3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. apsilon

apsilon Member

Yay. Make sure you let the sheet cool to room temp before trying to remove the part. You'll hear the part separating as the sheet cools so probably won't even need to flex the sheet.

millsy likes this.
  2. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

:lol: Just don’t tell my Missus! But yeah, probably enough bits here now to build a 2nd HevORT, will do that immediately after this one is done. I just need to get the 8020 extrusion….. it I will anyway do this one in 20mm extrusion, not 15mm….as I will use Clearpath servos at high-speed on it….so a bit extra rigidity will help.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  3. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

hah, yeah gets out of hand sometimes.

maybe you need another dragon hotend...on special for only 77 on aliex :D

4. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Haha, not! I recently got 2x if the previous version Mosquitos, which were on special at Phaser :lol: Plus I have a spare E3D V6 here too. Officially a hot-end hoarder….

5. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Just ordered one of these to go with the E3D and Mosquito I already have - just in case...

garfield2k likes this.
  6. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Haha, so we have almost the same gear :)

7. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Question for a noob here who really just downloads basic small things off of thingiverse and prints.

I'm wanting to print an 18cm wide sign/name plate kind of thing and drew it up onto tinkercad as I've no real experience in any CAD software and wanted to dabble into this. Below pictured is a mockup of what I want to achieve, can be exported to STL via tinkercad where I made this design.

My question regarding this is, is it possible on a single extruder Ender 3 V2 (bare bones no upgrades etc); to print on the same layer with different colours? I have the filament colours on hand as per pic reference and a very quick youtube I know I can print different coloured layers using a Pause at Height script in Cura but as my texts and fire symbol are on the same layer they would only differ from the backplate. Is it possible? Or is this something I'd just have to print all separately and then glue together? Any help would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

8. mtma

mtma Member

Basically yes, it can be done. With Cura this might be a starting point:
    https://community.ultimaker.com/top...ple-color-with-a-single-extruder-using-z-hop/

You might need to edit the sequencing manually as there's potential crashes if you don't print the coloured bits in an order that the motion options doesn't cause any crashes with. You could also splice g-codes segments together manually, though just asking the printer to restart with an offset print seems to be a very simplistic option.

Ed- also you might want to supress turning the heat bed off at the end of a print as any warpage in the white plate will cause havoc with the restart.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  9. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Offset start with the coloured lettering is my guess. As long as you don't need to run anything like auto levelling each time. But yeah best to keep things heated during colour changes.

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

What's a good budget machine.

Say under $1000.

Would want a enclosed one, keep all the dust etc out.

I have zero idea. But can use and learn various CAD programs easily enough.

11. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Prusa MK3 is a solid machine, I guess you could pick it up for sub 1k, if you get the diy kit and assemble it yourself. You can do an enclosure later. I have had mine for a few years now, solid little machine now that I have it dialed in.

Currently printing a rotary spool-holder to sit inside a food dehydrator, converted into a filament dryer. Printing eSun Nylon-CF blend, nice and comfortable wit that material, bed at 80 deg C, hot-end 255 deg C…

I know there will be other recommendations and probably better ones, but give it a consideration anyway, it is a good little machine.

Cheers,
    Beano

12. apsilon

apsilon Member

While I agree with the suggestion (though I'm biased) current price on a Mk3s+ is US$749 + shipping so it's a bit over the $1k mark so will have GST bring it to a little over $1100 and then you might want to throw in additional sheets at the same time etc as well. There are no enclosed printers in that budget that I'm aware of so anything is going to be DIY as far as the enclosure goes though I guess you could look at a small resin printer instead which are enclosed but have their own unique issues.

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

$1000 with an enclosure is a tricky target. I don't think much off-the-shelf exists in that range - realistically I think your option is to buy a <$1000 machine with enough left over to enclose it.

If enclosure is the name of the game, an i3-style bedflinger is not a particularly convenient design. It's much easier to enclose something that lives within its own footprint.

14. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I don't have any experiences but reviews of the Ender 6 are OK (For the price) and its mostly enclosed. Just needs a hat.

They are Around the Mid $700s which is very cheap for a CoreXY.

15. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Thanks guys. Doesn't need to be too good. Just not complete trash...

16. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

First printer? Using it for anything in specific?

17. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yes.

Just little things, fixing and modding. Cable y splitters. Headphone adapter things.

Just stuff.

18. Current

Current New Member

I have the cocoon create 200x200mm bed printer from aldi. Hasn't let me down and is quite forgiving and has a levelling program that helps you level the bed.

although it has a clogged nozzle at the moment that i need to clear.

19. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

If it just for stuffing around, get a cheap I3 style with a big community. Something like a Ender 3 V2 or CR6 or one of the million similar options (Just check reviews to make sure its not total garbage) . They are more than good enough for that sort of stuff as long as you don't want them to go too fast.

Unless its are living in a dust workshop you don't really need an enclosure. Just wipe the bed with a cloth before a print if its dirty.

Benno1988 likes this.
  20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

It'll sit in a garage. So typical car in and out, not completely sealed inside type of dust.

Ender 3 V2. Will check it out.

Don't need it to be quick at all