3D Printing Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

2. Kosti

Kosti Member

Very keen to throw a project over to you for my car, get in touch with me when u got time to discuss :thumbup:

3. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

Not sure if any of your guys know what an Air flow meter is, but it sits in the engine bay of a car and has a sensor inside it.

Its a plastic tube.

I need to print out 2 of them, and I am worried they won't be able to handle the environment in the engine bay. I'd assume temps will get to 60 degrees around them, and there would be a bit of vibration.

I am looking at getting printed by someone too. I already have them drawn up, and have increased the wall thickness to 5mm for extra strength.

If you have any experience, can you let me know? Someone said ABS plastic would be the go?

4. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

provided you aren't running forced induction, i think that they should be fine.

ABS would be the go id say and those temps should be fine, the plastic melting point is around 190-240deg usually.

If you were worried about strength then you could always design it around a pvc pipe and a printed bracket for the sensor to screw on to the side of the pipe although i would say that it would be plenty strong enough as long as its fitted securely

5. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

haha that is the catch - they are going on my GTR.

They are on the vacuum side though, no pressure going through them. The turbos will only be sucking through them.

Can you see any issues? The idea of a PVC pipe going through the center sounds like a good idea but the internal diameter needs to be 74mm. Not sure if they will have that specific size?

6. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

ah yeh lol, true true haha i need more coffee it seems, is there a particular reason for 74mm? Z32 AFMs are 76mm/3" from memory...

but shouldn't be an issue that I can see, you can always add ridges/sections on the outside for brackets and strengthening if required anyway...

7. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

haha all good.

What I have done is had a AFM drawn up that takes the R35 GTR AFM "insert" and the software has been calibrated to take the 74mm internal diameter.

You'll find the ID of the z32 is 74mm too :)

8. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

Why not use a factory one?

9. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

What do you mean by that?

The factory ones don't flow anywhere near the amount of horsepower?

10. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

I didn't say the factory one, I said use a factory one. One that's much larger off a different car. What that might be off I don't know, but I know they do exist.

11. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

That's what I am doing.

I'm using 2 x R35 GTR AFM modules, but they need to be put into a pipe. Hence the printing.

I do not want to use 20 year old "other" factory AFMs because of exactly that. They are old and unreliable, and most of the time expensive.

This way, I can make something that is a direct replacement to my factory items, and won't have to modify piping.

12. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Can't you just use new Bosch z32 afm? That's what I've got on my s15. Can buy as a brand new part. About 320 each with a wiring plug. Or do you need something with higher resolution afm?

13. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

Yes I can do that, at the wonderful price of $640, with te risk of getting a fake one, and it dying within 1-2 years.

Or I can make 2x R35 GTR AFM, for $160 plus printing costs, that are much more advanced and accurate.

Trust me... I'm a tuner. I have changed plenty of AFMs and dealt with them all.

I want something new and not Z32.

14. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

$5 plus postage.

Ah fair enough then. :)
    FWIW I can do up to about a 130 mm diameter tube.

15. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

16. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

Too difficult for me sorry.

17. Stumbling Goat

Stumbling Goat Member

Hey guys, I'm currently doing a thesis on structural optimisation for my Civil Engineering degree. What I basically do is take a truss (typically made out of steel) and optimise it for weight, strength, buckling and deflection using a Genetic Algorithm.

ANYWAY, what I thought would be cool is to print some models of the trusses which have been optimised such that you could inspect the results with your hands. How do the plastics perform as a material? Are they very stiff or can the be a bit flexible? I guess i would like the result to deform a bit under loading without snapping...

I only work in 2D at the moment, so I would need to figure out the thickness's of each member (3rd dimension), but that shouldnt be too hard.

Heres some samples of some trusses:

Unoptimised:
    [​IMG]

Optimised:
    [​IMG]

Also, what dimensions do you think would be adequate?

Thanks!

18. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Member

19. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Can anyone hook me up with one of these?

http://ytec3d.com/pip-boy/

The files are at the bottom of the page.
    (I'll also need postage to Japan, but I do have an address in Australia if international post is too hard).

20. patto

patto Member

Why not just get them done out of steel plate?

Laser cutters normally charge around $2.5/kg or 0.25cent per gram!!

Of course you would probably pay 10x more for a small job but it would still be damn cheap.