360mm Rad in an Armor+ Updated pics pg2

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Alba, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Alba

Alba Member

I had a 240mm rad in the bottom of the case and while that worked well, I wanted better performance but wanted to keep the rad in the case. The Armor+ has pre fabbed holes for watercooling on the bottom and on the rear of the case and I was considering the one on the bottom as I don't want the rad to be seen. Then I thought there has to be a better way and I started looking inside the case to where it would fit and still look good and I think I found it.
    It's a tight squeeze but it fits, works well and I managed to hide most of the gear.

List of parts I had to work with:
    1 x Alphacool NexXxos Xtreme Pro III Rev.2- overall size 415x45x120
    1 x Thermochill PA120.3- overall size 427x59x126
    1 x Swiftech MC655
    1 x Swiftech Micro res
    5m 1/2 tubing
    7 x CM 120mm red LED fans
    4L Nulon Red
    plus fittings, barbs etc..

To start I removed all the WC gear, HDD cage and looked for a spot.
    Notice the tube at the bottom. Looked at sitting the rad upright between the mobo and HDD cage/3.5" drive. Took measurments inc fans and rad to make sure there was room.

[​IMG]

A closer look. Put a peice of foam down for the rad to rest on so it doesn't get scratched or make any vibration. At the front of the case there is a cable management hole, so the idea was to run the tube out through there and up along the front of the case.

[​IMG]

Rad in to test for clearance and cut the tube to length for that bottom section. I used the Alphacool rad coz it's thiner and it's only runs a couple deg warmer than the TC. There are 3 fans pushing and 2 pulling, there's no fan in the middle as the video card is in the way and the fan wont fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went to bunnings and got 2 x 90deg 1/2" elbows. Masked up and painted the fan area black as it can be seen through the front facia.

[​IMG]

Tube fitted and tied down.

[​IMG]

Here you can see where the pump resides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just enough room here for the res, velcro on the bottom to keep it in place.

[​IMG]

Cpu block and tube fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Facia back on

[​IMG][​IMG]

All tube connected and ready for coolant.

[​IMG]

Close up of the rad barbs with coolant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done with coolant flowing. Using another PSU to run the pump to bleed the system and make sure there are no leaks before powering the pc on. Might take that radeon sticker off the fans, now that I look at it, it looks dodgy. I put the 2 x 120mm AC fans at the bottom, not just to keep the vid card cooler but to fill the space up a little as it looked bare.

[​IMG]

PC is up and running now with great temps and I like the way it turned out. Hiding all or most of the tube is what I wanted to keep the look as clean and clutter free as possible.

Took about 8-10 hours to do this from start to finish.

What do you's think?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. OPM881

OPM881 Member

um... wow... just wow...... Wouldnt think that it would work well because there isnt a way for the hot air to escape from the case due to the raditor having mobo on one side, and optical/hdds ont he other. What sort of temps are you getting underload?

3. OP
    OP
    Alba

Alba Member

Temps are good, just did a quick prime95 to check and max it hit was 54c @ 3.9GHz

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Awesome job there, can you do one for me too ?

:D

5. rockit711

rockit711 Member

are those temps witht the sides on? or do you never put the sides on? just curious abotu how well its actually working..

6. OP
    OP
    Alba

Alba Member

That's with the sides on, it works very well. There's a 120mm fan where the pump is and the stock 140mm fan at the bottom in front of the HDD cage, so there's plenty of air going in to keep things cool.

7. FRaNTiC

FRaNTiC Member

+1 for me too!

Excellent work there :)

8. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

How much bigger is the armour+ then the normal armour?
    Because i canno't imagine a rad and fans of almost any kind fitting in a position like that in my normal armour.

9. phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

That's an awesome effort!

10. OP
    OP
    Alba

Alba Member

Thanks guys:thumbup:

Pretty sure internaly it's the same size. I have a Soprano FX which is the same as the Armor size and layout wise iirc. The problem with it though is that the HDD cage sits north south. If you only have 1, 2 or 3 HDD's then you can mount them in the rear cage(armor should have one there coz my FX does) and only use 1 optical drive in the front, that way there is heaps of room to mount a 360mm rad and you can even put the pump in behind the rad so it cant be seen.

Just to help you out, I put my TC PA120.3 in the FX so you can see where it would fit. Makes me want to WC that pc now:tongue:

Pretty sure the original Armor has the same layout.

[​IMG]

11. Covert_operatoR

Covert_operatoR Member

Thats freaking AWESOME. I've got an armor+ too and was hoping to add another few radiators into it (currently just have a 240mm running at the bottom).

Just curious, do you believe theres space for a 240mm up top in front of the PSU? theres some bolt holes there which are good for a 140mm or 120mm fan.

Also, how did you secure the rad in that position?

12. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Awesome job looks nice and I like how the tubes are hidden makes it look nice and clean.

13. OP
    OP
    Alba

Alba Member

There is enough room for a 240 up top as long as your PSU in not a long one, and even if it is, you can slide the rad into the top 1 or 2 3.5" bays and have your optical drives lower down.

And thanks

Cheers mate

14. Spork!

Spork! Member

makes me think I might w/c my new comp when it's up and running, don't want tubes and radiators on the outside, you just showed how well it can be done.
    My case may be a little smaller, but I'm sure a 36x12 rad would fit - somewhere...

15. hello_goodbye

hello_goodbye New Member

You're a smart cookie indeed!:D

16. Aitchy

Aitchy Member

Hmmmm, push-pull fans on the Rad too ....noice :thumbup:

Btw, is that CPU (first pic) lapped?

17. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Damn man that looks pretty damn nice :)

Very neat!

18. master.Cuong

master.Cuong Member

that is freakishly hot and awesome mate nice job :thumbup:

19. banny:316

banny:316 Member

ill pay for it 2 ....

im not to happy with my BigWater 720 LC

20. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

damn very nice work, you should send some pics to ThermalTake so they can make a kit for the retail armor cases's lol.