3D Printing Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. l3git

l3git Member

cool, will send you a PM now :)

2. Xipher

Xipher Member

sent you a pm :thumbup:

3. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

If the above order inflates with shipping; I can do that for $10, pickup in Footscray, or $14 posted.

4. xc351

xc351 Member

5. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

$10 in PLA, $12 in ABS, $10 postage anywhere in Australia, and local pickup available in Footscray.

I've got Navy & Denim blue, and black. Send me a PM if that's satisfactory.

6. project smokey

project smokey Member

A power supply shroud ?

7. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

Are you requesting one? Have you ever had anything designed and/or manufactured before?

8. project smokey

project smokey Member

Hi yes i would like one but no i havent had anything designed before

9. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

Well, it's not as straight forward a process as with the other requests, where they have found something on a website like Thingiverse.com, and the costs involved are something that a lot of people baulk at. I had someone, for example, ask me if it was possible to print a replacement rim for his car, and because I told him that it was, I ended up in a lengthy discussion with someone whose budget for the project was maybe less than 5% of what I could do it for.

That said; this may be cheaper! And I actually like the conversations.

So, from what I gather, you want something that covers your specific type of Power Supply, or perhaps separates it from the rest of the components in your case in some way, that allows you to cool the compartments separately.

If I'm following these are the steps that we'd need to take:

1. First, you take lots of photos of the inside of your case and send them to me
    2. Then I tell you where you need to measure stuff, and how precisely
    3. Then I send you some fitting tests, if I'm not confident
    4. Then we get to the final model

If I was to make a WILD guess as to the cost of manufacturing something that fit this purpose, it would be about $15-45 depending on the layout of your case, but I charge a minimum of $45 an hour to do design work. So I can easily and cheaply print and send a design you mock up in TinkerCAD or find on a website, but the liability for getting the measurements right rests with you. If you get me to design the model, again, depending on the complexity, it could take me anywhere from 1 to 10 hours work!

Of course, I wouldn't charge you for taking photos, and sending me sketches of what you think this thing would look like! And if you did that, I'd have a better idea of how long it might take to design and print. Hell, I might even be able to tell you how to start doing the CAD work yourself.

10. lionman

lionman Member

Do you have a photo/link of something similar to what your after?

11. mike-s

mike-s Member

This sounds like a conversation i had with my workmate whom just didn't get that "i tell you the dimensions and you print it" isn't quite enough.

12. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

Absolutely. But actually, I like the human side of this business. I used to find it frustrating, until I figured out how to use the right language to explain the problems with design. A lot of my work now is in explaining how to make a design both printable, and functional, or where that fails, in producing support structure so that it prints perfectly. Until the tools improve, people like us, with more experience 3D printing can act as a very effective conduit between other people's ideas and their formation.

And honestly, I cannot express how magical an experience it was, after a full 16 years of making 3D models in a virtual world, to see one of my ideas come to life, layer by layer. Sharing that feeling isn't the worst thing I've ever done.

13. lionman

lionman Member

It depends on how many dimensions there are really.

Its no that hard to make a quick and dirty model of a simple bracket or similar.

Anything that is complex in shape or requiring tighter tolerances then more effort and a lot more skill is needed.

14. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

True. I had a friend who bought some battery indicators for his 4wd recently, and they didn't fit the recesses on his dash, so with some accurate (calliper) measurements I was able to print him a fittings that held his battery indicators, and slotted into the thinner slots on his vehicle. But it definitely helped, that I was able to do the measurements.

15. damn duck

damn duck Member

Show us some photos!

16. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

Hahaha. Photos can't express that feeling. But here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Printing courtesy of CCHS.

17. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Thread bump - just got my Ultimaker up and running again. :thumbup: Taking print requests.

Can do prints down to 25 micron (0.025mm) if you so wish :D (yes I've tried it!).

Happy to help the OCAU community with any 3D printing related matters. :)

18. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

Menthu, how are you printing at 25 microns? What nozzle diameter are you using? Or are you talking about XY accuracy?

What slicer are you using?

19. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

It was 25 micron layer height - not feature size obviously. Using a 0.4mm nozzle - netfabb engine for slicing and pronterface for g-code sending.

I printed this model:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7900

When it did the first couple of layers I was worried if it was even printing - haha.

Reason for using netfabb engine is that I've noticed that a lot of the open source slicers have issues with certain types of geometry - such as the t-rex skull (look at the top part of the skull near the nose):

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:217578

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:219044

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:169243

Netfabb engine is by far the best slicing software for shape extrude-type prints. I need to investigate more to see if I can get retract functioning in the build I've got.

Anyway - not claiming to have the best printer in the world or anything - just saying I'm happy to do prints, provide advice and that I can do fine layers if you really want them. :thumbup:

20. MortarArt

MortarArt Member

I'd love to see your 25 micron print of this model. I've heard people rave about Ultimakers before, but they must have something special if they can do layer heights like that from a 0.4mm nozzle.