new phone feeling.

Wouldn't you be mad to go on the 24month plan which costs more per month, than the 36month plan?

20. clonex

clonex Member

Surely the new phone feeling charge would be higher on 36 month?