$379 KOGAN 27" CURVED QHD 144HZ 1440P FREESYNC *G-Sync now working

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by 2_stroke, May 31, 2019.

1. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

I'm editing this so other will have updates about this monitor and my experience.

Just grabbed one of these today https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-27-curved-qhd-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor-2560-x-1440/ .

Now this monitor is the same as the viotek gn27d for all purposes, it is a samsung c27jg50 though it offers freesync and has a custom firmware. I paid $399 in total though kogan do have a free shipping code as of the 27/5/19 it is SHIPFREE , so that will save you $20 so its now $379 :)

I am no crazy monitor reviewer so please check out the youtube reviews and links i find. As of tonight i found out freesync wasn't on by default, you have to enable in monitor settings. Guess what G-sync now works and the demo appears fault less atm though more testing will be done to save you guys some $'s for those using nvidia GPU's. Just ask for a test and i will do my best to run it and get back to you.

So far my findings and thoughts are
    Pros:
    Zero dead or stuck pixels
    144Hz of Goodness
    Nice curve that works for the size (was strange a tad going from flat to curve at first)
    Great size for gaming being 27"
    1440P just works mint for gaming and a rtx 2070 and is the sweet spot for 144hz
    Freesync and G-sync work fine as of first testing, I cant afford a real G-sync monitor
    Great color and found an icc profile to work with
    Theres a gaming target in the OSD lol better hip shots 2 styles 2 colors
    Runs cool cant feel any heat off it atm
    Feels Crisp and has a lot of profiles for most sitiautions
    Can feed Included Display Port cable and power through stand to neaten it up
    DP cable included and power, no free hdmi cable for PS4, XBOX.
    Vesa mount supported
    The price $379 for thoughs who want something good without breaking the bank giving up name
    It's a samsung c27jg50 with added freesync and "g-sync support so far" built for gaming

Cons:
    The Stand, feels/looks like a fucking spell book holder not my liking
    The buttons thankgod if you have to use them, the pressure to get the to click nearly lifts your monitor
    ^You only should only need to use the buttons very few times once color is set to your liking
    Freesync has to be set to on in the OSD its off by default Why???????
    The OSD but hey it works and basic well yer cuts have to be made, no eye candy.
    The sound is way to tiny and soft, just shit for console xbox ps4 users without head phones
    Looks its sturdy but hell i wouldn't wanna see it take a fall off a desk
    Color and brightness default settings not to my liking had to adjust

Enable freesync and gsync pics. Monitor will go off and on once Freesync is enabled using the OSD its not on by default. Next G-sync will appear in nvidia's option table and set as i have and apply.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

And a Pic of the G-Sync demo in action on mine

Click to view full size!

Fallout will test some more appears perfect

Click to view full size!

League of legends test but lol it doesnt go below 144fps so not really tested but working enabled

Click to view full size!

Bf5 single player 1440p 144hz

Click to view full size!

Rainbow 6 Seige

Click to view full size!

My System config
    i5 8600k on a z370 running win 10 x64
    Nvidia driver version 430.86
    RTX 2070 connect via included DP port cable

Samsung icc profile in attached file which can be used for monitor driver

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

3. OP
    OP
    2_stroke

2_stroke Member

4. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Curious to see results and feedback for the monitor.

5. OP
    OP
    2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Me to look it’s a dam cheap monitor for the price, if it lives up to it’s specs and works with gsync I’ll be happy as hell. Will post back results for others and what else I can dig up, says it will be sent out on the 3rd of June. I’ll grab a display port cable this weekend which is needed for gsync so it’s ready to go. I will see if there is a display driver about for icc profile ect also.

Its sold under the name VIOTEK GN27D 27" also. Some reviews on newegg look really positive with adaptive sync working perfect with nvidia drivers and gsync. https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824736004?reviews=all The model was also sold at walmart. There is a thread on whirlpool also but with next to no info, looks like it comes with a DP cable also

After much searching around its seems to be a B grade Samsung C27JG50 hopefully i can use the icn profile will test also extracted from the download at https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LC27JG50QQUXEN/ using winrar.
    :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    DangerMaus likes this.
  6. nope

nope Member

Yall keep saying muh b grade but mine hasnt had a single issue no flashing or other weird stuff no dead pixels

7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It's in reference to using a Samsung panel that didn't meet Samsung's QA testing I guess. Speaking of which the Samsung monitor that seems to use the same panel can be found cheaper than this one with current EOFY sales.

8. OP
    OP
    2_stroke

2_stroke Member

That sums it up, most people have 1 dead/stuck pixel and there pixel policy is 2 max this is from reviews.
    https://help.kogan.com/hc/en-us/art...or-LED-TVs-Monitors-and-Digital-Photo-Frames-

9. nope

nope Member

i cant see anything wrong with mine tho even freesync works perfectly

10. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I have the same monitor. I didn't go through Kogan however, I got it through Alibaba (where Kogan source their monitors). Exactly the same design, minus the Kogan logo on the front. I just successfully installed the Samsung drivers, so thankyou for that link. I have had issues with G-Sync. Tried the various work arounds with CRU, but no avail.
    OP - let me know how you go.

nope likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Will do, the Samsung doesn’t have FreeSync it’s done with the Kogan with an added adaptive sync module just to let you know. You’re monitor may not have the module, I will test tonight when I get home because it only got to my place at 5:30pm lol

the_antipop likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Well its not being picked up by mine as well, will have a play with it on the weekend :( On the good side zero dead stuck pixels, 144hz and 2k plus a very nice panel XD. I will keep reading into the gsync issue and see what i come up with, I will also try freesync when i can get my hands on an AMD gpu, google google google lol

13. nope

nope Member

weird how gsync (freesync) works perfectly on mine
    exchange them for it maybe?

14. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

So does your monitor have a Freesync option? Are you able to enable G-Sync compatibility? Mine effectively works, Black Ops 4 and Apex Legends work fairly well, but when I go into Battlefield V, artefacting is everywhere - it's hardly playable. Are you in a similar situation? Weirdly, the G-Sync Pendulum demo lists that G-Sync is functional, and I get no artefacting during that demo...

EDIT: I believe installing those Samsung Drivers changed the monitor's name, and also added Samsung's Colour settings. No real difference in the G-Sync compatibility.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Yer it has FreeSync but it’s not being detected to enable in nvidia drivers. It should work I will change the dp cable around to another dp out on my rtx 2070 and see. There are people doing it on the gn27d so hopefully I get it working, people are saying under 48fps there getting issues though and using your cru can help a bit, have you checked your FPS and when it’s happening?

16. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I reckon that under the 48fps might be my issue. Got a thread?

17. Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

hey mate - besides the issues with freesync/g-sync how are you finding the monitor? i'm pretty close to biting the bullet and getting one - can't seem to find a good review so far

18. nope

nope Member

Get the one i got 34" 3k 100hz

19. Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

Yer I was looking at this one however I think the ultrawide is crazy wide - not sure if I'd be a fan of it

20. nope

nope Member

lol if you think thats wide dont go look at 31:9+ screens get a good vesa mount/stand