1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

3600 on b450 board with 3200 memory- tricks to cool stable-ness

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by datfreak, Feb 22, 2020.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

Just a quick word about my experience with the msi b450i board and 3600. I put in many hours trying different settings, so hopefully this thread may help someone else.
    A big thankyou to computer alliance, who flashed the board before sending it so the 3600 worked on the older board.

Problems I had were cpu heat at idle 50 degree and 95 load, and the system would not boot 30% of the time.

HEAT:
    On another thread here a user mentioned very hot ie 95 degree temps on their 3600 with the standard cooler, a few others, myself included also had the same issue.
    After trying many things over weeks what worked for me was:
    1/ Turn off precision boost overdrive
    2/ In overclocking set 4.1 to all 6 cores.
    3/ Set max cpu voltage to 1.25v
    4/ In windows power settings dont use the Ryzen settings. I use the "high performance" standard settings.

I did also buy and new cooler -a $39 Jonsbo low profile. This reduced the load temps from 95 to 85 degrees.
    I'm not sure if I'd recommend that cooler tho as the included RGB fan looks pretty but is useless AF- I replaced it with a old coolmaster case fan and the temp. Its ok if you need a low profile cooler and have a spare quality fan.
    With the above settings temps are now 42 (prev 50+) at idle and 70(prev 95)on load when benchtesting. Gaming is about 65.Benchmarks are 1-2 seconds faster also.
    So cpu cooler dropped 10 degrees, and news settings dropped about 15 degrees - 25 total.

The other problem, not booting 30% of the time.
    Hit the power button, power light would go on, fan would spin but nothing else.Cycle PSU and then it would boot up normally.
    I was suspecting a problem board but ended up being a ddr4 issue. Tried xpm profiles and extra dimm voltage with no luck.

Solved with using MSI bios "memory try it" - the highest my mem can use is 2800 c14. Any fastest freq brings back the no-boot issue.
    This is with corsair lxp 32gb(16x2) c16 kit.
    I'm disappointed that I cant run it at 3200 but the timings help the benchmarks to be close.
    No more boot problems since this.

hope this helps someone. cheers

edit: June 2020

The new(12-6-2020) b450i bios seems to have fixed the ram issue - been running a few days without a issue at 3200 speed ram.
    The update is 6 months late but so far so good.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 7:39 PM
  2. d-Z1R3

d-Z1R3 Member

the new standard coolers have lost the copper slug to my knowledge, they are ok for a mild OC but you'll find your going to run out of head room very quickly. Would recommend a decent cooler such as a Coolermaster 212 Evo.

I would also look into case air flow, mother board model and psu.

3. bobster

bobster Member

I have Asus B450i with R5 3600 and 3466Mhz Ram, i'm pretty disappointed with the idle temps and load temps, either its a design issue with 7nm or Asus has terrible BIOS, I have gigabyte B450i running 3400G and that runs perfectly.

If im bored this weekend i may swap the 3600 into Gigabyte to see how it runs

4. 335 GT

335 GT Member

What are your temps?
    My 3700x idles at 40 doing nothing. 50 doing background stuff while on the desktop. Never hits 70 while gaming/general tasks and just tips 80 during a hard prime95 stress test.

7nm ramps extremely quickly when a load is applied.

Your fan curves might need to be set manually, particularly on the older boards.

5. bobster

bobster Member

120mm AIO 45 idle, 55/60 web and netflix, 70's gaming. My 9600K ran cooler than this on hyper 212

6. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Sounds about right for a 120mm AIO, they get the job done but that's about it....

335 GT likes this.
  7. malamute

malamute Member

It says in the specs that 3600 is 65w, but it isn't. I find it pulls 88w stock. My previous 3200g was much closer to 65w and ran cooler.
    But my MSI b450i bios has a very easy way of setting max tdp to actually be 65w for a big help in cooling, without much loss in performance as far as I can see. Give it a go.

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

My mate has the B450-I Strix and 3600X, with the CPU and GTX 980 on a single 120mm radiator the CPU is around 40C idle and 75C load during games.

I have the same board with a 3900X but I'm having issues with my cooling setup I believe the block is gunked up :p

9. s4Rg3

s4Rg3 Member

Hey dude, did you have any luck getting the 3200 to run at stock speeds?

My 3200 8x2 C16 does not like 3200 at C16, it will boot at c18 but BSOD's quickly after. 1.4v still nothing. have to run at C22 if I want it to be stable ;\.

3600x, x570 ASrock steel legend.
    I thought I was doing something completely wrong if I couldn't even get it to boot at stock speed and timings.

10. malamute

malamute Member

I had similar issues with corsair vengeance lpx 8x2, can't run it at 3200 c16 (stock xmp profile) without it failing to boot 1/5 times. This is with ryzen 3600 and msi b450i. I think it's just the memory is poor compared with others, I have Crucial Ballistix sport Lt 8x2 in another pc that is rated at the same 3200 c16, but I can run that at 3600 c16 stable with one click just using msi memory try it.

11. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Hmm I had a few boot issues with a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 with XMP set combined with a 3600 & Gigabyte GA-X570 Aorus Elite.

