3D Printing Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mrwellzi

mrwellzi Member

Thanks for checking in!! Not yet at this stage. m3k has been slammed with work as of late and so just waiting for that to calm down. :)

h2oxide likes this.
  2. m3k

m3k Member

spent a hour designing this in CAD with mrwellzi on videochat

printing and shipping today :) [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    h2oxide likes this.
  3. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Nice! I'm definitely keeping you in mind if I ever need something 3d printed.

4. mrwellzi

mrwellzi Member

Was good fun. Thanks m3k! Hopefully it all works out! :)

5. blackied

blackied Member

Hi All,
    I'm wanting to get some tiles printed for my copy of Terraforming Mars to complement the upcoming big box. I'm not sure how many tiles I'm after just yet, but wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 20ish range. Here are some examples: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3408382

Anyone have suggestions on who to ask/see about getting these made and guesstimates on cost?

6. m3k

m3k Member

i can make them but you will have to remove the support materials and do your post processing and such it can be quite tedious and i cant promise very good overhang quality.

honestly these are GREAT candidates for resin printing.

7. blackied

blackied Member

What does that involve exactly with support materials and post processing? I'm out of my sphere of expertise here. I must admit I'm tempted to see if I can find someone on Gumtree or elsewhere that could try doing them in resin.

8. nibennett

nibennett Member

So those parts at the bottom that are built up and not part of the model are supports. (Used where the overhang is more than about a 45 degree angle. (Exact angle depends on the printer used as some can handle a little more and some a bit less)
    So for post processing basically removing that and then any sanding of places where they came off / any painting etc.
    so those big overhangs on a few of them and the really high detail on them make them much better candidates for resin printing than FDM. (most of us here have FDM, but a couple have some resin printers)

The more colours you want them printed in the more expensive they'll be. (The models are only single colour so would only be 1 colour each but if each tile was a different colour to the others would have to run each print separately making it more time for the person printing it and more actual print time.)
    The price you'd get quoted would depend on how many of which tiles exactly.
    On my FDM printer the tiles vary greatly in print time and material used. one tile is 42mins for example while another is 2h50m.
    I usually charge around $1 an hour (of printing time) for prints with a minimum of $1 for each print I set going but that can vary up / down depending on exact amount of filament / what filament is used (E.g I have both cheaper and more expensive filaments), the complexity of the print (e.g. how likely I think it is to fail, and thus my chance of having to print it multiple times.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  9. blackied

blackied Member

Thanks for the explanation, that helped a lot.

I looked at some of the people on Gumtree offering 3d printing services and for the above seven tiles was quoted $60-80 for FDM and $150-200 for resin. That sounds like it might be overkill based on your figures, but I could be wrong. Maybe I am better off getting some set from Etsy after all.

10. m3k

m3k Member

oh no, I can quote $34 Delivered for all the tiles Via FDM in Quality Filamentum filament at 0.1 layerheight. you can pm me your postage address and i can accept payment on delivery.
    $80 is too dear i agree- however the price for resin is about right. as you're dealing with dangerous chemicals when you print with resin and the cleanup and all that just means potential exposure to said material.
    just FYI a lot of the fine details dont show like on resin
    ill do a handful of tiles to see if ur ok with the quality and post them here

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. nibennett

nibennett Member

No that $60-80 is way overkill for the 7 tiles. m3k's offer is pretty good.
    those guys off gumtree are full commercial rate. (Likely doing it for a job)
    That around $1 an hour basically is just to cover my costs (power, filament, scheduled maintenance) and then a little bit extra to help cover depreciation on my printer.

m3k likes this.
  12. m3k

m3k Member

Yea nobody here is really making money from printing its more so a community service when your printers have downtime- maybe making enough cash to get an extra spool etc

the only reason i believe $80 is too dear is not because its not what its worth- its because it could be done cheaper by the kind folks here

however:
    note material cost isn't the only thing to consider as above said
    -Filament price
    -occasional maintenance like cleaning rods/bearings/lead-screws/ball-screws and re-lubricating nozzle replacement, upgrades
    -man-hours, setting up job, loading filaments/purging nozzles, removing item from bed etc
    packaging costs - bubble wrap, tape, etc
    -postage cost & losses from items damaged/lost in postage

- also covering for occasional machine failure- ie after all the printing the wires can fatigue and potentially burn up etc!

so i can see why people charge $60-80 esp if they have mouths to feed

also they need to return on investment- some fdm printers arnt cheap and can cost up to 20k - however most are between 250-2k

https://i.imgur.com/kPwRv0b.png

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  13. blackied

blackied Member

That's really useful to know, thanks muchly. I'd be happy to take you up on that offer m3k. If they come out ok there's a few more I'd like to get done as well (though not the full 93 tiles in the set linked off that thingiverse page :) ). Will PM address.

14. Franc

Franc Member

Its not just that, it can be failed prints and so-forth. I am surprised anyone does this - I would regard it as a complete PITA

15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

If you're going to print that many, buying your own resin printer may actually end up being cheaper. It's not even difficult to use. But cleaning process can be intimidating at first.

m3k likes this.
  16. m3k

m3k Member

https://i.imgur.com/Ih19ilg.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these parts are just simply suited for Resin- whilst you could deem these usable- its just at such a small scale that with FDM id need to change my nozzle and lower my acceleration values dramatically and then print time would be so high that even i would rather buy a resin printer ! :p

not to mention a good quality resin printer would still exhibit less layer artifacts
    ill send these to you for $10 if u pm me ur deets (covers shipping and bubblewrap and stuff)
    perhaps its best you see them in person and see if they're suitable for ur application

imho i dont think they're good enough :p im sure there are other fdm printers that could do a better job- some could even get near resin quality- but at this scale even if you could why would you bother :p

Either way if you're happy with them i can happily print you more- just i guess im more of a perfectionist when it comes to minis :p

also check out nibenett's offer, very good pricing

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  17. kjparker

kjparker Member

Can someone please give me an idea what it would cost to print this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1777358/files in ABS or PETG, Dont care what colour. Wont need nore than probably 40% infill, as I will not be using the holes in it for the belt tensioner, I have another option for that. My printer isnt currently up to the task of doing petg reliably and ABS is a PITA right now, with the need for an enclosure and all that.... Specifically need the hotend assembly and hot end clamp. The other parts I can do in PLA for now. Will need posted to Campbelltown, NSW, 2560

Incidently, if you are local to me, I can supply filament, either petg or ABS for it, if that makes it easier....

18. m3k

m3k Member

$14inc fast delivery in syd - for prusament petg
    can print in clear Polycarbonate+ABS for $25
    even faster n cheaper if ur close enough for dropoff hit me up in pms
    can do 4 shell layers and 75% infill for you nice n strong

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    andy8 likes this.
  19. mAple

mAple Member

I have a fan duct for a Dan A4 that I'd like printed in ABS or PETG posted to Sydney. Is anyone able to assist?

20. mrwellzi

mrwellzi Member

h2oxide an update for you... thanks to m3k for his exceptional skills, friendship and kindness throughout this whole process!! It was great to appreciate the level of skill involved in creating something like this from scratch!!! The link below will take you to the image of the finished product. :)

https://imgur.com/a/FRWYPij

m3k likes this.