3D printer ideas?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Spanos

Spanos Member

Hi everyone!

I was looking at maybe doing some 3D printing. I've cruised through thingiverse and found a bunch of stuff I wanted to print up, plus, I've got a few ideas that I wanted to see put together.

I was originally thinking of going the Ender 3, however, most of the things I want to print are either replacement broken bits for the cars or do dads for camping or out in the garden. It seems that PLA won't be suitable for this application and ABS might have a fairly limited lifespan. (My project vehicle lives outside, not undercover). It looked like ASA is probably the preferred material.

Now, when I explored ASA, it looks like most recommend something with a hot end temp of 260+ and maybe even an enclosure.

All of the printers that fall into the above all seem to be around the $1k mark.

But then, I looked at Prusia 3d printers which have compatibility with ASA and none of those had enclosures. So now, I'm a bit unsure what I want. Is an enclosure really that necessary for large ASA prints? What would you guys suggest as a suitable printer for ASA?

2. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

enclosure is to help with cooling and shrinkage resulting in delamination of layers. some plastics deal with it better than others.

as for printing car parts, non-engine bay stuff is pretty safe to print in abs/asa i guess. anything inside would melt so would need nylon, peek or something more exotic so a cheap printer will not be able to do. i did do some interior bits in pla but they slowly deformed :lol:
    if you wanted a turn-key solution then best to get something that has a all-metal hotend and enclosed to do that. maybe someone will come to give some recommendations.

3. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Yeah, I looked at just an ender 3 but with upgraded parts. And it was getting close to the cost of other complete solutions.

4. ominae

ominae Member

Depends what your goals are I think.

If u just want to hop in and start printing with more than just pla and petg just pay more for a better printer.

I only just ordered a cheap ender 3 as a starting point to tinker with and upgrade as an activity in itself. (I’ve spent almost the printers value in upgrades already and I haven’t even got the printer yet).

I could’ve gone prusa up front and start printing things more reliably with a range of filaments but I would probably get bored too soon.

Edit: car specific stuff

this guys pretty funny - he’s spent a lot of time though getting things done on an ender 3 with cheap bits

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  5. Franc

Franc Member

Ender 3 + all metal hotend is no where near $1K?

6. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Yeah, I reckon that's me in a nutshell. Looking at second hand options, there is bulk options, so I reckon thatll work for me.

7. ominae

ominae Member

8. Franc

Franc Member

Eeek 2+ grand for a DIY printer? Why?

9. ominae

ominae Member

Hmm I thought configuration was ~$1500.

Looks a solid performer - the previous version reviewed very well and I would’ve bought one except covid hit at that time and he stopped shipping.

Also is custom/DYI enough to scratch that itch too - and is built on open platforms that can be modified upgraded further in future.

10. m3k

m3k Member

this guy thats printing nylon on a PTFE lined ender3,

do not print above 250 on a teflon lined hotend- PTFE will break down at 200c technically check wikipedia-the offgas of which is _VERY_ bad for you

how-bad? Well if u have a pet bird in the same room- it will die, (they say 275 but Teflon starts off-gassing at 200 according to wikipedia)
    and u dont wana make good use of ur super fund in around 15-20. cuz if ur huffing those fumes u might even join that bird -
    ALSO- The ptfe will deform at 240 in no time and cause annoying clogs.
    better safe than sorry- dont cook on teflon cookware over 200 and dont print over 200, All-metal conversion is cheap - health is no.1

not to mention if ur printing ABS the styrene is bad for you too

see: https://www.captubes.com/safety.html#temps

that being said - its good to know its possible to do in a pinch- if u need to print high temp on a stock ender3 - crack a window open and blow the fumes out the window !

11. m3k

m3k Member

im running PETG in enginebay right now. ive printed lots of parts for engine bays in PETG - Battery covers - bonnet arm clips- intake adapters- you name it.
    Ive done ASA and Nylon too- But PETG is just easy and hasen't warped surprisingly!
    i only use prusament PETG and print 255c with 80c bed

12. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

yeah that seckit is not as good anymore, quality issues - better options out there for kits.

agree with m3k with printing anything over 220 with stock hotend. an all metal hotend will cost around $100 plus a few nozzles is a good upgrade.

13. Franc

Franc Member

My bad, it is around $1500.

Very expensive IMO, but horses for courses. I have two SV03's and im still way under the cost of this with the same build volume.

14. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

An all Metal hot end is pretty cheap , no where near $100 unless you are counting replacing the extruder ect as well. Bigtreetech makes an Ender/CR compatible all metal heat break for $7-10 and their stuff is normally reasonable quality, just make sure you get one that has the narrower opening that does not put the PTFE tube into the hot end.

Left is the correct one and the right is the more stock one.
    [​IMG]

As for Filament max environment temps

PLA - 50-60C
    PETG - 70-80C
    ASB/ASA - 90-100C

Not sure of many cars that get to 70C (In the cabin or anything not right near the engine or exhaust) so PETG should be fine in most cases.

Can print PLA and PETG just fine on and Ender 3 and if you build an enclosure and heat it a bit you can just about get by with ABS if you are parts are small though its a bit hit an miss depending on the part geometry. I have never tried Nylon so I cant really say for that but I hear is more of a pain than ABS.

15. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

was thinking more along the lines of a microswiss or TL dragon which is a complete hotend rather than just the heatbreak.

ive had decent prints just enclosing with timber panels and using esun abs+, so there are options.
    all depends on how much fussing around you want to do really

16. SCorpion2

SCorpion2 Member

There's plenty of second hand printers going round. I'm looking at a Flashforge Dreamer or Flashforge Creator Pro. They both seem much of a muchness. Neither have an all metal hot end so I can see that happening in the future as well, after I've got a bit of a handle on things.

Heat is one consideration for filament type but the other is UV stability. We all know it doesn't take long for some plastics to go brittle and fail. In fact, most of the auto based 3D printing I have planned is because plastics have failed due to UV.

Also seems that layer adhesion is gonna be important, particularly where it relates to printer heat and strength. I can see me spending some time having a play with that as well. Should be fun!

17. Franc

Franc Member

All metal can also be a PITA due to heat creep

18. SCorpion2

SCorpion2 Member

How so? I've never printed before.

19. Franc

Franc Member

20. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

its when the plastic in the heatbreak is being melted and causes the whole hotend to clog. dont have that issue with a normal hotend coz the ptfe tube goes all the way down.
    if you have good hotend cooling and dont switch off the fans after printing till the hotend is at least under 100deg then should be ok in that sense...