1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. Elmf

Elmf Member

True. My main issue was the thermistor was fucked so I couldn't even heat the hotend up lol.

Defyant likes this.
  2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Lol, good luck.

Elmf likes this.
  3. Elmf

Elmf Member

Long nose pliers. Thermistor replaced. Printing better than ever now :)

Albeit the hot end is now scratched as lol.

4. millsy

millsy Member

So based on incessant badgering i picked up a prusa mini + second hand to supplement / replace my ender 3, wow, despite the fact the one i picked up had some issues I rectified, big upgrade in terms of 'it just works'.

Elmf likes this.
  5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

[​IMG]

6. Revenger

Revenger Member

7. scips

scips Member

Thats how I'm feeling with the Kobra, fixed the hotbed wire being loose and its just effortless printing. Perfect first layers no ringing or stringing at all.

8. Defyant

Defyant Member

So what didnt work on your ender 3?

9. schnappy

schnappy Member

10. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

location?
    a few places in melb sell 2020 profile and brackets.

11. schnappy

schnappy Member

Brisbane, would be paying post anyway I don't have a car at the moment.

I need some pretty beefy ones that won't bend. The H-Shifter is fairly tall so you apply a lot of torque when using it, and can be springy so the weeble-wobble backwards and forth can cause a lot of shaking.

12. Defyant

Defyant Member

13. millsy

millsy Member

It was inconsistent, mostly.

You'd come back to it after not using it for a while and have "issues", usually related to bed leveling, or extrusion issues, or prints just not adhering no matter what was attempted as you reached the edges of the build plate. I fell for the modding addiction, and ended up spending an ungodly amount of time tweaking. A 3d printer hobby rather than a 3d printing hobby as was described to me.

In saying that, I'm absolutely keeping it and have a final set of upgrades I'm intending to put on it, then i'll keep it and the mini.

The addition of a PEI sheet and upgraded springs certainly improved it immensely, I just should have left it stock and accepted the limitations in exchange for reliability :)

14. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

ramamotors are good, they are a small part time place and can cut/make whatever bracket you like.

if its tall, would it be better to use a 2020 and brace it diagonally?

15. Defyant

Defyant Member

It's sounds like a Prusa is what you need.

16. booboo

booboo Member

been finding the same with mine and makes me want to upgrade, even having a bl touch on it helps alot but can do things like the same print 3 times and one of them had looked like it moved when it was still stuck down. just a few random results but overall works

17. schnappy

schnappy Member

Marked in red where I wanted to put flat plates (or flat with some sort of lip so they won't bend):
    https://imgur.com/a/SqEli0X

There is meant to be a 40x40 angle bit on the bottom too but to get it low enough where I want it to sit I've got it sitting on top of that black bit that holds the vertical in. I've mixed and matched some kits and the black bits stick up pretty high - it's meant for a 40x160 based kit but I am using 40x120.
    When you move the H shifter aggresively left and right the 40x80 beam will flex and you can see a 1-2mm deflection where I've marked in red.
    The 40x40 vertical to hold it in place at the end helped a lot but is ugly, could replace that. I'll give these stores a proper browse.
    Might be worth going back to square 1 and spend some money on revamping the whole shifter mount.

Sorry didn't want to hijack the thread but I know a lot of 3D printer people have experience with this T-slot.

18. Defyant

Defyant Member

Sounds like you need a Prusa too :rolleyes:

Honestly i'm not sure what you guys are doing. I find them to be the easiest printers to setup and print good. No need for bltouch no need for DD drive hot ends no need for for flex plates no need for joe.... Just install jyers and setup mesh bed leveling and your done. That's it... It will print pla as good as the best prusa/voron/ or any other bed slinger filament printer.

I usually pick them up for 100-150 for a v2 and upto 100 for a stock 3/pro thyr usually setup poorly which is why ppl loose interest and move them on cheap.

All i would bother with is some Capricorn tubing and eventually a metal extruder. Still for less than 200 you have a printer that prints as good prusas all day.

I'm not saying don't buy a prusa ... They are a great printer.:thumbup:

19. Defyant

Defyant Member

Here ya go boys,

Times are a changing for the 3d printer game.

I wont make the obvious comparisons , i'll let these guys do that :)

20. millsy

millsy Member

Get a PEI sheet if you don't have one, it's like a new device :)

Yeah look, I know my ender wasn't 100% from user error, but I bought a misassembled prusa mini, pulled it apart and fixed it, and it prints with no impediments. The same effort on my ender lead to continuous issues with consistency, bed adhesion, yadda yadda.

I'd heartily disagree with 'as good as prusas' in terms of quality though, if you're legitimately curious to compare I've got every benchy I've printed on my e3, from stock setup to direct drive mods etc. I'd say that an otherwise stock E3D with a new extruder would be pretty close, but a stock one certainly not.

Still keeping my current ender 3 now I have the mini, they're worth nothing on the used market as you rightfully point out... Beats me why, they're fantastic. I regret fiddling with mine.

Defyant likes this.