1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printer General Chat

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, May 26, 2021.

1. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Would have had something to share tonight but got another extruder jam on the Mini.
    I have about $280 of new filament from varying manufactures to test with. Including the samples of prusament.

I've even increased the speed and decreased the quality on the Ender to give the Prusa an advantage on the last TempTower but the Enders got no where near the stinging with the most basic of extruder.

The Prusa has better dimensional capability but the heat-break and the extruder have ruined this printer.
    I really thought those threads about the bontech upgrades were just bullshit, why would Prusa shave a few $ knowing this was dead set the perfect printer for most.

Elmf likes this.
  2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Because end users are cheap and uninformed, same reason for most of the issues in the market.

Pretty much boil down the to the "Lemon problem" , if the buyers of a product can't tell the difference between a good and bad product they will not pay a premium for the good one and the sellers of a good product will have to decrease the quality of their product to compete in that market segment (Ignorant customers). Pretty much a race to the bottom of quality.

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Built a new UV cure chamber for my Mono X. Complete with rotating base and mirrors on all sides. Utilized pretty much everything from Ikea lol. Ikea mirrors, ikea round mirror, ikea cabinet and door insert. The door has a piece of acrylic with mirror film. I couldn't be bothered doing a proper job. It doesn't need to be smooth. Placed a switched on the door to turn the UV on/off. There's a step down transformer inside to drop the 12V to 5V for the rotating base and a switch mounted towards the door to activate the rotation. It's around 30x30x30cm volume.

upload_2021-7-31_23-3-38.png
    upload_2021-7-31_23-1-18.png
    upload_2021-7-31_23-0-46.png

millen likes this.
  4. Elmf

Elmf Member

5. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I forgot to ask what the duty and GST added up to?

Think I should have gone the Mk3 instead of the Mini. Almost have it sorted but closing in on comparable price to get it right.

6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I think the bill from Fedex for duty and their fee was $200. Still don't have printer. Massive shipping delays at every hub the thing arrives at.

7. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Odd, my mini came via Germany Koln, then through mid US Memphis, Indianapolis then Sydney via Hawaii.

12 Days...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  8. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Just ordered an SKR Mini E3 for my Ender 3. Love this printer, been practically trouble free for almost 2 years, but damn is that stock board loud.

9. brayway

brayway Member

OOh I just ordered an SKR E3 Turbo for mine, see how long that takes to turn up though!

10. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Have one of these in my Ender 5. Best upgrade so far. Drop in replacement which is nice.

Narcoticx2 likes this.
  11. mtma

mtma Member

If it's Fedex, they have a huge tendency to route through the US.

12. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Indeed it was, never will use DHL again.

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Voron V0.1 build functionally complete... need to print the panel clips and tophat to enclose it, mount the Pi Cam, get some lighting going...but it's complete enough to print the rest of itself. Here it's doing the skirts that tidy up the base.

garfield2k, millsy and brayway like this.
  14. millsy

millsy Member

Added a PEI sheet (the energetic double sided one) to my ender 3, wow! Big difference, very happy

15. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

nice..you can get a dc-dc adaptor for the skr which will allow you to run more leds off the board rather than external power, think i have just under 30 leds to light up the print area. thinking of updating my v0 to a v0.1 but too many changes to make it worthwile :(

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Honestly the only change I think I'd bother with, coming from an V0.0, is the DD toolhead...which you can kind of do by itself except that it needs the slightly different tophat for clearance.
    The bigger spec A/B motors are a drop-in change if you want a bit more torque. Lots of 0.1's are being built from kits that still have the 0.0 spec motors TBH...

I don't think any of the other changes are worth doing unless they fix a problem you have.

17. alch

alch Member

Pondering one to print pots for grow tent.. but not worth it... unless I can profit from plants from grow tent.
    confooshun

18. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Got my X-Change tool changer from Printermods today. Looks pretty good.
    Not sure if it will go on the Ender 5 or the Hevort.

Part on the left is tool plate, takes extruder/hotned etc. Part on the right is carriage mount.
    xch-1.jpg

19. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

nah i already looked at the cad when it first came out and the dd head is too big and the bed mounts are slighly different offsetting the bed to compensate, so to fit just the head would mean losing some build volume. ive already got a sherpa mini all assembled so will be using that instead. but the afterburner head does look slick though...

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

After a very delayed journey from Czech Republic my Prusa i3 MK3S+ arrived today. Just as we bring our brand new human baby home from the hospital. Soo i suspect its going to sit in its box for a while before i can get to it.

CQGLHyperion, m3k and Elmf like this.