3d printer troubleshooting/tweaking/building

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by rockofclay, Aug 14, 2020.

1. m3k

m3k Member

wow looks great! thats amazing, its just the surface pattern similar one i had before i replaced my rollers that got flatspots in shipping- honestly tho i hear if u print enough itl just fix itself over time :p

2. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Not sure if you've seen the latest video from Teaching Tech but it covers a quick change print head system from Printer Mods.
    It looked pretty good to me so I've ordered one of these for my Ender 5 along with their direct drive kit and the linear rail mods (it's Christmas and I deserve it!). Ordered the rails from Aliexpress
    It's a manual system but there are plans ot make it automatic at some point.
    Check it out.

N.B. The Xchange is a Kickstarter so usual caveats apply.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    rockofclay likes this.
  3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Direct drive conversion kit and new hotend came today, I'm honestly pretty damn bewildered at the delivery time, ordered on the 9th, shipped out on the 12th and in my hands this morning. I've still got outstanding aliexpress orders from mid november. I've spent the last week futzing around with fitting a e3dv6 hotend to my cr10s pro after threading out the stock heater block swapping out nozzles late at night. Thought I wasn't going to get this until mid jan at the earliest.

[​IMG]

Kit comes with everything you need to do the swap, new carriage plate, direct drive mounting, printed housing for the hotend/cooling which includes space for a probe, new fans, new thermister and heater catridges, wiring out the wazoo etc etc There's so many bits that it's actually a bit daunting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will get around to the install maybe early next week, just started a multi day print :sick:

uLa32 likes this.
  4. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

That'll keep you busy until New Year. :)
    I've ordered a direct drive kit from Printer Mods, so I hope I get the same quick delivery from the US.

5. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Big print failed, decided to fit the kit today and my dumbass didn't think about the motor - stock one is too thick and hits the Z extrusions

[​IMG]

Pancake motor on the way from PhaserFPV. Can't reverse mount either due to the way the included housing is setup, the printermods kit is better in this regard.

The install process wasn't too bad, instructions could be a bit clearer from Trianglelabs and it surely couldn't kill them to include some drivers over allen keys.

6. m3k

m3k Member

phaser has the fastest shipping so u did good choosing them- i saw once a leaked a document with them testing like 15 different courier services and ranking their speeds, and it was like Test one out of 50 or smth
    talk about customer service LOL

7. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Pancake motor arrived, direct drive upgrade is done, powering away through a print now. Will throw up some comparison shots once it's done, currently reprinting a piece that didn't come out too well with the previous setup. But sort one thing and another thing goes :tired: Been meaning to sort out an enclosure for the skr 1.4 on my cocoon create for awhile (and was actually in the middle of designing one) but accidentally dropped an allen key over the board and fried two of the drivers, they just overheat now and mess with the rest of the board. New drivers on the way and enclosure will be sorted in the meantime.

The ender 3 v2's do look good though...

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Has anyone here built a Voron 2.x here?

I just discovered it and it looks freaking awesome.

wondering if anyone has made one and can comment on the approx cost to them? I’m guessing it’s going to be fairly expensive.

9. m3k

m3k Member

more expensive than a prusa- and wont print as good (okay maybe it will) :) but whoever thought of 4 belt Z axis is dumb- 3 would be perfect but 4 is asking for taco time.
    of-course the software tries to compensate via the bed leveling algo but this requires the worlds most flat bed made on earth- id rather just simplify it and start with a properly built frame to begin with

however:

they're downright sexy in black and red- black and orange- black and blue- White and red- black and white - etc etc ill admit
    plus they use way too many PCBS its so silly.

not to mention cant do half of marlins sweet stuff with core-xy like backlash compensation- and proper acceleration without it crapping itself, and the ABL is confusing and convoluted to say the least.

best save your money IMHO

no offense to those who built a voron, i met a couple, and once they ironed out the kinks they print very well- But like - not for the money IMHO. and theres something about voron owners that think their printers the best thing since sliced bread and that modifying a voron is sacrilege like the cult of the voron lol. (im only joking... sort of)

also this company ripped them off
    https://www.vivedino.com/vivedino-c...orexy-fully-enclosed-3d-printer-p2364994.html
    and sort of got their blessing which was surprising, id imagine a lawsuit LOL
    but yeah paying 1.5k USD will probably be similar price to building one from scratch parts
    if you do build a voron - please share it because its a very goodlooking printer- its still eyecandy none the less- and id rather a voron over half the cr10 clones - note i said- half- not all :p
    also one benefit is you wont have layer shift due to bent z-rods :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    holdennutta likes this.
  10. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I installed a Meanwell power supply in the Ender 5 recently and, unlike the supplied power supply, has a temperature controlled fan which seems to work well but was very loud.
    I've now changed this for a silent fan (Gelid Silent 60) and now it's undetectable - unless you put your ear very close to the power supply.
    The fan did need minor surgery to replce the 3 pin plug with a 2 pin one (should have taken some pictures) but otherwise straight forward. Despite the power supply being 24v, the internal fan is actually 12v.

