1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

What's the depth of the CR-10? I can find dimensions but they don't tell me which way is which! I'm probably going to mount the control box external to the enclosure so I can heat the enclosure a bit.

The very is supposed to be 500 x 560 x 650 but I can't work out if the 560 is the width or depth of the machine. I suspect it'll make a difference if there are any wires hanging out the rear of the build plate as inly have about 580 depth to playwth.

2. Current

Current Member

I have 2x wanhao i3 with the lcd touch screen from aldi, one is a parts machine and the good one with all the upgrades ( all metal hot end, as well as feeder and all that stuff is cnc billit aluminium, but unsure if i can be fucked sorting it out :/ so sick of clogged nozzles :'( it's been sitting now for about 9 months with a clogged nozzle

3. Defyant

Defyant Member

Pretty much just pla on these machines :)

With the bed fully extended back its 650 front to rear.

Yer i grabbed a monster wanhao on a whim, ive pulled it down for parts only. Just isnt worth the effort for what you get.

[​IMG]

4. Current

Current Member

i just keep getting clogs and it pisses me off :'( have not touched the printer in at least 9 months now.

moved house and i wonder if i still have the bits in the bag somewhere to put it all back together, sigh.

5. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Bugger! Figured it'd be bigger than 2 times the size of the build volume, but was hoping for the best.

Oh well. Worth looking at anyway.

6. ShadoX

ShadoX Member

Anyone got recommendations on a decent 310x310 PEI spring steel bed that doesn't break the bank?
    I thought i saw someone recommend a couple ebay one but damned if i can find the post again.

Are the Energetic3D double sided beds off AliExpress any good?

Doesn't have to be magnetic (though that would probably make getting it in/out of my homemade CoreXY a lot simpler lol)

7. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

ugh! I want to upgrade the creator pro to a larger build size. I think all the standard cartesians are going to be too big to fit the enclosure @ 300 x 300 (i.e. 300 build plate size + 150 + 150 travel in both direction = 600 mm min), and a 250 x 250 isn't really much of a size increase over the 227 x 148 that I've already got.

The TwoTrees SP-5/Sapphire Pro looks like the right size and it seems to be a good place to start. But its $975 delivered so I feel i might as well go to a voron for that sort of coin.

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-300...2622&sprefix=twotrees+sapphire,aps,290&sr=8-3

The ender 6 would also go well but its $700 for 250 x 250 whereas the ender 5 is only $450 for 220 x 220.

What other choices are there? I kinda want to keep the frame/operational size to about 550 deep x 480 wide which limits me to coreXY.

8. Defyant

Defyant Member

I fell out of love there for a while with my wham bam's... Wanted that sexy ruff finish to my prints. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1654856...QbGYOeDLaXO4=|tkp:BFBMjLjAn7Vg&frcectupt=true

Ive swapped back cause as good as they are they still aint perfect. Back to my wham bam's with some good old magicgoo FTW... there just isnt a better combo when you need to keep a 3day print stuck to a bed.

9. scips

scips Member

Ender5 isnt coreXY but there are mods out there to convert it later on, I love mine its such a simple machine to troubleshoot everything.

10. Defyant

Defyant Member

I hear ya ! I stick with carts simply cause it makes life easy for the wife, Happy wife Happy life :) but have been playing around with alot of core xy printers even hbot too ! You seem to have limited yourself to an enclosure size.... Cant you just make a larger enclosure? I think the ikea hack lack one i did ages ago was even bigger than that.

Go the ender 5 pro just brought a clean one today for 250 with plans to upgrade to a Merc 1.

11. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

a voron 2.4 (or any other core xy variant) would be under 500 square for the 300x300 print area :p

but yeah...enclosure for my ender 3 is around 600x500 lol

12. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Yeah, its still on the cards. I don't really want to mod it too much. Probably change it over to direct drive or just place the bowden drive on the carriage.

Yes and no. The enclosure sits on the bench really well. I can make it bigger to support the Cartesians but it's going to overhang the rear of the bench which means I gotta move the bench away from the wall. It's a bit crappy.

I may end up doing it anyway. I kinda keep drifting back to either the artillery sidewinder x2 or the ender 5/6/7.

Wish I could afford a voron!

13. Defyant

Defyant Member

Ender 5' is really a just a cartesian.... when you consider its one motor per axis.. it's still a fantastic printer with some simple upgrades. It's the community upgrades that make it really special. But these can be applied to any box frame printer if your so inlcined.

I picked an old trony x5s 2E up for 150 a few weeks back... strip it down toss out the dual extruder and it's the basis for a possible Vzbot upgrade. An old folgetech ft5 i got for next to nothing will be a voron legacy with some easy to print upgrades.

I'm on the hunt now for a second ender 5 pro :) I want to start theme to them much like ive done with all the ender3 v2's.

But all you really need is a box frame, you can strip down say an old printer for parts and with a bit of printing and smarts you can make decent printer nowadays easy.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  14. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Bought a second hand Sovol SV01. It's a little smaller at 280 x 240 x 300 but it's already a tight fit in the enclosure.

20220702_112615.jpg

Glad i didn't go the sidewinder x2 in the end. Would've been too big. I could extend the enclosure but it would require moving the bench away from the wall and that wasn't an option.

20220702_112627.jpg

Still, the heated bed wiring extends past the end of the enclosure. I'm hoping a cable chain should sort me out. Fingers crossed.

Printer itself needs a bit of work. I've already identified 13 matters that need sorting out. The printer itself looks like it's going to be a great piece of kit though with some good quality of life improvements. No auto bed levelling but I don't think I'm missing much there to be honest.

Defyant likes this.
  15. Defyant

Defyant Member

Sovol make a nice printer :thumbup: That does look like a fixer upper but dual lead screws is always a bonus looks like a glass bed too!

16. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Yeah. Glass bed. I've never used one so see how we go I guess. I've only ever used blue tak and PEI.

Ill probably fix the uprights to the enclosure as well to stiffen it up. So many things to do whenever there's a new printer!

17. Franc

Franc Member

I have two SV03's and they are pretty decent though I wouldnt recommend the SV01 over a ender 3, for example (I bought them due to large size, good for big pla prints at least)

Defyant likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Why would the ender 3 be a better choice?

19. Franc

Franc Member

Way better aftermarket designs/mods/support. Don't get me wrong the SV01 is a reasonable machine and I doubt you will have any regrets and getting one used was probably a bargain, but If I was buying new I would (and have recommended) the Ender 3 V2.

Defyant likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

I agree with you that the Creality's do have a much larger support base. But from what I can see, both the Sovol and the Creality's both well and truly exceed the 'easy-to-mod' standard though so I couldn't say one was better than the other in that respect. The only caveat to that I would say is the difficulty updating the stock extruder to an all metal heatbreak for the SV01 Pro and the SV04 (think that's the right models)??

The bug bear I have with most of the hobby 3D printers are the lack of capacity to print from a network without mods.

I got lucky with the Creator Pro. It_just_worked with any filament I threw at it. Updating it with a removable PEI bed meant I levelled it once when I installed the PEI and then didn't level it again. Unfortunately, it is a bit dated now. Things I value are babystepping, removable print surface, all metal hotend, compact footprint, direct drive extruder and good cooling power.

Defyant likes this.