3d printer troubleshooting/tweaking/building

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by rockofclay, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

This is a great video about filaments.

2. apsilon

apsilon Member

I bought a Prusa Mk3S a a fair while ago but life and things got in the way so I never got around to building it but I've finally found the time and finished it a couple of days ago. Hoping I could get some opinions on the below to confirm what I think. Ignore the bit of stringing that got included, I think that must've leaked while I had the hotend warmed up and I didn't notice it.

This is the base of one of those 20mm calibration cubes. I'm pretty happy with it but want to confirm my first layer looks right. I think it does but just looking for some reassurance. Also, at the top of the pic, that initial first perimeter, is that under extrusion? Measuring XYZ with my calipers I get 19.99, 19.99 and 20.11 which I think is pretty good given I've done no tweaking other than some manual bed leveling so far.

[​IMG]

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

yep. but only initially, to solve that I like to add a skirt (if there's no brim for adhesion reasons) just so the extruder/hotend is properly primed/flowing before it starts the actual print.

4. apsilon

apsilon Member

Thanks, yeah I've printed a few other little things and didn't have the under extrusion at the start and I think the others did have a skirt which makes sense.

5. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

a lot of slicers add a priming line step at the start of the gcode to avoid those sorts of issues (stringing and ooze). Would be worth checking how your printer is set up in your slicer.

6. apsilon

apsilon Member

The G code for this one was from a Youtuber (Teaching Tech) who has a tuning page that generates the G code. It's basic and missing things like extruding a purge line or skirt. I know there's a risk running uunkown G code but he seems to have a large enough channel to be legit. The few I've sliced myself have all done the purge line and a skirt. I've still got a lot to learn and more tuning to do but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

7. m3k

m3k Member

nozzle could've purged more before starting, but mate that first layer is pretty-much perfect good work :) any more and you would've been elephant footing :D

8. apsilon

apsilon Member

Thanks, I was fairly confident it was right but good to get some confirmation. I had to adjust Z down way more than I was seeing other people say. I have to do it again for my textured sheet but apparently they're around .3 thinner so having one set up I have a head start.