1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. Elmf

Elmf Member

Wasn't discounting your idea haha, I have heard of that being a thing. I think I've just lost interest driving around and dealing with FB ppl lately, thus buying more shit on OCAU lately haha.

I was thinking there was maybe a budget 'standard' one that everyone bought, but maybe not the case.

2. Revenger

Revenger Member

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  3. Defyant

Defyant Member

The reusable vacuum seal storage bags would seam to be the cheapest low maintenance option for a couple of rolls. It's what i would use if i didn't have hundred + rolls.

4. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

5. Ck21

Ck21 Member

+1

i have 4 sovol filament dryer's from ebay, works good.

only complaint is that if you dont have 2 spools in it, and have a single 1kg roll, it can tip over in the box while its feeding into your active printer.

so ive put a cardboard roll/tube through the center of the roll and cut to fit the box, to keep it being able to fall over sideways in the box itself, easy ghetto fix.

could 3d print a more visual appealing rod to replace the cardboard, but why spend money on filament, when you can just recycle the cardboard roll out of a gladwrap/baking paper box for free :p

6. Revenger

Revenger Member

Decided to pick one of these gell filled dehimidifiers up to try.
    is cheap and coming from china so will take a while.
    Theres a few out there so getting probably one of the cheapest to test $15, to chuck in the cabinet I have filament or the enclosure when printing etc.

[​IMG]

If it goes well I may get this one also 'Youpin Deerma Recyclable Mini Dehumidifier' as it seems a better model and is licenced by Xiaomi.

[​IMG]

7. Revenger

Revenger Member

Great tip.
    I've been wondering also how I would dry my loose filament samples in it as I have different materials wood, marble, glow, 21 colour etc samples I bought in bulk sample packs to try and see what they could do.

8. Defyant

Defyant Member

I agree with this guy, just get a proper one....

I actually have a few around the house and they work sucking a ltr a day of water out of the air. Get em on amazon etc. But if you only have 2 or 3 rolls just shove em in a drawer with a small cup of moisture absorber or even some shredded up paper and be done with it..... seriously it's pla!

[​IMG]

In the old days a lot of us over-clockers and pc-modders used to use Peltier coolers to cool overclocked cpus.....

9. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I discovered these things the other day, and have been thinking about making a tub with one in the side for my filament. Haven't progressed to the stage of actually working out a) cost b) availabilty

10. Revenger

Revenger Member

I'm interested in seeing pictures of your filament storage areas, how and where you store them.
    Can see Defyant above.

11. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I recently got one of these on sale:

https://sirui-photo.com.au/product/sirui-hc-70-electronic-humidity-control-cabinet/

I have loaded it up with filament and some dessicant bags I had leftover - sits at about 20-25% RH (25% setpoint). Will see how it goes long term as I had previously been putting my filament in sealed buckets full of dessicant but found the dessicant slowly went bad (the type I had was non-rechargeable).

They are not cheap (hundreds to several hundreds USD) - you are likely better off just investing in an off the shelf chamber/cabinet or DIY and buying dessicant.

Defyant and greencamel65 like this.
  12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Guys (and the occasional girl).. . Help..

https://imgur.com/a/C80sDjC

Print failed. Backed up into my extruder. Two wires ripped out and as per pics....

Symptoms once I managed to unplug that plug is that I try pre heat it and it restarts and shows -15c as current temp then doesn't do shit. Are those thermo wires or something?

In your experience am I better off trying to save/clean a bunch of parts here or cheaper to just do a whole extruder upgrade on Creality CR6-SE? Or can I not do that easily because of the auto levelling system?

13. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

its just the thermister which are pretty cheap. most sell them unterminated so will need to do that yourself. a few aussie retailers if you need something quick, otherwise ali is the other option.
    i have some spare and can crimp the same size if you need something urgent - though not sure which thermistors i have spare (if the same type)

14. Elmf

Elmf Member

Hey man basically my printer is out of commission so if you could assist it'd be awesome!

I have the plug still, just with bare copper off it. I guess the challenge I have now is getting the purple pla off without being able to heat it. I'm going to have to pull the whole extruder apart which is new to me and then maybe heat gun or pry it out.

15. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

yeah let me know if you need the thermistor - ill be in the city next week tues/weds so if you are up there can meet up.

Elmf likes this.
  16. Elmf

Elmf Member

Out of commission for travel this week due to standard 2020-2022 reasons. Got cold symptoms haha.

Where would you buy them local if you had to?

Any ideas on best way to get it all fixed or is what I said the only way? Pull it all apart, clean off PLA and reassemble?

17. Elmf

Elmf Member

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  18. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

local? could try jaycar, otherwise aussie online stores like here for generic ones. would still need to crimp though. doesnt seem like any direct replacement for the cr6 for a reasonable price.

as for cleaning, could try breaking the pla off and exposing the screws for the thermistor so can chnage it out, which would allow you to replace and heat up to melt the rest off. have you got spare nozzles? wouldnt be a bad idea to have spares of various things so easier/quicker to get back up and running.

Elmf likes this.
  19. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I just have a 80-100L (can't remember specifically) sealed tub (rubber gasket in the lid and large snap locks) with about 2kg of desiccant beads in the base of it. Pile all my filament spools in there and they it happily sits around 10-14% humidity forever. Take out a roll when I want to print and put it back after the print. Has worked well so far.

I have a sunbeam food dehydrator for when I need to dry stuff out though.

20. Revenger

Revenger Member

Tried Klipper and failed as it needs a custom printer.cfg with all the variables put in.
    So back on the Marlin BTT firmware and doing a test 10mm cube in PLA on the PEI stock cura settings.
    Tried the glass bed yet again before swapping and PLA wouldn't stick.

Also setup custom lighting gcode in octoprint so when the actual print starts the leds turn white then after printing green.

Awaiting all my upgrades still but wanted to try something now.
    Any ideas for some fun stuff to print with PLA while I await all the upgrades?

OctoPrint - Google Chrome 9_05_2022 2_03_54 AM.png