1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. Elmf

Elmf Member

Just used PETG for the first time. Getting way better bed adhesion with no glue or raft or nothing compared to PLA, but maybe because I got quality eSun filament as opposed to whatever Amazon sold me for my first roll.

Getting LOTS of stringing though...Need to start fucking with settings but not sure where to start.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. apsilon

apsilon Member

Bugger. That's the sort of timing that usually happens to me.

3. brayway

brayway Member

Setup my first 3D printer over the last few days, Ender 3 v2.
    From everything I read, I was expecting a lot of trouble getting it to print well. But it only took half an hour or so of leveling the bed (jyers firmware), and some googling for Cura profile suggestions, and I'm away.
    My 'test' prints were making model head gaskets for an EJ20, and not my first 'big' print is a camera mount. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2886101
    So far I've printed the main bracket, and working on the back casing now, then the front.
    Running Octoprint of course.

p3t0r likes this.
  4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep, about standard for me too heh. They'll announce a i3 Mk4 next month now...

5. mtma

mtma Member

TBH I wouldn't worry about it, Mk3S is well travelled and a solid performer, and short of an alternate process coming in and disrupting FDM's hold in the hobby arena, it is probably going to remain great for some time to come.

6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Not a huge concern other than not having latest and greatest. I think mk3s+ will do great for a long time. I would like a 32bit board and it seems like they do plan on doing one and having an upgrade kit available so that’s pretty good.

Am just excited to get mine. Currently sitting with fedex in France due to an “operational delay” :(

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

I am expecting to see a mk4 released this year. The question is will it be an all new design or another revised i3, perhaps larger in size.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I think I’ve seen it stated by Prusa the next printer release is the “XL” which is significantly larger and corexy style.

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

I'd seen that mentioned a few places but not from Prusa so thought it might be a rumor/wishful thinking.

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 11.16.58 pm.png

FFS... 3 delays? :(

11. pelmen

pelmen Member

Yep same here, had Prusa packages held too by the damn French. Packages now in Dubai and Singapore but no delivery ETA listed anymore. Soon I hope. Yours hopefully moving soon too.

12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Lowered Z Axis compensation a tiny bit and now my PETG is printing nicer...Only my second PETG print ever, so good to see it improving already. Cool.

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

Spent 2 hours tonight trying to figure out why my printer suddenly was having poor first layer adhesion, tons of curling and layer separation.

Just after I turned off the printer in frustration i noticed I had loaded it with ABS+ but was trying to print in PLA... :tired:

Elmf and tumutbound like this.
  14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Still there! Been there since midnight on Thursday. Madness.

I re levelled the x gantry, recompiled the firmware with the m48 probe test function enabled and ran it a few times. I think the results indicate the probe isn't broken.

Code:
    Recv: Mean: -0.006750 Min: -0.013 Max: 0.000 Range: 0.013
    Recv: Standard Deviation: 0.003717

Mean: -0.005750 Min: -0.010 Max: 0.000 Range: 0.010
    Recv: Standard Deviation: 0.002512

Mean: -0.016750 Min: -0.023 Max: -0.013 Range: 0.010
    Recv: Standard Deviation: 0.002750
    Something weird is definitely going on. Other than recalibrating the E steps do I need to calibrate the other axis motors after changing motherboard?

15. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Just added a Prusa mini+ to my collection.

They still have not fixed the PFTE bypass issue. Stringing is terrible.

Be warned, the fanboys and reviews are covering for them. The Mini may one day be the perfect beginner printer but it's not yet.

16. m3k

m3k Member

what is a ptfe bypass issue?

im sorry to hear about your issues with the mini- you're right its probably not the perfect beginner printer- i dont think there is such thing right now tbh.

for stringing:
    on all metal hot end- - take this with a grain of salt - you should season it first- That involves putting some form of cooking oil on the filament every so often to polamarise the inside of the heartbreak and nozzle,

also then I would make sure im using dry filament- tweak retraction- as slow as 8mms as fast as 60mms depending on the filament type, and lower temp if stringing persists - id also try to slow down the printer to avoid backpressure in the bowden tube- and also look into enable coasting or wipe in your slicer if that works with you.

i'd still agree that prusa mini is a beginner printer- but thats only because of the price-
    in reality though- Every printer with excessive use is going to break down on you- even the super idiot proof perfectly made ones- and then you'll need to learn and get your hands dirty and become an advance user very quickly. some will break sooner than others :p

the fanboys are prusa fan boys for a reason- the support- documentation- and general business practices say a lot more about the company than even the product does tbh. but in saying that i dont know of another printer out right now that does nozzle crash detection, ABL, seemless filament changes, has allmetal hotend, filament runout, skew compensation, etc all out of the box like the i3mk3s for example.

even if linear rods and lm8uu are ancient crap tech and 3d printed frame parts is not the most desirable at times.

esp when moving the printer around mid print, that will 100% ruin a print. if you ever think you will find urself in that position- i'm a supporter of the aftermarket bear upgrade

that being said - i personally have had alot of prusa printers, But ive never kept them. long term- :p

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  17. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I'll add some more evidence for you all. I've gone well beyond what you've suggested already.
    Enders been heavily modified but still has the original extruder and hot-end and it's shitting all over the mini.

I've even contacted the support to test that. It's not terrible but clearly scripted and relies heavily on the FAQ's (which are of excellent quality).

It pains me to say this, I always highly rated Prusa but they have compromised their reputation by getting this mini price down to help facilitate entry to their own populous.
    We have what we have largely because of them but get the MK3 or something else. Not the mini for your first printer, not yet.

Extruder and hotend are compromised designs.

Hp88 likes this.
  18. Elmf

Elmf Member

Without meaning to sound rude, but what of the above would be 'evidence' to back your points?

19. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Prints of the same models on 2 machines, one that would be considered mass produced junk.

Elmf likes this.
  20. Elmf

Elmf Member

Point taken, but you could just be using fucked filament, which potentially one printer is more sensitive to than the other.

My point is that there's so many variables in 3D printing that unless there's literally an array/forum/thread of non-stop the same complaint, then that comparison doesn't mean much, nor does saying it's shit.

Alas, it probably is ;)