1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

3700X Temp Spikes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Hi All,
    So just threw a 3700X in in place of the old 2600 (both used prism cooler) and it boosts and spikes temps at the drop of a hat which is really annoying as far as fan noise. Understanding it's a different CPU I could run a fairly easy fan curve on the 2600 and would only ramp up in games, encoding etc. This thing jumps from 42-62C in the space of 2 seconds opening a browser then returns to baseline. Under constant load it's more predictable and actually cools itself reasonably well. I was happy with the Prism but might have to invest in a bette cooler as the noise is farking annoying and I don't want my "idle" fan speed to be high all the time as I like my peace. Anyone else had similar experience on this CPU?

2. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

OK I think I can see part of the problem. At "idle" in windows ticking along at 1-2% load with me doing nothing it's staying boosted up around 4.00Ghz so there is fuck all headroom. Idlle temps bob from 40 up to 50+. Gonna reinstall drivers and maybe install and play with Ryzenmaster.

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Reset bios to defaults and make sure cool'n'quiet is enabled.

Also increase the time on your fan ramp us as spikes are unavoidable when you have so many cores packed into a small space.

4. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Cheers, Yeah I slowed the ramping as much as possible before which did help. CNQ is definitely on and now I'm looking in Ryzen master not HW Monitor the idle temps seems more realistic (and closer to BIOS) around 35C.

The temp has dropped in the room a bit now but I suspect the new chipset drivers may have helped. I also switched it to windows balanced profile and back to AMD balanced which may have triggered something.

if it's on 35C and I just open 10X programs in quick succession it spikes to say 45 then promptly comes back which is what I'd expect. Before it was hovering around 45 then going to 62-65+ opening one app then 52 then 45 then 55, bananas. Shouldn;t see 20C spikes on a mouse click unless the cooler is just absolute shit. Even then it's odd.

I just loaded Prime 95 and it's boosted to 4260Mhz and hasn't cracked 60C yet in the first few mins.

Made it to 70, fan boosted as per my curve, came back under. All seems to be operating more normally now. Fingers crossed was drivers.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Load this bad boy up https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html

6. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah this got me when I first moved over to ryzen. Even on a 240 AIO I would get 50-55c spikes doing nothing and the fans would ramp up to try and catch it which led to constant annoying fan surges which were more of an issue than the temp spikes.

On light loads the default boost the board was throwing at the chip would see a couple of cores being fed 1.4+v in an instant to hit max boost clocks where as heavier loads would settle to a lower voltage figure which resulted in similar load temps to the initial spikes. A few things you can do to combat this;

1. Use good fan control software like argus monitor to smooth out the fan ramping so it can effectively ignore quick small spikes that last 1-2 secs to stop fans ramping up and down constantly.

2. Try a different power plan - like the 1usmus one mesaoz posted.

3. Use a negative voltage offset in the bios. For me I was able to apply -0.05v (iirc) without it affecting performance. Temperatures still spike but to a lesser extent.

4. Throw the factory boosting out of the window and apply a fixed OC. 1usmus has another tool for this called CTR. I now run a full core OC of 4.32ghz at 1.3v and have no temperature spikes to speak of. The chip behaves in the conventional manner I am used to. Full load temps are still under 70c and although it is set to slightly under the max boost clock the gaming clocks beforehand usually settled to ~4.27 so this was a boost all round.

8. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Awesome thanks guys. Will tinker over the weekend. Never had the phenomenon with the 2600 but just the 2 less cores and the Prism must have been enough to stop it ever doing that momentary trigger. It's better now but will still tweak the power profile and the fan curves. As you say jjjc_93 the temps spikes aren't a problem, the return within seconds it's just the annoying fan chasing.

9. dasa2

dasa2 Member

It is more the die shrink and chiplet design allowing for quicker heat saturation of the cores vs the 2600 which was a larger chip with IMC and everything rolled into one.
    BIOS seem to be badly configured not allowing for these spikes in core temp while the HSF is still cool.
    The advice above should take care of it but it is unfortunate that some of these things are not the default.

10. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

With the custom power profile did you guys disable PBO in BIOS or set PPT/TDC/EDC limits? Info seems conflicting.

Thanks again for the help.

11. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Thanks for all the help guys. In essence because the 2600 was more forgiving I had the fan curve really really tight built for silence (running as low as 25% at idle temps). In reality I can't hear the Prism at 40% or below over other case fans, at the case distance so have set 40% up to say 55C (although it's generally hovering at 35C) then only ramps up to say 60% once I get over 55C (which may need tweaking but should be about right for "gaming load" setting), then a sharper turn if it gets up around 70C. Basically I have set 3 blocks (idle,gaming,encoding/stress) rather than trying to have this fine smooth curve I did on the 2600. The ramping in the BIOS seems to be enough (max 0.7s up and 1s down) but if not I'll use the software mentioned above and stretch the ramps.

If it still gives me the shits long term I'll throw a tower cooler with a low RPM fan on it. Prism is the first stock cooler I have used in about 15 years and is pretty decent but good aftermarket pays for itself. Have an original Hyper 212 still chugging away in the server.

P.S. Can this thing burn through the X264 encoding. Beast.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  12. Skramit

Skramit Member

WHat voltage are you running it at?

My 3700X Ive undervolted to 1.18v at 4100mhz all cores using 1usmus tuner tool and it runs at 33C idle to 56C load (cinebench). This is on air BTW.

I found the stock voltage on my Asus MB was around 1.4v or something spastic like that, so often when idle my CPU was hovering between 55c idle and 70C for just gaming.

So be curious wehat voltages your MB has as "default" as that will be playing a huge part in your CPU temps. The spiking you were seeing will be because the MB "auto" voltage will be spiking massively when it thinks it needs to, but will probably be way overkill.

Give the auto clock tuner tool a go: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-for-ryzen-ctr-guide-download,1.html

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    nCrypt likes this.
  13. Coolio

Coolio Member

14. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

abnout the same for my 3700x with the stock cooler, on stock settings with B450 STRIX ITX.

idles a little higher, 38-40 degrees, but never went over 55-59 in games, ambient temp depending.

Since put it under water, now dont see much past 40 in games :D

15. ozz

ozz Member

id also be checking the thermal paste is a good spread, you cant expect much from the stock cooler either, id be putting something decent on it ASAP and watch temps drop

16. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Yeah paste and mount is 100%. Been doing that a while and the retention mechanism is hard not to get right on these. Im old so was around in the Athlon XP days, now those were dangerous to get right.

Temps at idle and under constant load are actually pretty good. 30-35c idle and 68-70 under full x264/x265 encoding load (less when gaming) with 65% fan speed. The Prism is actally a pretty effective stock cooler but does get loud at the top end up over 70% rpm. The old school down firing also helps with vrm and ram cooling. A Dark Rock Pro 4 will obviously perform better and quieter overall but I think they key here was power management and a mainly fan smoothing. As a few have mentioned these chips have momentary voltage bursts and temp jumps to 60c for 2 seconds won't hurt but if the fan chases it's annoying. Changed by banding and ramping and it's pretty much become a non issue. Might still get an aftermarket cooler at some point though to change things up. This is the first stock cooler I have used in a loooooong time (well before using on my 2600 that is)

17. ozz

ozz Member

ah cool, good to hear, yeah a good after market cooler will do you proud, get a direct contact one tho where the heatpipes actually contact the cpu itself, a lot of coolers dont , the have a plate over the heatsink pipes, direct is far better for cooling affects

Deus_Ex_Machina likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member