36 Month Phone Plans - Poll

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by mesaoz, Sep 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about 3 year long phone contracts?

1. I've gotta have the new thing, even if it means selling a kidney

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. I don't see what the big deal is...

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. No way in hell I'm committing to 3 years

38 vote(s)
    80.9%
  4. I feel warm and fuzzy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Candy

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

mesaoz likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Nope, you just can't use until later into the life of the plan

It's $150 in the final 12 months of the plan

edit: beaten to it

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

The issue I had with these plan in the past was "Higher" monthly connection fee. ie Sim only plans has $45 = Unlimited calls and 20GB vs contracted phone plans was $69 = Unlimited and 30Gb (not like for like but close enough) But I dont think that hold true anymore.

Iphone 256Gb Pro 11
    Telstra web price of the phone is the "same" as Apple retail price = $1,999
    $55.19 x 36 months = $1,986.84 (plus 12 months extra warranty I presume at least for the battery)
    $82.79 x 24 months = $1,986.84 (plus 12 months extra warranty I presume at least for the battery)

Now that the monthly plans are the same on BYO or contracted, the only consideration is, is being a post paid customer with Telstra important for whatever reason ie roaming or working in outback.

Telstra New Phone Feeling - for the upgrader
    "On a 24 or 36 month Device Payment Contract (DPC) within the final 12 months of a DPC when you return the current device undamaged and in good working order and pay the upgrade fee ($149). You won't need to pay out the remaining amount for your existing device. Available to eligible Telstra mobile or data plans."

36 months plan -> does not make sense (to me) as Im sure a well looked after iphone could be sold for more than $450 and if you can wait 25 months, likely one can wait 36 months.
    $55.19 x 25 months = $1,379.75 + $149 = $1,528.95

24 months plan -> For the person that wants to upgrade every year, it is marginal, depending how well it is looked after
    $82.79 x 13 months = $1,076.27 + $149 = $1,225.27
    Note from what I understand Telstra would be more leniant on assement compared to an OCAU buyer, ie would an OCAU buyer pay $1200 for a well used iphone with scratches plus tiny dings.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  4. clonex

clonex Member

Telstra wants you as a customer anyway possible

ipv6ready likes this.
  5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

There is that, but I was pricing in an estimate of privately selling the iphone and buying the next new iphone.

6. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Yeah ive only owned 2 smart phones, purchased 2013 and 2016. I managed a battery swap on my Note 5 without killing it so im sweet for another few years tho the N10 is tempting

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've gone with no way in hell. The phone plan market is too variable/flexible/dynamic etc for me to be locked into something so long. I hate even locking into a two year plan.

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

idiots gunna be idiots, so i dont see a big deal.
    all plans are for suckers or povos

sanjay likes this.
  9. nosunline

nosunline New Member

36 months certainly ain't my thing but all the major telcos are doing no-contract plans now. The way I see it it's a way to keep monthly costs down, and just pay out your phone cost interest free if you break it or something. Even Telstra don't prevent you from changing plans mid owning a phone.

But boy is there a difference between 'good for some people' and 'good for me'. I'd rather a good deal on outright any day.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I think there's probably not a great deal to be gained getting yourself into contracts these days.

11. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

The last contract I had was with telstra, and it was 2 years with a HTC Mozart. 6 months before that ended, I did the maths and realised that I would be better off paying out the contract and going onto prepaid (at the time, boost for $25 per month with unlimited calls and texts and 1gig).

Since then, I've only bought phones outright. Lumia 920 when it first landed in the country. 5 years later, Lumia 950XL (about 5 months after release). And only very recently a samsung note 10+.

As you can see, I keep my devices for quite some time, so financially I am far better off buying them outright and staying on prepaid (currently $20 per month unlimited calls/texts/6gig). With the samsung, total cost over 2 years will be $2080. The cheapest 2 years plan on optus only comes with 4gig and costs $2520.

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

36 month plans are a thing because iPhones got too expensive... since x/36 is smaller than x/24 it looks better in the marketing materials and means they can sell more units to more people.

Both Vodafone and Telstra no longer have "contracts", the BYO rate and contract rate is the same, just with a handset fee... you're free to leave anytime, just pay out the remaining handset cost.
    Optus effectively do the same thing, but fiddle the numbers with a higher plan cost and lower handset fee (which is "subsidised" by the higher plan...).

The short version is that the carriers are offering an interest free loan, assuming you are going to be using one of them and are happy with the monthly access charges it's not a bad way to manage cash flow, after all, you have the option to walk away (or just pay out) the handset at any time. The reality is that very few people will take up that option and most will simply be locked in for longer. Assuming the carriers aren’t making significant money on the handset anyway, what do they care if you upgrade or not… it will be interesting to see what happens in 24 months when lots of people still have 12 to go.

Personally I'm comfortable enough with 24 months knowing I have the option to either use the upgrade option at 12 months if I choose or just sell the phone privately and payout the remaining 50% (I’ve never used either), in either case I feel I like I have enough options available to me and like spreading the cost out while that cash sits in my offset account. Once upon a time I was on a yearly upgrade cycle when I would buy outright, the last two phones have been three years and two years, although these days there is also a hand-me-down scheme with the children.

Yes, you could just use a (much much) cheaper phone and a pre-paid SIM for half the cost which would probably do 95% of what I want (and 100% of what I really need), but then I like my iPhone and Apple Watch quite a lot and am comfortable spending what I have.

13. aokman

aokman Member

No way in hell, I buy all my phones outright now anyway, sick of paying over $100 a month for a phone plan.

14. clonex

clonex Member

ipads seem worth it on a plan or atleast did when i still looked at the latest pro at launch.

cost of plan is pretty much rrp of ipad ÷ 24 months but unsure if thats still the case and one gets data

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019 at 7:13 PM
  15. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

You know that the Samsung Note 10+ is very new and retails for $1700? It's not exactly a cheap phone...

16. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I think we have enough phones in the wild. We really don't need a new one every 2 years.
    I've never upgraded because I wanted the newest. I've only ever upgraded because the phone I had died on me (or stopped being able to be used for work - eg. Battery levels dropped and keep shutting down randomly).

Phones shouldn't be a status symbol and the longer the phone plan the better as it prevents the waste of the current phone for a nicer one.

Poll options are pretty lame.

17. clonex

clonex Member

wasteful society where it at

18. EclipZ

EclipZ Member

Any length contract is too expensive now due to all the great value sim only plans available.

19. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

The only reason I upgraded is because my Lumia 950xl just couldn't do what I needed it to do anymore.

Scarpetta likes this.