3D Printing Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. grrrr

grrrr Member

Thankyou so much for your time quoting all that nibennett. I am also speaking with a local guy that I know that flys quads. If he seems too difficult I will take you up on the offer.

2. nibennett

nibennett Member

Your welcome. It shouldn’t be too hard a print, just takes a fair bit of time for the r2d2.
    Was only about 5mins to download the files and put them through my slicer.
    If he prints the recessed one for you get him to run it through netfab as the stl file has a few errors and that will fix it.

Local will also save you the shipping which is a large portion of most prints these days.

3. WalterX

WalterX Member

4. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out please, i'd like to get a custom printed adapter plate to fit a Sony Action cam (link) to a DJI Osmo Mobile 2 Gimbal (link)

So far I can only find plates to fit up a GoPro. (link) I'll have to measure it up and come up with a design, but just wanted to see if this would be too pricey as an idea.

Perhaps it would be cheaper to just sell the Sony Action cam, get a GoPro :)

Thanks heaps for looking
    Chris.

5. nibennett

nibennett Member

Chris we'd need a model to be able to give you a price as would depend on print time, how much material and what material you want it printed out of.
    If you make up a model I'm happy to give you a quote.

cmi83 likes this.
  6. Hater

Hater Member

Anyone want to make a pair of trays that allow you to mount 2.5" drives in 3.5" drive bays?

Very generic and easy to get, but moneys better off going to OCAU than to random eBay people

7. nibennett

nibennett Member

8. Hater

Hater Member

9. azn2k

azn2k Member

10. nibennett

nibennett Member

the expensive part is the shipping. would only be a couple dollars for the part.

$3.50 for the part but shipping would be
    $1.75 for a BX1 box,
    $7.95 for shipping.
    Total would be
    $13.20 for one.

Happy to do it if you want but you'll be able to save a lot if you can find someone on here from Canberra.

11. nibennett

nibennett Member

Whats it the brake duct for ? (I.e. temperatures it will be exposed to ? ) (To help determine what material would be needed.)
    (The material used makes a big difference in price to print, if it requires a more exotic filament or whether simple PLA is fine)
    The angle isn't an issue as long as the print will still meet its purpose when rotated to print with the flat side down.
    How many of them do you need ? (There are 2 files but both are the same file)

where in australia are you ?
    Shipping would be $2.30 for a BX18 box + 7.95 for the shipping. = $10.25 + Price of the part.

12. azn2k

azn2k Member

It's a front bumper duct so no real 'high temp'. Ambient temperatures of about 30 degrees would be the peak so I think PLA, coated in paint will be OK.

Sorry, I had linked it twice accidentally. Would be after 2 prints total (this part and a mirror image of it.

13. nibennett

nibennett Member

Hi azn2k,

Quote -
    Part (Both parts) - 18h Print $29.75
    Shipping would be $2.30 for a BX18 box + 7.95 for the shipping. = $10.25
    Total = $40

I could also do it in ABS if you rather for $2 more but only have 1 colour of that currently (Yellow)

PLA colours i have are
    White
    Black
    Green
    Blue
    Sky Blue
    Pink
    Yellow
    Brown
    Orange
    Grey
    Transparent Purple
    Transparent White/Clear (Comes out a bit cloudy)

14. azn2k

azn2k Member

Thanks nibennett,

Will see if there is anyone local first, if not I'll head your way.

Thanks
    Kevin

nibennett likes this.
  15. nibennett

nibennett Member

your welcome

16. pinchies

pinchies Member

I think PLA is probably not a sensible choice for anything exposed to sunlight, due to softening at 60 degC. I think I can do the parts in PETG locally for a fairly similar price. Can you make me an STL? I'm having a hard time getting solidworks to spit out a nice STL from the STP file.

(I can also try ABS if you'd like, but I don't find it to be as reliable to print with for large parts)

17. nibennett

nibennett Member

https://www.makexyz.com/convert/stp-to-stl That will work to convert the file. (What I used to turn it into an STL that i could use in Slic3r.)

Agreed ABS/PETG are probably the better material. (I can print either as well but not local.) (PETG would be same price as the ABS for me to print)
    If you do go with PLA make sure you use a UV resistant paint to make it last longer.

pinchies likes this.
  18. poleposition

poleposition Member

Hey all,
    I am hoping to get 4 or 6 of the following items printed. They are brackets for some Klipsch speakers

I am hoping to find a material that would be better suited to higher strength (as it will be holding a 2kg speaker) and a bolt will go through the hole to attach to a speaker stand.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/D...t-5-0-speaker-mount-adapter?optionId=41622753

The brackets are about 3-4 cm wide.

19. nibennett

nibennett Member

PLA is one of the stronger plastics. to make it stronger use more perimeters / higher infill. I'd be recommending Gyroid as the infill.
    https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/6887-strength-of-different-filaments/
    I don't have the time to model up something at the moment but if still looking in a few weeks- a month i might be able to at that point.
    (Flatout planning and getting ready for this term at the moment. - I'm a teacher)

If you do need someone to design the part along with print it you probably won't be much / any cheaper than just buying them though for a small quantity like 4-6.
    Fusion 360/Sketchup free would be good starting points if you'd like to try designing it for someone here to print.

If you can find an actual stl file online, there is probably a number of us here who can print / quote for you.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 9:20 PM
  20. poleposition

poleposition Member

Thanks very much for letting me know.
    I believe the creator on that site was willing to give the model file easy enough.

I wonder how much I might be looking at for each one (or a couple)