1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

3770k / Z77 UD3H OC

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by dinkleton, Jul 7, 2018.

1. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Hey guys,

I'm trying to squeeze a bit more out of my Ivy Bridge 3770k and G.Skill 1600 DDR3 before I upgrade.

If I bump up the multi to say, 40 as opposed 35, I can run stable at 4.0ghz, I can even bump it up to 4.2 using the multi.

As soon as I increase the CPU frequency, even just a tiny bit, the PC doesn't boot. My guess is the RAM doesn't like the jump in CPU frequency, but I'm no expert. I thought the G.Skill modules were fairly good overclockers.

It's not a heat issue or anything, if it was then surely it would boot long enough for the heat issue to arise? Is there something I am missing?

2. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Not sure what your saying here mate. You state you can bump the multi up to 42 without a problem, then state as soon as you increase the cpu frequency ? Bumping the multi IS increasing the cpu frequency....

Or do you mean the frontside bus ? It's not the ram that's an issue if your just increasing the multi on the cpu, as the ram speed doesn't change.

You can't really mess with the FSB on newer platforms like this for overclocking. You need to change the Multi & Ram frequencies individually. Not bumping the FSB.

3. Esposch

Esposch Member

Are you touching the voltage at all? Each CPU will have a safe rated voltage specced by Intel that is usually higher than stock.

4. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Sorry wrong choice of words! I can't even understand what I was trying to say haha.

I meant the base clock, which is default 100mhz. Should I not touch this? Just increase the multi? As I said, I can get it to 4.2 by increasing the multi to 42 and not touching anything else, anything beyond that and it doesn't boot. I would also like to overclock the RAM if possible - trying to do this results in not booting as well - it goes into a constant on/off power cycle. So I guess my questions are:

- How would I go about getting more out of the CPU? Is this where I need to start looking at voltage?
    - How do I OC my RAM? It won't let me change anything - if I reduce the CAS timing, it doesn't boot. If I increase the RAM speed, same thing. etc.

5. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Ya, you can't really overclock using the base clock on this platform.

Just increase your multiplier & select your ram speed then your set. Start looking at voltages when your cpu becomes unstable.

6. Esposch

Esposch Member

Increasing base clock by more than a couple of % will make modern Intel CPUs go unstable.
    Just play with the multipliers.

You'll need to up the voltage a bit to start getting max performance, but heat could then become an issue. Unless you go way overboard, the CPU should not fry. It may reduce its clock speed when it gets too high, though, meaning that your "overclock" is actually worse than stock performance during heavy loads. Bump up voltage a little bit at a time and only when needed. Don't exceed the safe max for your CPU.

Don't touch the RAM. Except in specific instances (systems with iGPUs and database servers being two of the most common cases), you can expect a performance gain of roughly 2% for a 50% increase in RAM speed.

7. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Ahh good to know re RAM. Thanks for the info guys I will have a play :)

8. Esposch

Esposch Member

Cool. Let us know how you go. :)

9. panzerd18

panzerd18 Member

Hi dinkleton,

I have the same CPU i7 3770k and Ram Gskill 1600mhz CL7.

Recently tried overclocking as I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 8700k or similar.

I found the ram went to 2400mhz CL10. Voltage stock at 1.5v.

Also I didn't adjust the multiplier, I just played with the turbo boost settings and have found the following.

Turbo 1 Core - 4400mhz
    Turbo 2 Core - 4300mhz
    Turbo 3 Core - 4200mhz
    Turbo 4 Core - 4100mhz

Vcore 1.3v

As I just adjusted the turbo boost, in idle load conditions, the CPU with throttle down to 1600mhz and reduce voltage which is great for energy saving.

At the moment I'm just messing around, but would like to run some benchmarks to see the performance difference.

10. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Hi Panzerd,

That's quite a large OC on the RAM isn't it? Mine doesn't budge at all, as soon as I increase the RAM multi at stock voltage it goes into a power cycle loop, I'm scared of increasing voltage on RAM so not going to bother with it given such minor performance difference.

Turbo clocks are a good way to go about it, makes complete sense. I've got mine now on 42/42/41/40 at stock voltage, CPU goes up to around 80 degrees under load now, I don't think I will push it any higher than that.

11. Melkor1337

Melkor1337 Member

Okay so you should really be able to clock up to 42x with stock vcore, perhaps set it at 1.2 and try, mine has no issues doing 43x@1.15v or something silly, but I think I got a good chip.

Also I like to set all your multi the same, just 42 across the board, leave all your powersaving features on so it only boosts to 4200mhz when needed, manually set your vcore, rather than auto.