3D printer ideas?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Spanos, Apr 5, 2021.

1. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Wouldn't be too worried about heat creep tbh, most modern hotend designs are designed well enough to handle it. Just make sure you leave the printer on while it cools down instead of turning it off as soon as a print is done.

All metal hotends are a dime a dozen nowadays anyway, plenty of copies about for a fraction of the more well known brands too.

m3k likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Spanos

Spanos Member

Ok. Cool. Something to look out for then. Ta.

3. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

There are a lot of cheap hotends listed as all metal but some I've seen still use a PTFE tube in them which seems to negate the advantage of an all metal hotend. Any recommendations for an all metal clone? Budget doesn't extend to a Swiss just now :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  4. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

from what ive heard the trianglelab clones on aliexpress arent too bad. maybe good idea to choose one where you can use the same nozzles that you have or will use later.
    the microswiss is $85?

5. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Might try the Triangle Labs one. I bought one of their Orbiter extruders and it seems very well made (still to fit, waiting for my XChange tool-changer)

6. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Triangle labs or BiQU on aliexpress. A bit of choice. They have drop in replacements for 15-30 USD for Ender/CR models otherwise they have e3d v6 all metals for about the same price.

The PTFE part you might see in these nozzles typically will only stay in the cool section of the hotend and act more as a guide between the extruder and hotend itself. Would only be worried if the tubing goes past the heat break.

7. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

let us know how the orbiter goes, i printed all the parts to make a sherpa mini and have the stepper but yet to put it together..

8. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

I’ve been printing on a Prusa i3 MK3 these last couple of years, but it;s slow and painful more often than not, as my pieces are always a bit bigger, takes to much time.

So currently have at home and ordered about 95% of the bits and pieces to build a 365x365x390 HevOrt, with 3 servos on the Z-axis. Will start a log here somewhere once the 3030 comes in.

Cheers,
    Beano

9. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Hope to tackle that 'soon'. Currently rebuilding a K40 laser cutter/engraver that's taking most of my time.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  10. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Some offer heat breaks that have a tiny piece of PTFE in the heat break but they normally offer the full all metal heat breaks too.

Like so. Normally a drop in replacement for a E3D V6.

[​IMG]

tumutbound likes this.
  11. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

ah...look forward to seeing that. do you mind me asking how much you are budgeting for it?

12. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Oh chit Mate, I'm to scared to even think how much it will all come to at the end. Luckily I have the Duet Wifi controller, BLTouch, 0.9deg and 1.8deg steppers, PSU, Keenovo silicone heater, etc, but splurged big these last few days on HiWin MGN12 rails and 12mm ball-screws, fasteners, brackets and stuff....and I still need the Duet Expander board for the 3rd Z-axis servo....blah....

So now waiting for all the frame hardware to be delivered, most still not shipped from Suppliers, blah. Guess it gives me time to start printing the plastic bits already, poor old Prusa is going to be busy this next week I would imagine.

But will keep you posted ;)

13. ominae

ominae Member

I ended up cancelling my microswiss direct drive order and getting an orbiter. I’ll have to assembly stock printer first to print orbiter bracket then install it ><

14. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

if you're in melb i can print one off in abs for u...lol

15. ominae

ominae Member

Thanks mate but I’m in Brissie :(

16. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

View attachment 35574
    Have you installed/used the orbiter yet? I've been holding off installing mine pending arrival of the Xchange tool changer from Printermods.com but I'm keen to give it a try. Ender 5 is currently in pieces gathering dust :thumbdn:

Spent today designing a small PCB for the Ender 5 so I can install 12V silent fans. PCB just has a 24V to 12V DC-DC converter and a number of 2 pin JST connectors for the fans. The fan connecters from the controller will plug into the board and the 12V fans will also plug into the board.I also added a 24V to 5V DC-DC converter for the Raspberry Pi running Octoprint

DC-DC_Converter.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  17. ominae

ominae Member

I've got the mount printed and installed - waiting for it to arrive from Ali >< plan to install straight away.

I've modified the thingiverse mount to work with Creality bltouch bracket and improve hot end cable route.

18. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

could have bought the orbiter from uniqueprints in melbourne - would have gotten it already:D

im interested to see how it goes on the ender, so keep us posted..

19. ominae

ominae Member

lol yeh I figured i'd save a few bucks - and that i'd be busy getting the new printer setup. But i'm ahead of schedule and extruder not here! Printer was pretty easy to dial in - bit of fussing about with mechanical fitment and alignment stuff.

Edit: there's an orbiter v2 coming in a few months too ><

Man I'm now keen on building a Voron too....... got the itch... I just cbf sourcing parts and I hear the aliexpress kits are a bit dodgy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  20. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

i thought aliexpress would be cheaper but the pancake motor (same as orbiter motor) is actually cheaper here lol.

yeah the voron is quite nice to build with lots of support from the community. only hard thing is sourcing all the parts, i cheated and got a kit (not alie). pm me if you want an invite to thier discord channel.