3d printer troubleshooting/tweaking/building

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by rockofclay, Aug 14, 2020.

1. uLa32

uLa32 Member

with all the talk of hotends, i got one to try and arrived today. this will go on the ender 3 pro.
    D2043873-5366-462B-BCDA-611188B04C56.jpeg

and thanks to Franc in the other thread i got myself a sovol sv03 as well. looking forward to putting that together when it arrives and doing some bigger prints.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

quoting for update purposes.

the DDX / Mosqiuto setup has had a two week monster session, multiple prints per day each many hours long.
    very happy with the reliable performance of it. no failed prints.

[​IMG]

Hp88 likes this.
  3. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Received my new Orbiter extruder this week from Triagle Labs, look forward to getting it installed (when the 'pending' mods are done...)
    It looks to be very well made, solid but light.
    It will be installed on the PrinterMods direct drive adapter I've had for a while , after the linear rail mod is finished.
    I also bought a bl-touch (OK, a cheap knock off). Bit of a catch 22 as I need to print some mounting bts which I can't do until the printer is back together which I can't do until I print the bits. I can put the stock extruder setup back on to fix that problem.

orbiter1.jpg orbiter2.jpg orbiter3.jpg

4. m3k

m3k Member

very very interesting

5. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I can make custom cables for the BLTouch(copy) if you don't want to buy extenders and such.

6. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I can make the extender cables if required. Problem is I need to reprint the mount to include a bracket for the BDtouch (I'll end up doing this at the local makerspace)
    I ordered and payed for 2 BD-Tocuch but only received one. Try to get this resolved without placing a new order which the supplier wants me to do.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  7. mtma

mtma Member

Have been getting by with belt squeak and suspected belt stretch for a while but today just changed out the old Robotdigg belts for Bando STS ones. Now all the belt squeak is gone and seems to run smoother all over - only really hearing the steppers now.

The tooth and pulley profile is not exactly the same as GT2 but there was hardly anything in it so I thought I'd give them a go. They're running on Robotdigg brass pulleys which have a pretty accurate bore.

Next step is to change out the linear roller bearings in the head cartridge, they're very well worn out. The top of the carriage is also cracked (a printed part) so will be replacing it with some CF nylon or XT prints too.

8. Hp88

Hp88 Member

Nice setup mate, nothing beats good quality components for reliability and great results.

9. ominae

ominae Member

Hey mate - what motor did you end up getting? Did you have to make any firmware changes when you fit it? (Different step angle to stock?) Thanks :)

10. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Grabbed the bondtech pancake

Bondtech Nema17 Pancake Stepper Motor 25mm (1.8°) - 13003A (phaserfpv.com.au)

and yeah quick changes to the e-steps, can be done through the printer or whatever other interface. Pretty easy swap over

ominae likes this.
  11. ominae

ominae Member

Thanks Radiant.

I ordered one of those Microswiss direct drive kits (I haven’t even received my Ender 3 pro yet lol) - but now I’m concerned my printer is one of the newer ones where stepper motor has a press fit pinion instead of one with grub screw.

Anyone considered an orbiter extruder for direct drive?

https://uniqueprints.shop/shop/extruder-hotend/orbiter-extruder-v1-5-kit/
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4223085/comments

Edit:
    Lol I just noticed the post above by tumutbound - have ya got the orbiter installed yet? :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  12. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

print a gear puller to take the gear off - something like this
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3749137

13. ominae

ominae Member

Yah nice - do I need to cut/grind/file a notch/flat into the shaft for the new gear? Or just grub it into the round shaft tight af?

14. uLa32

uLa32 Member

finally had the chance to finish up installing the microswiss hotend with the direct drive and can confirm that it clears so you don’t lose any height. i still ended up getting an extender kit for it tho. that should raise my z from 250 to about 350ish according to the description on ebay.
    35335E9E-4C33-4F94-9A6D-361C9DB8298C.jpeg

i also got the sv03 dialed in and running. sooo good being able to print big things in one go without breaking it up and gluing later.

first thing i did was the obligatory octopi for some quality of life stuff, but its still a bit noisy compared to my ender 3 pro. i’ll see if can put in some spare nexus 120mm fans that i have to quieten it down. also got the slicer profiles done to accomodate the bigger build plate and settings, so i think a petg and an abs print will be on the cards soon.

i’ve also got a spare skr 1.4 turbo with the tft35 and tft50 to chuck in if the urge to tinker gets too strong.

very happy with the sv03 coz it’s damn good value for money. direct drive, dual z motors, bltouch, silent mobo and runout sensor all for just a tad over 500 dollarydoos.
    5D6BDFAB-2CAA-42EC-B09D-F1B73585016F.jpeg

thanks for the link too for the pancake stepper .Radiant. i think ill need one of them soon.

ominae likes this.
  15. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

wouldnt hurt to grind a flat. one thing to worry less about.

got a link to the kit? i know there is an extender kit available from the states but shipping is pretty expensive...

16. uLa32

uLa32 Member

garfield2k likes this.
  17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Anyone looking at the TL Dragon hot-end (probably the other TL hotends as well), avoid the High flow version if you can. Could never dial mine in with stringing and zits everywhere no matter what I did and I tried everything. Ordered the standard version and fitted it this morning, 0.4mm retraction, 25mm/s and bingo. Stringing and zit free

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

if you don't plan on using giant nozzels (0.8, 1.0 etc.), a high flow hot end results in those kinds of problems.

19. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Typically printing with 0.8mm but ran up to 1.2mm trying to solve it.

The standard flow version is handling a 0.8mm nozzle fine, at speed too.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

wow, it must have a much bigger internal volume than I'm thinking then.