1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

3600 on b450 board with 3200 memory- tricks to cool stable-ness

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by datfreak, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Rod M

Rod M Member

Do I have the same problem as you guys?

Just upgraded from a 1700 to 3600 on a AsRock B350 Gaming K4 and I have 3200 Gskill Flare B-die,

Ram defaulted to 2400 once I did the changeover and it worked fine,

But tried to apply XMP profile at 3200 and I started to get random reboots and instability,

It was perfectly stable with the 1700 at 3200,

And i flashed the bios a week ago in anticipation of the CPU upgrade and that was also stable while it still had the 1700,

2. luke o

luke o Member

Rod M go back to the first page of this thread, give my steps a crack with the Thaiphoon and DRAM calc software. Ryzen 3000 probably a tad more sensitive to timings and voltages and I assume running a much higher FCLK on the B350 chipset is a strain as well.

I'd check DRAM voltage is high enough, play with the timings a little, can go for the 'safe' settings first loosen things a bit and see if you can get 3200 stable and then try tighten a bit.

3. Rod M

Rod M Member

ok tried it, and it is still crashing a minute or so after loading windows :(

I also bumped up the voltage a few times all the way up to 1.43 and still not help (I think it got quicker to crash at higher voltages)

this is Thaiphoon:

upload_2020-5-30_21-52-9.png
    and this is Dram calculator "Safe preset"

upload_2020-5-30_21-53-2.png

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

There's still a lot of Ryzen memory weirdness around... though much better before..

A dug out my old Asus C6H to test out.. how far I could push some ram.. pretty much got to 4000mhz with two different sets of b-die.
    Dug out a different 3rd set and couldn't get it to post at all .... even at defaults.. gave up.. wasting my time..

Basically concluded tweaking Ryzen stuff, usually requires lots of spares / lots of time and lots of luck!!!

Wasting many months for the bios(es) to mature usually helps...

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. Rod M

Rod M Member

I don't know, my 1700 was 100% stable with this Ram at 3200,

6. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Id try a higher ProcODT , maybe 58 / 60ohm. 14-14-14-14-32-45 and tRFC at 312 Gear down disabled 1.35v for 3200mhz.

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

Or maybe slacken the timings a little to get the freq up, then tighten timings until it crashes, then slacken off to the last known good settings

8. Rod M

Rod M Member

I am not experienced with stuffing around with memory timings so i am worried i will stuff something completely :(

I dropped the XMP profile to 3000mhz with same timings at 1.35v and set the FCLK to 1500,

it looks stable, for now,

upload_2020-5-31_12-59-44.png

9. dexx

dexx Member

Whats a typical overclock speed to expect on a 3600? Without extreme voltages, temperatures, or cooling?

10. Maniacal

Maniacal Member

I have my 3600 running at 4.5ghz at 1.25v under a Kraken X53, still pushing and testing so not sure how high it would go at 1.4v. Temps go just over 50c in Prime95 but normal usage is 25-30c. I can drop the voltage a bit and go to 4.4ghz and it won't go over 50c when tortured. I think the open Thermaltake P90 case helps a bit.

I have issues with my RAM also though can't squeeze anything out of it, will try some suggestions in here though.

11. luke o

luke o Member

ASUS B450 man, annoying issue thought I'd post it here in case it happens to anyone. AI Suite recommended the 1004 BIOS update which was fine, did that, played around with some other options after a successful flash in BIOS ended up having to load my profile again after a BIOS clear/reset. No big deal done that a hundred times, but this time was different, blue screen TDR VIDEO FAILURE every 10 minutes. Drove me mad.

Everything online points to bad graphics drivers, talks about replacing the AMDKMPAG/DAG.SYS files etc. Not my issue, under Advanced Chipset/CMOS options all my PCIE Link Speeds were set to AUTO, low and behold I now have a PCIE GEN4 option as the first option which the god damn board was defaulting to and causing crashes. Manually setting them all to PCIE GEN3 fixed my crashes. B450 isn't supposed to have PCIE GEN4. ASUS quality control out the door...

12. luke o

luke o Member

Negative no riser, b450 isn't supposed to support gen4 pcie. Bios definitely has a few kinks...

13. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

The new(12-6-2020) b450i bios seems to have fixed the ram issue - been running a few days without a issue at 3200 speed ram.
    The update is 6 months late but so far so good.

14. vitagen

vitagen Member

I've managed my 3600 @ 4.45ghz at 1.3v stable

But with all ryzens it has a pretty high idle, 45-50 degrees. ~60 degs on witcher 3 and 88 degrees full stress test on p95.

15. luke o

luke o Member

Thought I'd post an update, the latest BIOS update for this board brings it to the point where I'd say it's production ready. Finally if you fail at overclocking/ram timings whatever you don't have to manually reset the BIOS with a screwdriver! The auto fail count setting works and board automatically reverts to defaults. Profile loading is improved, no longer have to accept BIOS EULA for AMD Overclocking at every BIOS rest for Ryzen Master to work in Windows (otherwise it says overlclocking is disabled in BIOS).

Feels like a real computer now! Has the same features and functionality my old 4790k had! :)