1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I am thinking of getting rails for mine in the 11:11 sale and was torn between "Hiwin" or generics from Aliexpress.

Those generics going OK for you? Smooth and rigid?

2. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

They are good. They did need a serious clean before use, lots of dirt and swarf in them. Smooth and tight still after 12 months moderate usage.
    I use a light oil instead of grease so need to re-oil more often than you would with grease.
    I bought the same style rails for my new Hevort build. Not sure if there is a lot of difference between suppliers but I got mine from CNA Mechanical Parts along with the ballscrews for the Hevort.
    Very quick delivery via courier - about 2 weeks.

3. brayway

brayway Member

Oh sweet! I don't know why I didn't think of that, test fitted, and yup, they'll fit in there.
    Might have to take the top off and slot it in for now, then when I get another dremel (Mine died :( ) I'll do the full 'U'.
    I think the missed layer is from the slicer, reprinted and it did the exact same thing, will have to try re-slicing it.
    Just doing another temp tower now with lower tempts, starting at 180, and going up in 5*c increments. Will see how that goes.

4. brayway

brayway Member

Okay so I 'gave in', and pulled the machine down a bit.
    I had suspicions that the fans weren't running at full speed, sometimes they'd struggle to start etc, and if I moved the step down units, the fans would stop spinning altogether.

So I removed the connectors I put on, and removed the wires I'd soldered on, and fixed that all up.
    Bought a hot glue gun and glued the PCBs to the cases, and the cases to the bottom of the printer.

Also realised that the lead screw for the 2nd Z Stepper wasn't seated right in the coupler. The coupler had dropped down and the screw wasn't even touching the grub screw. That was also probably one of my main issues.

Put it back together and so far it's printing much better, will need to recalibrate almost everything now.

[​IMG]

tumutbound likes this.
  5. brayway

brayway Member

Getting pretty dialed in now, started printing out this enclosure, and the first piece has come out really nice in comparison to any previous print of mine.
    Really happy with how it's turning out! Second half printing now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Looks miles better, that Blue print was pretty bad.

Just hit that print with a hot air gun to get rid of the wisps and you are good. Maybe also add abit of Z hop as there are a few drag lines on that top surface and maybe try that new Cura feature (Monotonic something something) to even out the top a bit.

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

8. apsilon

apsilon Member

Definitely want but my wallet doesn't agree right now,

9. Franc

Franc Member

Its got a number of really cool features, but the one I really like is the load cell.....though the heated bed is nice.

Pity the price, its double the amount I have spent for my Voron 2.4 even before considering shipping

10. Current

Current Member

Hey guys, this may sound stupid or something, but it's a genuine question.

So, i see people have nice looking pictures of the model they are designing, how to you get/do that ? I just have my design in my brain and i use solidworks to design the piece with cut/extrude :/

I feel like I know enough to get by and design some basic stuff, but not enough to do it professionally or even close to that level.

11. Franc

Franc Member

No way anyones going to cover that here - way too much an indepth topic watch some youtube videos there are tons of people out there explaining how to start and use solidworks. Helps if yuou have two screens though (or two PCs) Theres more packages out there than solidworks for different things.

12. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

need to get my hands on some of this stuff. I just printed a whole set of christmas presents for the nephews and ant to re do them all in this :Paranoid:

13. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I use Fusion 360 and there are a massive number of guides on Youtube, there is a bit of a learning curve but you can do some pretty cool stuff with the basics.

14. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Thinking about taking the plunge and building a voron. anyone locally done it that can comment on what additional challenges we face in australia?

15. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

depends where you buy it i guess and luck if it gets picked up by customs.

from alie you already pay gst so less likely? full kit or self source?
    unique prints store in melb offer some parts that would be better to source here - frame, panels, etc

Defyant likes this.
  16. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

was thinking the formbot kit from ali + get someone to print the printed parts for me

17. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

yeah thats good value - possibly replace some of the important electrical bits - ssr, heated bed etc..see on the discord channel. also on there, some offer part printing for the aussie/kiwi group as well.

18. Defyant

Defyant Member

Prolly had 30+ printers in and out of the farm over the past 24 months . From 10+ Ender 3 V2's to CR6Se's ,CR10s Pro V2's , Tronxy's, Tevo's and the printers that have been our constant and buy far out performed the others in everyway have been the BIQU B1's

We were nearly going to blow a stack of cash on Joe's over rated printers till we tried these. These have made us good rtn on our investment and continue to do so.

Just get creative and add a Lack !

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  19. Defyant

Defyant Member

There's a local guy in AU (not the parramatta guy) that is pretty switched on, I dont think i'd be challenged building a Voron but running our print farm robs me of a lotta time so i'd happily trust this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfNef1WVhzrHvqgQCtOorQ/videos

Thats his youtube page

heres his webby

https://www.keenzkustoms.com/product-page/voron-2-4-3d-printer

20. m3k

m3k Member

imho u cant call prusas over rated till you give one a spin- the software development and the custom marlin build is second to none, the R&D has come back into the open source community and people paying these overpriced fees have gifted us with new features along the way,

your local guy keen runs a farm of prusas :p