Still to fit a 24v-12v DC-Dc converter so I can change the case and hotend/part fas over to 12v silent ones.
    Still waiting for my Printermods part so I can install the linear rails and direct drive extruder.

11. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks m3k. They certainly do look very nice and I really like the XY gantry arrangement on the linear rails.
    I joined their discord and the guys on there are quite helpful but it sounds like some of them have ended up spending something like 2000USD on getting the parts to build theirs. I'm not in price range really.
    https://magicstudio.xyz/product/voron-v2-4-customized-kit/ this kit seems like pretty decent value - depending on shipping.

I might be better off seeing if the Ender 3 linear rails and dual z axis kits will fit my CR-20 Pro. It's like the creality red headed step child of printers. Doesn't even exist on their website any more. Seems like it's a Ender 3 gen 1 with most of the upgrade bits already installed. I dunno.

Or maybe I save up for when Prusa shove a 32bit main board in one of their full sized ones. Those are my main wants really:
    - 32bit controller
    - linear rails
    - direct drive extruder
    - dual Z axis of some form
    - +/- enclosure with filter. I'd like to do ABS one day.

12. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

<RANT> Fed up of online stores that say they accept PayPal but require you to create an account providing all the personal details that they can get from PayPal when the transaction is approved.
    That's $150 that will be going to some other business </RANT> :(

13. m3k

m3k Member

id suggest u add geared direct drive extruder to that list- to hide any moire patterns and for it to pull on bigger spools effortlessly,

enclosures can be made after the fact-

also linear rails is such a loose term- just having linear rails wont make print quality better automatically- there are poor tolerance and tight tolerance linear rails- thats why rollers on extrusions are better because you can adjust the tolerance with the eccentric nut

if u learn how to setup firmware its very easy to add a 32bit board to any printer after you get it with some basic wiring and crimping skills

14. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Just received my Printermods.com stuff!
    Direct drive extruder adapter and linear rail adapters (still waiting for linear rails from China)
    I have to wait until April for the XChange tool changer - the reason for the linear rail upgrade.
    printermod1.jpg
    printermod2.jpg

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Fair points. Decided to start with the 32bit board and then research direct drive extruder.

Just ordered a SKT e3 Mini v2 from banggood for some 32bit goodness.

16. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Received my linear rails, mainly for the Printermods.com direct drive adapter. Not sure if I can mount these with the standard Ender 5 extruder plate or if I have to do the direect drive update at the same time

Attached Files:

17. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Slight snag with the linear rails.Y axis rails are installed OK, not that difficult but a bit fiddly. It seems that they don't work with the standard Ender 5 carriage plate so the X axis is not yet fitted. I do have the Printermods direct drive update but hadn't planned to fit it untile an ordered extruder (Orbiter) arrives. A job to think about in the morning :)

EDIT: Seems I ordered MGN12C instead of MGN12H rails/carriages for the X-axis. Difference is in the size of the carriage - 12H is wider so the hole spacing is wider (20mm instead of 15mm) I can get by with using only 2 screws instead of 4, there's not a lot of force on the carriage after all. At least I would be able to if the printermods kit had provided the correct length screws! I'll need to grind them down as I don't have any of suitable length and my local hardware store doesn't seem to deal in metric...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  18. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

re: voron 2.4 - i dont have the 2.4 but i ended up building a v0. fits and prints 95% of all the things i want, the odd larger pieces i still use the ender 3.
    unless you need the size, and want all the bells and whistles then the 1.8 is decent, there are even many other options for corexy not just vorons - ie blv, hypercube evo...but i guess with the voron like you discovered there is plenty of support through discord. you could save a bit of money by ordering just the basic kit and get everything else localy -frame, panels.

regarding upgrading your existing - i think it is not worth the cost, outlay for rails, 32bit board, extruder, hotend etc adds up fast and you could of spent a little more to build something that would be better from the start.

19. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

anyone printing with 3dfillies plaflex find it leaves chunks in (or takes chunks out of) their bed?

The adhesion is great but there's some definite marking on my bed that I dont get out of TPU or standard PLA :Paranoid:

20. m3k

m3k Member

gluestick diluted in water to create a sacrificial layer to save ur bed