Did settle down after a few tweaks and wasn't as bad when I went above 3200. Might be something here.

I was considering moving to a 32 gig kit of the LPX corsiar's

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  12. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

Nope. Still running 2800 c14. I tested different settings for hours inc higher ddr volts but the random no boot problem always returned. On benchmarks 2800c14 was very close to 3200c16 performance so no big loss.
    I thought it might be a limitation of the b450 - it sucks that you have a x570 and still have issue.

I was hoping MSI would bring out a new BIOS for the b450i, so I could try again, but the last one released was 2019-11-12.:rolleyes:

13. luke o

luke o Member

I just picked up the Asus Strix B450i, the 3700x, and 32GB of 3600mhz C16 Gskill Neo. Took a little bit of dialing in today but got there in the end, that XMP (DOCP) function is tricky to find the BIOS! Finally got it happy with that at 1.36v at C16. Not overclocking CPU yet, still waiting on new case so stock cooler. Runs about 85C under Prime95 full load which seems fine. I did grab the latest BIOS too.

My steps to getting it stable (so far whole day online playing games, watching videos, running memtest, prime etc.)

1. Thaiphoon Burner (free version), read out XMP profile and full export to HTML
    2. DRAM calculator for Ryzen 1.7, load in the HTML file and
    3. Took screnshots of the main and advanced tabs and sent them to my phone
    4. Rebooted set the DOCP (XMP) RAM profile, had to tweak the voltages to suggested levels by the tool, the timings were all pretty much fine.
    5. Ryzen master I used to then set coupled mode to ON, and matched the infinity fabric to the ram speed (1800mhz doubled)
    6. So far my 'golden core' hits 4360mhz which is just shy of the 4.4ghz on the tin so I'm pretty happy.
    7. Oh and last thing I tweak was some manual fan profiles in MSI afterburner for my 5700XT

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

p.s if you have Radeon card try disable hardware acceleration in the web browser if you are having stability issues playing YouTube etc.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  14. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I'm also having issues getting my RAM (LPX 8x2 3200 C16) to run at rated speeds on B450. Boot loop then defaults back to default speeds every time. Hell it won't even run at 2933. 1.4v doesn't help either. Latest BIOS also no help.

This happens whether I use XMP or manually set frequency and voltage. A bit of Googling suggests it's a common issue with Corsair 16gb kits and B450 chipsets. It's clearly a compatibility issue.

I'm thinking of switching to Kingston or G.skill.

15. luke o

luke o Member

So I had a few issues using Ryzen Master and trying to manually tighten some RAM timings in BIOS. I've determined the Asus Strix B450-I basically has schizophrenia, it's like two separate developer teams worked on the same settings and then they came together at the last minute and tried to weld them together.

You can set DRAM timings and voltages in two places "AI Tweaker" and "Advanced --> AMD Overclocking --> DRAM Settings".

AI Tweaker:

Click to view full size!

You can set your timings manually here:

Click to view full size!

Advanced --> AMD Overclocking:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

You can change this from Auto to Manual:

Click to view full size!

And set timings this way, with slightly funky options 'h' here and there plus some drop downs are just flat out missing options that are present in AI Tweaker:

Click to view full size!

Now the cool thing is if you set the Advanced option to anything other than 2133mhz clock it will fail to boot. Ryzen Master if you manually input your memory timings and save them it will prompt you to reboot, can you guess which settings in BIOS Ryzen Master updates? Yes that's right the advanced area ones not the AI Tweaker ones.

Even better you have to go into the "Advanced" area and disable the overclocking there before the "AI Tweaker" settings will take effect, otherwise they just get ignored and the board uses what is set under "Advanced". Drove me nuts for a good hour before I figured out what the heck was going on.

M1ck1 likes this.
  16. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I've had my Asus X470 for a while now and remember updating the bios and then relising their were two lots of settings but my ram OC is done in AI tweaker never in AMD OC and PBO is broken just waiting for another bios update to see if it fixes it

17. Wilco33

Wilco33 Member

YES!!!
    I have the same board but with a 3600, and after a while I just gave up.
    Thanks for the insight, I will try your method.

18. luke o

luke o Member

One other tidbit for you williamgoh I was tearing my hair out with the ASUS Profile Save/Load not working properly in BIOS. I'd save my cool custom RAM timings in Profile 1, and reload them on a failed overclock attempt only to be greeted by a black screen and no boot. Would need to do a BIOS reset and re-input my custom timings. Annoying!

I discovered a 3200mhz + RAM fresh boot issue, easy to replicate. Basically if you load the saved profile in BIOS and the memory speed is equal to or faster than 3200mhz the system won't boot. If you load the saved profile, set the frequent to 2133mhz save and reboot it will work! Then just go into BIOS and set it to 3600mhz or whatever you want, your custom timings are restored and away you go again. Made my testing RAM settings much easier.

19. Wilco33

Wilco33 Member

geeezzz...did we buy the wrong board or what...

20. luke o

luke o Member

Haha yeh tad annoying man, I've pinged Asus, I develop software for living no way this bios should ever have gone to production!