3D printing - how do you remove prints from the bed??

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sjhupp, Mar 27, 2020.

1. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

Ok, really hoping someone has some magic tricks to help me please.
    I grabbed a cheap Monoprice mini V2 printer from Amazon to keep me amused whilst isolated. Printed my first thing, no issues. Yesterday I tried to print a figure on it, and left it to cool overnight.
    Apparently some sneaky little elves snuck in to the spare room overnight and superglued the model to the build plate as a joke, as it was almost concreted on!!
    I could lift half the printer off the table just with the little zombie figure.
    I didn't want to use anything metal and damage the plate.
    I tried pressing a cold brick to the figure to decrease the temp of it, but made no difference.
    Can't get floss under it at all.
    Their included plastic spatula is rubbish.
    I even resorted to placing a block of wood next to it and hitting it with a rubber mallet to knock it, but no help.
    Eventually I had to reheat the bed and start working on it while it cooled again, and finally it came off.

So what's the best way to do this in future?
    What settings are best to adjust to stop it sticking like glue to the build plate?
    Is it the heated bed temp (was 50'C)? or the thickness of the first layer?
    Any help appreciated.

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Don't worry about damaging the actual bed. You can scrape them (usually) with considerable force before they actually get damage. I used to use a paint scrapper. Worked great.

I love my printer, because it came with a magnetic mat that you place over the bed. It's fantastic!

3. OP
    OP
    sjhupp

sjhupp Member

Yeah, a lot of people like those, or glass beds, but I'd have to adjust the height if I changed it or added one (has a limit switch stuck on the side). Will try one more print and see how it goes.
    Great little machines anyway - can print some replacement figures for some old boardgames finally!

Madengineer likes this.
  4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I never even thought of that! :D

I've just finished my 3rd DND tile in 24 hours :D

5. OP
    OP
    sjhupp

sjhupp Member

What tiles are you printing? Thought of that, but mine is only a small printer (100mm area)
    I did some mummies and skeletons, didn't turn out too bad. Good enough to tell what they are.
    I have NFI on what the perfect settings are, but will do some research. Dropping the bed temp to 50 helped a bit, but models are still damn hard to remove. Down to 45'C and the first lines didn't all stick, so can't go lower.